Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Recommendations for camera for street-photography and photo-blogging

  1. #1

    Default Recommendations for camera for street-photography and photo-blogging

    Hi guys I'm new here and just picked up interest in photography. Currently I own a Canon Ixus 860IS which has served me well since 2008. I've been using the camera mainly to photograph food apart from the casual group photos with friends. You can view some of my photos at http://foodandfrag.wordpress.com/category/reviews/food

    I've been thinking of upgrading my camera as I wish to embark on more serious photography, not just food but street as well. I'm not considering a DSLR now because I'm still serving NS and won't have time to practise and master the skills. Also, because I usually bring the camera out during meals, I would prefer a more compact camera.

    Hence, my two choices: Panasonic LX-3 and Canon S90. I know this has already been debated before, and I've read a lot of threads and reviews. But allow me to tell you my reasons for upgrading, so hopefully you can guide me in the right direction

    I'm planning to upgrade so that I can play around with manual settings and get a feel before I progress to DSLR after ORD next year, and at the same time still get good quality pictures. For food photography, I would need a camera which can perform well in low-lighting since many restaurants are dimly-lit, and I believe the LX-3 does that well. For street, I would like to focus on capturing both people and non-living objects like water, structures etc, and also try some processing in B&W.

    On the other hand, the S90 is definitely more compact than the LX-3. And before my Ixus I used a Powershot A520 so I'm quite comfortable with the Canon interface. Haven't tried the LX-3 though.

    I also read that the LX-3 can support lenses and filters, which gives it an advantage. But then again, given that I'm just starting out on this project I wonder if spending on these additional stuff would actually be missing the point of 'starting from basics', especially when I do intend to get a DSLR next year. I was quite amazed at the pictures which LX-3 could produce with a kit: http://www.mcgill.com.sg/shop/produc...182030500a533b

    My last issue is whether both cams will see an upgrade in the near future, as I'm looking to upgrade during the PC Show when prices SHOULD be a bit more attractive. So far the S90 looks to stay, but I'm not quite sure with the LX-3, especially with its low stocks now.

    Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by mortpenguin; 24th May 2010 at 10:45 PM.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: Recommendations for camera for street-photography and photo-blogging

    So you just want a camera that will allow you to set your own exposures manually?

    There are plenty more options then. If I were you, I wouldn't bother with a new pns if I know I'll be getting a DSLR soon. Playing around with the settings on a pns can take as much time as playing with a DSLR. I don't see the difference.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    718

    Default Re: Recommendations for camera for street-photography and photo-blogging

    I agree with Aspenx that you should skip the 'upgrade' to another PnS. Yes, you should get some experience fiddling around with manual controls but I don't think that warrants the expense of forking out for a S90 or LX3, and to be honest, the low light capabilities of both are still nowhere close to that of a DSLR.

    Maybe go shoot with a friend with a DSLR and play around with it for a bit. Your ixus should really serve you fine until you are ready to get your DSLR next year. In the meantime, even that can be a great tool for street photography (i've always seen it more as a concept than as a rule).

    On a side note, PC and IT show seldom have good prices, they just throw in a whole bunch of freebies, necessary or not.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Recommendations for camera for street-photography and photo-blogging

    hmmm how bout the Four Thirds cams? Olympus e-pen, lumix GF-1, and the brand new Sony Nex cams =D

  5. #5

    Default Re: Recommendations for camera for street-photography and photo-blogging

    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    I agree with Aspenx that you should skip the 'upgrade' to another PnS. Yes, you should get some experience fiddling around with manual controls but I don't think that warrants the expense of forking out for a S90 or LX3, and to be honest, the low light capabilities of both are still nowhere close to that of a DSLR.

    Maybe go shoot with a friend with a DSLR and play around with it for a bit. Your ixus should really serve you fine until you are ready to get your DSLR next year. In the meantime, even that can be a great tool for street photography (i've always seen it more as a concept than as a rule).

    On a side note, PC and IT show seldom have good prices, they just throw in a whole bunch of freebies, necessary or not.
    Thanks for the pointers guys. Actually I'm also not sure if I'll definitely get a DSLR next year as I'm getting my parents to sponsor the purchase. So in the event that I don't get a DSLR, at least I have something else to play with too.

    TBH I will still see myself using the compact more than the DSLR as I don't really like lugging big equipment around.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Recommendations for camera for street-photography and photo-blogging

    If what you are using serves you well ..... stick with it ... before "equipmenitis" spoils your "fun" in photography

  7. #7

    Default Re: Recommendations for camera for street-photography and photo-blogging

    depends on what you are looking for in your street photography?

    I myself have seen large format users casually working the streets so it all depends on what is your concept that influences your style.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  8. #8
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: Recommendations for camera for street-photography and photo-blogging

    Actually I like the Canon Ixus 860IS because it's a dumb blonde's camera. Even dumb blondes can operate it and very suited, e.g. to people like moms and such who just like to set on Auto and get the best picture possible.

    Don't be surprised if you may not get the same after going manual. My suggestion would be S90 in this case, reason being Canon PnS should relatively give the same Auto (in case you ever feel that you need to revert back to full Auto).

    There are enough threads here asking why PnS take better pictures than DSLR - ultimately if one is willing to invest the time to learn, a DSLR will always be better but if just want auto, sometimes PnS can seem to have better IQ (afterall, they're made for the mass consumer, who just want to press button and get the best picture).

  9. #9

    Default Re: Recommendations for camera for street-photography and photo-blogging

    Ricoh GXR or the Sigma DP2?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: Recommendations for camera for street-photography and photo-blogging

    Quote Originally Posted by mortpenguin View Post
    Thanks for the pointers guys. Actually I'm also not sure if I'll definitely get a DSLR next year as I'm getting my parents to sponsor the purchase. So in the event that I don't get a DSLR, at least I have something else to play with too.

    TBH I will still see myself using the compact more than the DSLR as I don't really like lugging big equipment around.
    Save your own money and get it yourself.

    You have income from NS. Just need to book-out less often and I'm sure you will not have a problem funding a DSLR since they are so much more affordable nowadays. Yes, just as "affordable" as the LX3 so you can always decide later whether to get a pns or DSLR.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Recommendations for camera for street-photography and photo-blogging

    Quote Originally Posted by mortpenguin View Post
    I'm planning to upgrade so that I can play around with manual settings and get a feel before I progress to DSLR after ORD next year, and at the same time still get good quality pictures. For food photography, I would need a camera which can perform well in low-lighting since many restaurants are dimly-lit, and I believe the LX-3 does that well.
    you can actually consider a small table top tripod for this purpose, which will allow you to use longer shutter speed and hence lower iso.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •