Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEL X-Processed

Cheesecake.. One comment though..

Do take note of the colors you use.. As in, to enhance your intended message. It will be a powerful tool.

Hihi there,
    nice series you have here. Will like to make some suggestion though. Maybe you can try overexposing the slides a bit more. Somewhere between 1/3 to 1 stop might be nice. I find the shots a bit too dark and a lot of shots become too abstract due to detail lost. X-process results in very high contrast prints, so you might also want to consider slides that are not so high-contrast in the first place, for example Astia or Agfa RSXII. And also you may want to watch the long exposure on the slides. Slides start to give strange and inconsistent results at long exposure so you may want to consider some professional slides that are more tolerant of long exposure.

And now about my views on the series, I sort of agree with Minoxman here. Some of the pictures don't speak for itself. By this I mean with relation to the title of the series that Cheesecake has chosen. The series is named NEL X-process, so I would sort of expect the pictures to be taken along the NEL. But some of the pictures are so abstract that, if left alone outside the series, there is nothing in them to identify them with the NEL. If artistic abstractions are really what you are aiming for Cheesecake, the series would have been better named "Abstractions from the NEL".

Art is a wonderful thing, you put your ideas out so that people can give their own interpretation of your ideas. But it's pretty much meaningless when your audience even have to interpret your theme too.

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic
    By this I mean with relation to the title of the series that Cheesecake has chosen. The series is named NEL X-process, so I would sort of expect the pictures to be taken along the NEL. But some of the pictures are so abstract that, if left alone outside the series, there is nothing in them to identify them with the NEL. If artistic abstractions are really what you are aiming for Cheesecake, the series would have been better named "Abstractions from the NEL".

Art is a wonderful thing, you put your ideas out so that people can give their own interpretation of your ideas. But it's pretty much meaningless when your audience even have to interpret your theme too.
    Actually, u raised a very good point there.. Somethin tht brought a new awareness..

Pardon me for my suakuness.. But I wasn't aware of what NEL meant until u mentioned it.. Yes.. Laff at me.. But I haven't been takin the train very much.. (vampires fly remember?)

What's so interesting is, I looked at the pic first, without takin note of the title.. And perhaps that's why I was able to appreciate the visuals without having a preconception of what to expect.. In fact, it's my usual habit to do that.. As in, look at it first, and then read the title to further comprehend the intended message.. In tis way, I tend to interpret the work on a personal level..

But this may not work for everyone and this is why I say it's a new awareness.. To bear tis fact in mind on how important titles are on settin the viewer up on wat to expect so that I will aptly title my works from now on..

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    seems very dark on my screen. try to edit the midtones if you can?
    hi SS,

i don't like to edit my photographs that are taken on negatives or slides.
    personal preference.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by VampTreSS
    Cheesecake.. One comment though..

Do take note of the colors you use.. As in, to enhance your intended message. It will be a powerful tool.
    ah, this is something quite advance for me. i've to note down the differences and characteristics of the many different brands and types of slides that are currently available in order to be better at controlling the colours.

haha, it'll be costly!

but i think i will continue to experiment with the different slides as long as i can afford to.

yes, colour is a powerful tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic
    Hihi there,
    nice series you have here. Will like to make some suggestion though. Maybe you can try overexposing the slides a bit more. Somewhere between 1/3 to 1 stop might be nice. I find the shots a bit too dark and a lot of shots become too abstract due to detail lost. X-process results in very high contrast prints, so you might also want to consider slides that are not so high-contrast in the first place, for example Astia or Agfa RSXII. And also you may want to watch the long exposure on the slides. Slides start to give strange and inconsistent results at long exposure so you may want to consider some professional slides that are more tolerant of long exposure.

And now about my views on the series, I sort of agree with Minoxman here. Some of the pictures don't speak for itself. By this I mean with relation to the title of the series that Cheesecake has chosen. The series is named NEL X-process, so I would sort of expect the pictures to be taken along the NEL. But some of the pictures are so abstract that, if left alone outside the series, there is nothing in them to identify them with the NEL. If artistic abstractions are really what you are aiming for Cheesecake, the series would have been better named "Abstractions from the NEL".

hi prismatic,

all my photos are over exposed by half a stop. and as for the suggestion to try different slides, yes, i will do so.

as for the title, i can't change it. this project was undertaken some last year and it has been named as such.

but what i can do is, i will post more photographs and seek more opinions and then, sort out those that i want to leave out in the end so as to come out with a brand new series.

well, to students and practising artists, if the audience has to interpret my theme and my intentions, we simply call it, 'interaction with the audiences'. haha

thanks prismatic, for ur very insightful comments!
    i appreciate them very much and will refer to them when i start on this project again.

i love to experiment with different mediums whenever financially possible.

Quote Originally Posted by VampTreSS
    Minoxman.. Nothin personal against u but I thot I'd express my views on wat u've said..

I disagree that the pictures didn't speak for themselves.. It is the precise use of whacky colors that spoke the loudest to me.. If colors are expressions of energy, then I interpret these pictures as moving energy and they jumped out at me in a dance.. Just for me..

Without seeking to hear the photographer's original intention, I have made meaning of his art to speak to me. Even if it was a mere whisper, in that moment that I laid eyes on it, it moved me. So simply put, it worked for me.

Yet to be fair, in the way that some people prefer their visual objects to be clearly defined, some of us would prefer ours to be a blurry of shapes and colors. Perhaps then, it had worked better for me because I was allowed to imprint my very own definitions on another person's vision.

Do feel free to disagree. All these will be good feedback for the artist.
    Yep I disagree. But not in anyway negating the effort of cheescake.

unusual intepretation of a typically-insipid mrt experience. fantastic whacked-out colours and mood! well done with the cross processing experimentation.
    1, 2, 4, 8, 16 works for me best. they stood out with their strong colours and graphic composition.
    i agree with some that it seems there's too much detail-less 'black' in most of the pics. cross-process of slides inherently bring up the contrast. had a similar experience with my previous attempt at x-processing slides. think it would actually be better to underexpose during the initial photography stage to bring out the detail, not over.

hope to see more exciting pics from this x-processed mrt series!

Quote Originally Posted by Minoxman
    Yep I disagree. But not in anyway negating the effort of cheescake.
    thanks minoxman...

u've raised some very important issues. appreciate ur views.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox
    unusual intepretation of a typically-insipid mrt experience. fantastic whacked-out colours and mood! well done with the cross processing experimentation.
    1, 2, 4, 8, 16 works for me best. they stood out with their strong colours and graphic composition.
    i agree with some that it seems there's too much detail-less 'black' in most of the pics. cross-process of slides inherently bring up the contrast. had a similar experience with my previous attempt at x-processing slides. think it would actually be better to underexpose during the initial photography stage to bring out the detail, not over.

hope to see more exciting pics from this x-processed mrt series!
    yes stereobox,

the next time i take the photos, i'll underexpose by half a stop and some exact exposure.

i appreciate ur comments and views.

many thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12