Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep your camera

Default How do you keep your camera

Hi everyone! Just got a D90 last week. As this is my 1st dslr, I'm abit unsure how to keep my camera. Do you usually remove the lens from the body after using the camera or do u just leave it attached? So far i remove the lens and cap everything up before i go to bed.

Also i notice that there is speck of dust on the mirror and i'm not sure how to remove it. wanted to use the blower but was afraid that i might just blow the dust to somewhere worse like the sensor. Not sure if that dust is there cos i remove the lens ever night thus increasing the exposure of the interior of the body

I've yet to get a dry box or a dry cabinet. Was thinking of getting one end of the week or end of next week. I know it is like a neccessity but am i taking a huge risk by not getting it immediately? Should i go get it tomorrow??
    Last edited by eternalSun; 25th May 2010 at 10:06 AM.

Default Re: How do you keep your camera

leave it attached.

dust on mirror, you want to blow just blow. frankly speaking, if doesn't affect your pictures, dust is everywhere. only when it lands on your sensor then it gets quite irritating.

a week or two shouldn't hurt, especially if you happen to have air conditioning in your room. but of course, best if you get it asap.

Quote Originally Posted by eternalSun View Post
    Hi everyone! Just got a D90 last week. As this is my 1st dslr, I'm abit unsure how to keep my camera. Do you usually remove the lens from the body after using the camera or do u just leave it attached? So far i remove the lens and cap everything up before i go to bed.

Also i notice that there is speck of dust on the mirror and i'm not sure how to remove it. wanted to use the blower but was afraid that i might just blow the dust to somewhere worse like the sensor. Not sure if that dust is there cos i remove the lens ever night thus increasing the exposure of the interior of the body

I've yet to get a dry box or a dry cabinet. Was thinking of getting one end of the week or end of next week. I know it is like a neccessity but am i taking a huge risk by not getting it immediately? Should i go get it tomorrow??
    firstly, welcome to clubsnap.

secondly, stop treating your camera like some precious 18th century painting!!

When I go out shooting, I usually sweat... a lot. The camera strap will be sweaty. I would remove it and wipe or wash, then dry. I would also wipe down the camera with a damp cloth and air dry. Once all dry, I place back in the dry cabinet, intact (lens mounted onto camera). More convenient for me.

For dust on mirror, you can remove the lens, tilt the camera downward, and use a blower to dislodge the dust speck. If cannot, use 3M scotch-brite and scrub (kidding )....
    Exploring! :)

Thanks night86mare! Will go get the dry cabinet asap.

The day I use 3M scotch-brite and scrub I'll make sure i use Ma Ma lemon as well

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    firstly, welcome to clubsnap.

secondly, stop treating your camera like some precious 18th century painting!!

When I go out shooting, I usually sweat... a lot. The camera strap will be sweaty. I would remove it and wipe or wash, then dry. I would also wipe down the camera with a damp cloth and air dry. Once all dry, I place back in the dry cabinet, intact (lens mounted onto camera). More convenient for me.

For dust on mirror, you can remove the lens, tilt the camera downward, and use a blower to dislodge the dust speck. If cannot, use 3M scotch-brite and scrub (kidding )....
    Damn you're good! I was going to recommend 3M sanding pad!

Welcome to ClubySnappy, eternalSun! (boy, I do get all sweaty hearing that name )
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 25th May 2010 at 10:38 AM.

Welcome to CS
    Dust is ineveitable, its almost everywhere ard us and sooner or later it will find its way into ur lens, sensor etc.. So no big deal and there's no need to get paranoid.. lolz..

Exercise propoer maintenance like what ZCA and NayMei has mentioned.
    Get the dry cabinet asap for a peice of mind. And get some gd quality fibre cleaning cloth in 3M for ease of cleaning.. HTH..
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Welcome to Clubsnap, another D90 user here.
    getting a dry cabinet soon already. hope you get yours asap.
    Nikon D90 | N18-105mm | T90mm | SB-600
    My Flickr

leave your lens attached and lens cap on when your camera is not in used.

dust speck on mirror does not appear on image, can just leave it or you can try to use a blower to blow it away, but never never try to use anything to wipe your mirror, this mirror is front coating, the silver is coated at the front, so there is no protection on silver coating, you might scratch your mirror, and the damage is permanent.

try get a dry cabinet ASAP, consider the cost and convenient over the life span of the cabinet, it is a best investment and protection you can get for your cameras and lenses.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

A dry cab is a must in our humid weather. Get one quick before the mould sets in. & don't store the sweaty strap with your camera in the dry cab
    Take the shot!

