Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: nikon 85mm F1.8 or tamron 28-75 F2.8

  1. #1

    Default nikon 85mm F1.8 or tamron 28-75 F2.8

    as the thread title suggest, I would like to ask for portraiture works, which one is better? The Nikon 85mm F1.8 or the Tamron 28-75 F2.8?? Advise as well as feedback of the lens (if you own any or both lens) is appreciated

  2. #2

    Default Re: nikon 85mm F1.8 or tamron 28-75 F2.8

    please if possible rate the lens in terms of price vs performance

  3. #3

    Default Re: nikon 85mm F1.8 or tamron 28-75 F2.8

    It really depends on your style and the type of shoot ur taking.
    Answer lies in u.
    However, people can advise u and u make the final decision.

    For me, i would go for the 85mm anyway time since u mention portrait.
    The Bokeh for 85mm would be much more creamy.
    The Tamron 28-75mm can be also used as a portrait lens even a 70-200mm.
    The 28-75mm may also be used other than portrait shoots.
    Do u need a zoom range?
    If, u r a DX user losing that slightly wide angle is it ok for u?
    Do you have a budget?

    Actually there are lots of reviews if u do a search...

    Just my views on it...
    Good luck.
    Last edited by brownie01; 25th May 2010 at 03:14 PM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: nikon 85mm F1.8 or tamron 28-75 F2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by legacyex View Post
    please if possible rate the lens in terms of price vs performance
    actually how to rate this?
    it involves the user how to rate its performance?
    Different people has different performance which is the piece of art work/ photo produced isn't it? or am i reading it in a wrong way? What is a good picture?

  5. #5

    Default Re: nikon 85mm F1.8 or tamron 28-75 F2.8

    links from the first page of goolgle if you wern't so lazy to google it yourself.


    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=721239

    http://www.flickr.com/groups/tamron2...7612016141137/

  6. #6

    Default Re: nikon 85mm F1.8 or tamron 28-75 F2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by brownie01 View Post
    It really depends on your style and the type of shoot ur taking.
    Answer lies in u.
    However, people can advise u and u make the final decision.

    For me, i would go for the 85mm anyway time since u mention portrait.
    The Bokeh for 85mm would be much more creamy.
    The Tamron 28-75mm can be also used as a portrait lens even a 70-200mm.
    The 28-75mm may also be used other than portrait shoots.
    Do u need a zoom range?
    If, u r a DX user losing that slightly wide angle is it ok for u?
    Do you have a budget?

    Just my views on it...
    Good luck.
    for me, I would shoot high key creamy bokeh for portraits. but the problem is the frequent changing of lens to and from 35mm prime.

  7. #7

    Default Re: nikon 85mm F1.8 or tamron 28-75 F2.8

    1. Slightly more shallow DOF - 85mm
    2. Limited space (Eg. Indoors) - Tamron
    3. Versatility and other uses - Tamron
    4. Better subject isolation for waist to head shots - 85mm
    5. Close focus for some detail shots - Tamron
    6. Slightly faster lens in dim lighting - 85mm

    Here is one done with a Tamron 28-75 @f2.8




    On the other spectrum. This one done by a 85/2 @f2


    The blurred bkgnd is not an absolute. Factors like bkgnd distance and focus distance play a big part as well.
    I've never found one lens or the other lacking in this area.

  8. #8

    Default Re: nikon 85mm F1.8 or tamron 28-75 F2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by brownie01 View Post
    actually how to rate this?
    it involves the user how to rate its performance?
    Different people has different performance which is the piece of art work/ photo produced isn't it? or am i reading it in a wrong way? What is a good picture?
    sorry maybe i should ask in terms of value for money

    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFy View Post
    links from the first page of goolgle if you wern't so lazy to google it yourself.


