Thread: e-3 more water proof then 1 series?

Default e-3 more water proof then 1 series?

indie

Default Re: e-3 more water proof then 1 series?

Got the link frm an drew btw. together with the rest.

Last edited by leowyien; 25th May 2010 at 11:01 AM.
    indie

The third image brings the point across very clearly....

Quote Originally Posted by leowyien View Post
    That's a 50D, not a 1 series...

swivel LCD does have it's uses though. But you could always get an accessory to help focus.

No i'm not comparing it with the 50D. I mean whether the 1d can face the same situations as the e-3
    indie

No i'm not comparing it with the 50D. I mean whether the 1d can face the same situations as the e-3
    http://www.youtube.com/v/Bma0EZRO1QY
    Last edited by 2evans; 25th May 2010 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2evans View Post
    OmG!!! Is tht real??
    indie

OmG!!! Is tht real??
    My E-3 with 12-60mm came back wet and sandy after a shoot at Tioman beach. I dunked it brieftly in a pail of water and then rinsed it when I was taking a shower. That was in May 2008. On August that year I shoot E-3 with 50-200mm under torrential rain in Ubin. Towel dried it. All still working fine till today.

I can't comment which is more water-proof than which though...

By the way, both camera are not water-proof. You can't find one such dSLR in the market anyway. They are weather-sealed and as such water and dust resistant.
    Last edited by diCam; 25th May 2010 at 06:35 PM.

Sometimes it funny how someone does a marketing for a certain product. Tend to show wat is good of a particular product and consumers who are not pretty aware of the overall product falls for it easily.

Frankly speaking how often does people shoot in torrential rainstorm or how effective is an in camera cleaning system. Only people who really uses it and need all this will find it useful. Others like me prefer good system which we can depend on and ease of use. Maybe i'm just a simple person hor.

Quote Originally Posted by AdyH View Post
    Sometimes it funny how someone does a marketing for a certain product. Tend to show wat is good of a particular product and consumers who are not pretty aware of the overall product falls for it easily.

Frankly speaking how often does people shoot in torrential rainstorm or how effective is an in camera cleaning system. Only people who really uses it and need all this will find it useful. Others like me prefer good system which we can depend on and ease of use. Maybe i'm just a simple person hor.
    I was out in the middle of three hurricanes shooting with an Olympus E-1. It was fairly useful, and in 6 years, I've never had to worry about dust on the sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    I was out in the middle of three hurricanes shooting with an Olympus E-1. It was fairly useful, and in 6 years, I've never had to worry about dust on the sensor.
    Hurricane?
    indie

also, worth noting is that someone was asking about a raincover........

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308906

which sort of............... proves picture 1.

Hurricane?
    Yes, it's a weather disturbance with high winds and lots of rain. I "enjoyed" three of them in 2004 with wind speeds around 125 km/h through my area.

If water gets into your E3, is it covered by warranty? What about the 1D?

Actually, I've seen an Oly E-3 with 12-60 dunked in to an aquarium at a camera tradeshow by an Oly rep.

Getting back to the ads the above ads are of course fake, but here is an actual ad I photographed of a bilboard in Toronto, Canada:

Talk about truth in advertising!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
    Actually, I've seen an Oly E-3 with 12-60 dunked in to an aquarium at a camera tradeshow by an Oly rep.

Getting back to the ads the above ads are of course fake, but here is an actual ad I photographed of a bilboard in Toronto, Canada:

Talk about truth in advertising!
    That would have been something good for 2003, but not today.

I have been a user of Olympus for many years, and well, the ruggedness of the camera system and image quality is something that brought me there in the first place. But I will not put off the Canon 1 series as it is a very competent camera. The only reason I never went there is weight. But that is only me. I still believe in all the flag ship range from all the other camera makers. Olympus has its E-1 and E-3, Canon with the 1D series, and my old beloved Nikon with the D-x series. But the 35mm format full frame cameras were too heavy for my purpose.