Using a dry cabinet is a recommended way to store your optical equipments.

Giottos rocket blower blow away dust (got mine from CP-M)
    3M micro fiber cloth to clean my filter (works to clean away stains from rain and fingerprints, you can imagine how Hoya HMC is not easy to clean)

when i'm out shooting i'll just mouth blow away dust.

Hi all members of Clubsnap, Happy to be part of the community.
    I'm new and finally just gotten Canon 550D Kit II. I'm into exploring the camera now. Talking about after use storage, how about removing the battery and memory card as well when kept in Dry Cabinet??. Necessary?.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivshootphoto View Post
    Hi all members of Clubsnap, Happy to be part of the community.
    I'm new and finally just gotten Canon 550D Kit II. I'm into exploring the camera now. Talking about after use storage, how about removing the battery and memory card as well when kept in Dry Cabinet??. Necessary?.

Thanks.
    for battery, i suggest taking it out when kept in dry cabinet.

but it makes very marginal difference especially when you use your camera everyday.

so to me its not necessary, and it's your choice depending how you use your camera.

i remove the battery as well looks like i'm doing alot of extra stuff. Everytime i see the top led screen showing the number of shoots left i feel like i'm draining my battery

Quote Originally Posted by eternalSun View Post
    i remove the battery as well looks like i'm doing alot of extra stuff. Everytime i see the top led screen showing the number of shoots left i feel like i'm draining my battery
    Get a second battery as backup and stop worrying about these small irrelevant things. The battery will probably power the display for 2 years .. reviewing images on display it what drains the battery. Removing battery for long term storage (>2 months?) is recommended. Everything else just leave it inside. No point stripping your cam like yourself when going to bed
    EOS

Welcome !

I would suggest you to get a Dry Cabinet instead of Dry Box. The Dry Cabinet is more easier and hassle-free compared to a Dry Box where you need to "Bake" the Silica Gel each time it changes color.

For me, once I'm back home, I'd just dump all my camera equipment into the dry cabinet neatly.. even my charger..
    Think fast, aim for the best !

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey-Boy View Post
    Welcome !

I would suggest you to get a Dry Cabinet instead of Dry Box. The Dry Cabinet is more easier and hassle-free compared to a Dry Box where you need to "Bake" the Silica Gel each time it changes color.

For me, once I'm back home, I'd just dump all my camera equipment into the dry cabinet neatly.. even my charger..
    What most people here will do is to get a microfibre cloth and clean your camera body and lens and then leave it on the bed or a table for about an hour or so.This is to 'make sure dirt gets off your gear' before leaving it in your dry cab

dont be paranoid, i guess everyone experience that when they first bought their cam lolx, after few weeks, u'll get over it.

for me due to space constraint and its almost impossible to find a corner with a plug for a dry cabi, i use dry box instead and put a mini dehumidifier inside. its not as powerful as it sound and works pretty well.

as for the dust thingy, i do have a speck of dust at my mirror for very long also, cant be blown off, but anyway it doesnt affect image quality so i didnt bother to clean it off also. u can try cleaning it urself but u might end up messing it up. bringing to canon will cost u a fee. so the best is leave it alone unless it really irritates u that much lolx!

cheers.

lol. I think i really am a bit paranoid. ok i shall get a grib on myself from now on. Thanks for all the suggestion!

does anyone ever take the lens cover (front and back) or even the front cover of the camera body and rinse it under running tap or even wash it with soapy water? i could see a lot of dust (probably lint when i keep them in my pockets whilst shooting) between the seams.

Quote Originally Posted by montroy View Post
    does anyone ever take the lens cover (front and back) or even the front cover of the camera body and rinse it under running tap or even wash it with soapy water? i could see a lot of dust (probably lint when i keep them in my pockets whilst shooting) between the seams.
    Sometimes I'll wash it with detergent to get rid of century-accumulated dirt...those are just plastics...no harm...but rem to dry well before putting on again...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast