Thread: Lens Query

Wink Lens Query

Hi dear all,

I am new to Photography and Clubsnap.
    I use currently use:
    550D
    Canon 18-200mm IS

I am thinking of getting another lens to predominantly take portraits, children, babies, people during events etc, indoor low-light and outdoors.
    I also like good background blur effect and would not want to spend more than $800 on the lens.

Therefore should I be looking at the 30mm, 35mm, or 50mm lens and which focal length will suit better and offer the best flexibility? I am also mindful of the crop factor on my 550D.

I have also been doing research on these few lens. Which would you recommend?
    Is Sigma as good as Canon?
    Canon 50mm F1.4 USM
    Sigma 50mm F1.4 HSM
    Sigma 30mm F1.4 HSM
    Canon 35mm F2
    Canon 28mm F1.8

Any advice will be appreciated!

Default Re: Lens Query

Welcome to CS mou!

Any of those lenses would fit the bill, but the question depends largely on your shooting style and conditions. However, do note that with any wider lens, there's always a possibility of distorting faces and body parts. It may look so prominent on a 1.6x crop body, but it's still there.

If you can, try to borrow/rent the lenses you have shortlisted to get a feel or look at lens specific albums in flickr or on other album hosts.

Also, you could consider including the EF 85mm 1.8 in your list. For the money, it's quite a stunning performer. It's a very sharp lens, great bokeh and focuses fast. I've tried it on a 1,6x crop body and find it just nice for half body shots of small children in tight HDB sized rooms. For large children and adults, it might be a little too long in similar rooms.

All the best in your search.

Thanks Dream Merchant. Appreciate your prompt response.

Will certainly add the 85mm 1.8 to the list!

Have you tried the other 1.4?

Welcome to CS
    Take the shot!

Deregistered

Welcome to CS

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Also, you could consider including the EF 85mm 1.8 in your list. For the money, it's quite a stunning performer. It's a very sharp lens, great bokeh and focuses fast. I've tried it on a 1,6x crop body and find it just nice for half body shots of small children in tight HDB sized rooms.
    thx for recommending. nice lens indeed.

Maybe you can start by experimenting with your 18-200mm, which is the focal length you prefer to shoot with? Set your lens to 30mm, 50mm, 85mm, etc and try to shoot with that fixed focal length. Do you like it? Is it too tight/wide for you? $800 would be sufficient to get either of the lenses you mentioned here. Have fun choosing!

Quote Originally Posted by mou2705 View Post
    Will certainly add the 85mm 1.8 to the list!

Have you tried the other 1.4?
    There is no 85mm f1.4 for canon, but there is a third party maker coming out with an 85f1.4 soon, but that will probably burst your budget. the canon 85mmf1.2 will cost excess of 3k though.

the 85mm f1.8 is a very competent value for money fast telephoto.
    50mmf1.4 on a crop sensor is one of my fav travel and people lens, and of course opens more creativity with a thinner dof.

ryan

while sigma lenses are not inferior to original lenses, they may have a lesser resale value or they may be harder to sell in future.

you might want to consider that, in case you want to change/upgrade your lenses in future

Quote Originally Posted by photoart View Post
    while sigma lenses are not inferior to original lenses, they may have a lesser resale value or they may be harder to sell in future.

you might want to consider that, in case you want to change/upgrade your lenses in future
    Thanks and this is a worthy point of consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    There is no 85mm f1.4 for canon, but there is a third party maker coming out with an 85f1.4 soon, but that will probably burst your budget. the canon 85mmf1.2 will cost excess of 3k though.

the 85mm f1.8 is a very competent value for money fast telephoto.
    50mmf1.4 on a crop sensor is one of my fav travel and people lens, and of course opens more creativity with a thinner dof.

ryan
    Thanks Ryan!

Welcome to CS