One thing that really attracted me to Olympus was how they decided to build all lenses from their High Grade to Super High Grade lenses to be weatherproofed. I have dropped my lens into the river, and consider all the electronics within, it still worked after I picked it up and shook out the water... Of course, it had to be totally dried in the dry cab afterwards. I was fortunate though. Someone in the forums had watermarks left on the elements after water exposure but I believe that was an isolated case with bad seals and manufacturing defect. I never had to worry about dust on my sensor, though I have to blast the E-3's mirror/prism design. It seems to be a dust magnet as compared to the E-1... totally a pain in the ass. I had mine cleaned three times which never happened in the E-1. Hope the E-3 replacement fixes this issue.

Every camera system have their pros and cons. So there is really no reason to compare. Anyone who is loves ultra fast AF should look at Canon and anyone building a fancy camera rig for wireless work, animal tracking, etc, can also look at Nikon for solutions. Olympus will never present such many solutions as a complete camera system. Though it is one rugged camera.

Shall not go into the Pen series. One have to use it to appreciate it. Especially the electronic viewfinder. Go on a holiday with one, and you will understand why it is my number one choice for travels. And the images it yield is still pretty impressive. The downside is of course, using the Standard Grade lenses. Nothing beats having good glass on your camera. There is no way to cheat physics. Good glass, good images. One part of getting the better image. Of course there are many other factors, but good glass is one of them.

Anyway, take these ads as fun sharing and not too seriously. I am sure the 1D series and D-x series cameras are pretty tough too as they command such a premium.

Balanced view and I agree whole-heartedly with regard to the E-3's mirror/prism design. It's a dust magnet!

Quote Originally Posted by microcosm View Post
    I have been a user of Olympus for many years, and well, the ruggedness of the camera system and image quality is something that brought me there in the first place. But I will not put off the Canon 1 series as it is a very competent camera. The only reason I never went there is weight. But that is only me. I still believe in all the flag ship range from all the other camera makers. Olympus has its E-1 and E-3, Canon with the 1D series, and my old beloved Nikon with the D-x series. But the 35mm format full frame cameras were too heavy for my purpose.

One thing that really attracted me to Olympus was how they decided to build all lenses from their High Grade to Super High Grade lenses to be weatherproofed. I have dropped my lens into the river, and consider all the electronics within, it still worked after I picked it up and shook out the water... Of course, it had to be totally dried in the dry cab afterwards. I was fortunate though. Someone in the forums had watermarks left on the elements after water exposure but I believe that was an isolated case with bad seals and manufacturing defect. I never had to worry about dust on my sensor, though I have to blast the E-3's mirror/prism design. It seems to be a dust magnet as compared to the E-1... totally a pain in the ass. I had mine cleaned three times which never happened in the E-1. Hope the E-3 replacement fixes this issue.

Every camera system have their pros and cons. So there is really no reason to compare. Anyone who is loves ultra fast AF should look at Canon and anyone building a fancy camera rig for wireless work, animal tracking, etc, can also look at Nikon for solutions. Olympus will never present such many solutions as a complete camera system. Though it is one rugged camera.

Shall not go into the Pen series. One have to use it to appreciate it. Especially the electronic viewfinder. Go on a holiday with one, and you will understand why it is my number one choice for travels. And the images it yield is still pretty impressive. The downside is of course, using the Standard Grade lenses. Nothing beats having good glass on your camera. There is no way to cheat physics. Good glass, good images. One part of getting the better image. Of course there are many other factors, but good glass is one of them.

Anyway, take these ads as fun sharing and not too seriously. I am sure the 1D series and D-x series cameras are pretty tough too as they command such a premium.

OmG!!! Is tht real??
    Typical for 1 series cams and sealed lenses.

You can also find similar videos on youtube of E3s being rinsed.

Yalor, u can even find about Pentax K-7 in the Shower. Again, this is all ego. Brand War. Bo pian them, just be happy with what u have.
    My Flickr iownthislensthatlensthislensthatlens