Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jeff's (almost) daily posts

Default Re: Jeff's (almost) daily posts

jeff maybe you should start a studio lesson here in your free time? if i can afford the fee i'll be one of the first to sign up!
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

ya, i attended a lesson on studio lighting.... still quite a few question marks on the positioning of the lights... and i have a budget... have to seek more of his advice after i sort out my thoughts on exactly what to ask LOL!

hahah thanks Alan, as confident as i am around studio lighthing and retouching, i also have lots more to learn from people senior than me!
    i just find fulfillment in sharing with people what i know.

haha if you guys want a full day intensive workshop on studio lighting i would love to arrange something up!

when i think back to my assisting days, i had a hard time understanding basic concepts of studio lighting, plus at that time i suddenly was the only assistant around(the other got fired)
    i had to learn alot very quickly.

and i was thinking , it would be great if this was simpler , would'nt it?
    this lead me to have to make simple the intricate lightings and develop it into like cheat codes of sorts, it would be fun to share it with you guys!

let see how many people would be keen to participate in this workshop.
    Jeff chen
    www.jeffchen.asia

secret kungfu method of da pro's!

shooting in camera vs photoshop everything!

today i had an intern assisting me on a magazine jewelry shoot.
    she asked me an intelligent question regarding lighting
    "eh jeff arh, your set got watch got ring got necklace, how are you gonna light it wont the light spill over everything?."

i asked her to look at the people behind, and told her that those people are from the jeweler and they have very short time to wait around for the pieces to finish that shot.

so what i am going to do, is to light each piece seperately, while setting the camera on tripod and not moving it. and then composite it into one shot.

my intern was like.. HUUUUH then its all DI LOR like cheating!.

now this topic have ignited much spirited debate among my counter parts and colleagues alike.

Now i am a strong advocate to really learn and understand the concept of lighting.
    and if time wasnt an issue, aim to get every single highlight and shadow in ONE SHOT, thats a testament of skill!

but when u have impatient clients waiting around, you gotta hustle!
    and knowing when to shoot for retouching can really help !

when i was studying photography in school i too had this thought about retouching photographs. do it or not? would it not be representing the truth?

but i was thinking of my work from a photojourn point of view, which i am not.

i came to understand that i am foremost an image maker, which the medium happens to be photography.

Photoshop has become an extension of photography ,a medium to help express your vision or enhance it, like it or not, its this generations dark room.

after the shoot, i showed her how easy it was to composite it together, and also taught her how to give models impossibly flawless and natural looking skin in under 1 hour for those daunting beauty shots, its great to see my intern suddenly got enlightened when i explained to her how and when to shoot for retouching, and to teach her what retouching or D.I can and cannot do.

Jeff Chen
    Jeff chen
    www.jeffchen.asia

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchen View Post
    hahah thanks Alan, as confident as i am around studio lighthing and retouching, i also have lots more to learn from people senior than me!

haha if you guys want a full day intensive workshop on studio lighting i would love to arrange something up!

when i think back to my assisting days, i had a hard time understanding basic concepts of studio lighting, plus at that time i suddenly was the only assistant around(the other got fired)

this lead me to have to make simple the intricate lightings and develop it into like cheat codes of sorts, it would be fun to share it with you guys!

Jeff,just wanna let you know.If its free,you can post in Gatherings & Outings forum.If you wanna collect $$$,you have to sign up as workshop organizer(Like those in Workshops,Tutorials and classes)

you did mag photo shoot man, thats pro enough for any of us hobbyist. learning never ends, you learn from higher pro, we learn from you!

anyway like cleonbus mentioned. you can setup a workshop as i dont think its fair to ask you to do it for free. we still need to rent a studio, so maybe we pool for the studio, and some compensation for your time and effort. i dun know, maybe 6 of us 40 per person for say 3hrs? we can use each other as "model" to practice. lighting is the key learning point, so pose and model quality not important hahaha
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