    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=721239

    http://www.flickr.com/groups/tamron2...7612016141137/
    thanks much

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    1. Slightly more shallow DOF - 85mm
    2. Limited space (Eg. Indoors) - Tamron
    3. Versatility and other uses - Tamron
    4. Better subject isolation for waist to head shots - 85mm
    5. Close focus for some detail shots - Tamron
    6. Slightly faster lens in dim lighting - 85mm

    Here is one done with a Tamron 28-75 @f2.8


    On the other spectrum. This one done by a 85/2 @f2


    The blurred bkgnd is not an absolute. Factors like bkgnd distance and focus distance play a big part as well.
    I've never found one lens or the other lacking in this area.
    thanks

  9. #9
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: nikon 85mm F1.8 or tamron 28-75 F2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by legacyex View Post
    please if possible rate the lens in terms of price vs performance
    Come on pal.. there's resoruces plenty on the WWW
    Embrace its beauty pls.. Use the Search Engines available

    That said. Longer focal length and wider aperture are much preferred for portraiture work..
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    718

    Default Re: nikon 85mm F1.8 or tamron 28-75 F2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by legacyex View Post
    sorry maybe i should ask in terms of value for money


    thanks much


    thanks
    In all honesty, I think both lenses are great value for money. Doesn't matter if you're taking high key or low key portraits, both will be able to do so.

    As a walkaround lens with the additional capability to shoot portraits with nice 'bokeh' (subjective), the 28-75 in my opinion is one of the best lenses in it's price range.

    On the other hand, if you're looking for a good alternative for the 85 1.4 and you're on a budget, then the 85 1.8 is great value for money. Though limiting in functionality, it still makes for a great portrait lens or short tele lens in low light settings.

    From what I gather, the 28-75 would be more suited to you since you find changing lenses a hassle.

  11. #11

    Default Re: nikon 85mm F1.8 or tamron 28-75 F2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    Come on pal.. there's resoruces plenty on the WWW
    Embrace its beauty pls.. Use the Search Engines available

    That said. Longer focal length and wider aperture are much preferred for portraiture work..
    isn't clubsnap a form of search/ resource too and its WWW as well?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    In all honesty, I think both lenses are great value for money. Doesn't matter if you're taking high key or low key portraits, both will be able to do so.

    As a walkaround lens with the additional capability to shoot portraits with nice 'bokeh' (subjective), the 28-75 in my opinion is one of the best lenses in it's price range.

    On the other hand, if you're looking for a good alternative for the 85 1.4 and you're on a budget, then the 85 1.8 is great value for money. Though limiting in functionality, it still makes for a great portrait lens or short tele lens in low light settings.

    From what I gather, the 28-75 would be more suited to you since you find changing lenses a hassle.
    I see.. thanks for sharing.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,911

    Default Re: nikon 85mm F1.8 or tamron 28-75 F2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by legacyex View Post
    isn't clubsnap a form of search/ resource too and its WWW as well?
    It is, but the question is, have your searched? Or is it just ask?

    Don't have an issue with you asking, just responding to that comment specifically about it being a search/resource, because very often people ask questions without running a search first.

    With regards to your question, they are totally different lenses, which basically means the decision should come down to you as the photographer.

  13. #13

    Default Re: nikon 85mm F1.8 or tamron 28-75 F2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    It is, but the question is, have your searched? Or is it just ask?

    Don't have an issue with you asking, just responding to that comment specifically about it being a search/resource, because very often people ask questions without running a search first.

    With regards to your question, they are totally different lenses, which basically means the decision should come down to you as the photographer.
    I have searched and asked my friends. Both response was either one is good. Which i thought that maybe I should gather more views. Research will still be done until I have really made up my mind as to which lens to purchase.

  14. #14

    Default Re: nikon 85mm F1.8 or tamron 28-75 F2.8

    Both lenses are great for portraits ... just like the 50 prime and premium high speed 80200 zoom you asked about in another thread. The 85 may have a slight edge for portrait specific photography based on IQ, focus speed and bokeh at the cost of convenience and versatility as pointed out by others.

    'Value for money' can only be defined by the criteria and parameters you set based on your needs and shooting preferences/style.

    What I would suggest to anyone with your dilemma is borrowing or renting the lenses you're most interested in and finding out, first hand, which suits your needs better/which you prefer. Different photographers will have different requirements/preferences.

  15. #15

    Default Re: nikon 85mm F1.8 or tamron 28-75 F2.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Both lenses are great for portraits ... just like the 50 prime and premium high speed 80200 zoom you asked about in another thread. The 85 may have a slight edge for portrait specific photography based on IQ, focus speed and bokeh at the cost of convenience and versatility as pointed out by others.

    'Value for money' can only be defined by the criteria and parameters you set based on your needs and shooting preferences/style.

    What I would suggest to anyone with your dilemma is borrowing or renting the lenses you're most interested in and finding out, first hand, which suits your needs better/which you prefer. Different photographers will have different requirements/preferences.
    Thanks. I will head down to the shop this week.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •