Thread: Equipment for event shoot?

Default Equipment for event shoot?

Hi all,

I have an event coming up in a few days time. I'm taking photos of my friend as he will be up on stage. It would take place in a sports hall, with performances & all. I will be shooting mainly people & big group of performers. I would say the area is pretty well-lit (typical sports hall lighting).

I'm using a 50D with kit lens (18-135). Is it advisable to rent an additional lens (I was thinking more of telephoto, for the extra reach) & an external flash? Or am I good with my current set up.

Many thanks in advance!

Default Re: Equipment for event shoot?

Sports hall lighting usually cause massive WB headaches, depending on what type of gases are used in the bulbs, and how old the lamps are. Besides, down lighting also causes massive eye bags and shadows. Get an external flash and a diffuser, and practice with it till you're very familiar with settings.

You didn't state any details about the layout and restrictions/security issues, or what sort of access/vantage points you have to shoot from.

Neither do you mention any arrangements to group and arrange the performers. You will likely need some sort of elevated staggered platform/bleachers to arrange the people, and shoot from an elevated structure of some sort to capture everyone's faces.

Once you know these, you can figure what lenses you need or don't need, but my gut feel is unless you need to shoot from a great distance like halfway across the hall, your kit lens might be sufficient.

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Sports hall lighting usually cause massive WB headaches, depending on what type of gases are used in the bulbs, and how old the lamps are. Besides, down lighting also causes massive eye bags and shadows. Get an external flash and a diffuser, and practice with it till you're very familiar with settings.

You didn't state any details about the layout and restrictions/security issues, or what sort of access/vantage points you have to shoot from.

Neither do you mention any arrangements to group and arrange the performers. You will likely need some sort of elevated staggered platform/bleachers to arrange the people, and shoot from an elevated structure of some sort to capture everyone's faces.

Once you know these, you can figure what lenses you need or don't need, but my gut feel is unless you need to shoot from a great distance like halfway across the hall, your kit lens might be sufficient.

All the best.

Hi Dream,

Thanks for your comments! I will be shooting for a school concert. So, as long as I have a camera with me, there aren't much restrictions (ie. I can go anywhere I want, including backstage. & yes, Im a student. haha.).

Unfortunately, there won't be any elevated structures. There is only the second level, which is way back in the hall. Therefore my kit lens would definitely not be sufficient.

I'm not too sure how the performers will be going about, but I'm guessing there would be lots of movement.

& it's a ongoing concert, so I pretty much have to capture things then & there.

Thank you once again!

Google 'How to take group photos' and some ideas of how to arrange/handle logistics might come in handy.

See if you can make arrangements depending on schedules - performers at floor level, and you go up on stage to shoot. Else everyone will be blocking everone's else if you shoot at eye level.

Another possibility is shooting them somewhere just outside the hall, if there are steps, a lower ground level and you shoot from the second floor etc etc etc. Besides the small matter of technicalities, successful group photos is a matter of logistics management and pre-planning.

At worst, arrange them as best as you can and stand up on a chair or the tallest STABLE thing you can find.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say your kit lens will not be sufficient. Don't try to shoot the group at the back of the hall when you're in front lah.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 25th May 2010 at 06:08 PM.

Actually, a sports hall may appear well lit to our eyes, but it's still pretty dark. I will certainly advise getting a flash. Renting lenses for that extra reach or stop of light is entirely up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Google 'How to take group photos' and some ideas of how to arrange/handle logistics might come in handy.

See if you can make arrangements depending on schedules - performers at floor level, and you go up on stage to shoot. Else everyone will be blocking everone's else if you shoot at eye level.

Another possibility is shooting them somewhere just outside the hall, if there are steps, a lower ground level and you shoot from the second floor etc etc etc. Besides the small matter of technicalities, successful group photos is a matter of logistics management and pre-planning.

At worst, arrange them as best as you can and stand up on a chair or the tallest STABLE thing you can find.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say your kit lens will not be sufficient. Don't try to shoot the group at the back of the hall when you're in front lah.
    haha! Okay, thank you so much!
    Will go research on that before I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    Actually, a sports hall may appear well lit to our eyes, but it's still pretty dark. I will certainly advise getting a flash. Renting lenses for that extra reach or stop of light is entirely up to you.
    All right. Thank you, Shadow! I think I would go with the flash & forgo renting the lenses. Wouldn't be much of a use anyway. haha

you want practical advise?

rent a 70-200 f2.8 at least. why?

audience will not appreciate your moving left and right in front of the stage. performers and audience defintely do not appreciate amateur flash work.

be sure to tell the stage people to light up the place when it comes to the ending group shot because if you are shooting using kit lens, GOOD LUCK.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.