Quote Originally Posted by ikilledversace View Post
    the jeff with a lot of ang kong?
    eh yes hahah i am the jeff with alot of ang kong
    Jeff chen
    www.jeffchen.asia

hi dude,

haha i surely support u. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! comfirm attend if the time is right. even if not right.. i'll also try to make it. sometimes i find lighting a bit confusing tsk tsk.

hello guys,

sorry for the absence , currently i have been busy shooting some mags,
    i have been wanting to snap some behind the scene pictures for you guys to reference
    the lighting schematics , but i kept forgetting.

also i have yet gotten the time to plan a rewarding and informative workshop for u guys.

so stay tuned!
    Jeff chen
    www.jeffchen.asia

ok i just rush out a postinf for YALL!!
    ok, i feel i owe u guys something informative and awesome to spike your picture creation!

so alot of times flash photography can look very clinical very... FLASH!

one hot topic many people including myself have been trying to figure out is,
    how to use flash to make it look ambient?

if u can do that, u have best of both worlds, u have the speed of flash and sharpness
    and the atmosphere and feel of the ambient lighting

please take a look at this picture, i've shot for a jewelry magazine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffche...7594438783112/

they are all lit with lamp heads with standard reflectors (withouth anyform of diffusion)

QUICK TIP, if its possible , have a light for the back ground and let the light pass thru some object to create shadows, (in this instance ) the stair well rails.

as flash passes thru objects it creates "density" in shadow and highlights making it more "real " in feel.

USE big aperture for the shallow DOF ... so it helps if u had low powered lights.

and lastly ... if u can gel the lights warm or cool it will make the light more ambient in feel

but of course you can use selective color and tone the lighting .
    Jeff chen
    www.jeffchen.asia

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffche...47832/sizes/l/

ok above is the lighting schematic for your study and reference

i wanan breeze thru it quickly

light A is a light with standard reflector with a medium honeycomb because i want light on the face and body and a slight fall off on the floor.

light B is without honey comb cuz i want light to shoot thru the stair well and have a bit of a edge lighting on the model.

light c is with a medium honey comb , this light is for the models right side of face highlight.

the blue tinge is thru photoshop selective color neutral>yellow channel> experiment.

thats about it!
    Jeff chen
    www.jeffchen.asia

Jeff, thank you for making effort to post this for us at this time

Jeff, you are very magnanimous (used this word 2nd time today as someone told me Ive used it wrongly . Nyway, I think most of us appreciate what you've done so far and thank you for that.

Since you mentioned about photoshop the other time, I have this prob. evrytime I edit my photos, it'll end up very contrasty and too saturated. I mean, is there a 'formula' or something or how wld you do it to give the best exposure and feel to a picture without making it look fake. I guess its more to experience than textbook 'formula'. I'm looking forward for your workshop if you're organising one.

Nyway, love your photos and Ive added you on flickr too. Hope I don't sound like a too much of a 'bootlicker' but I do appreciate your work. Thks again!

ok, i feel i owe u guys something informative and awesome to spike your picture creation!
    come on man, you DONT owe us anything, its the OTHER way around!

like i mentioned, if its affordable, i'll be one of the first to attend your workshop!
    Last edited by Alan Chan; 18th June 2010 at 03:34 PM.

Blog Entries

to you Jeff. For your sharing attitude.

Thanks for the tips and setup schematics. Very helpful to all of us.

3 weeks late but big welcome to u. nice meeting u at jingna's opening that day.

from the guy with jing.

[QUOTE=Alan Chan;6216944]
    ok, i feel i owe u guys something informative and awesome to spike your picture creation!/QUOTE]

come on man, you DONT owe us anything, its the OTHER way around!

like i mentioned, if its affordable, i'll be one of the first to attend your workshop!
    I will be the 2nd person
    Canon|Tamron|Gitzo|Manfrotto|Benro|B+W|Hoya|LCW|LEE|HiT ech|Cokin|TianYa

Good to have u around....I've learnt quite a lot from the pic!!!

Great thread Jeff and thanks for posting these informative tips!

great sharing : )

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast