Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Help, photos corrupted

  1. #1

    Default Help, photos corrupted

    Hi,
    got some serious issue here. recently when i was look through my past photos, i realized that most of my photos are corrupted.

    they look ok while viewing them as thumbnails when when i double click them to open them, the pics will get cut off or distorted. there are some which already look distorted while in thumbnails.

    what can i do to rescue my photos?

    thanks a million guys, really wld appreciate your help

  2. #2
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Help, photos corrupted

    please explain in greater detail. Hard to figure out what you're saying.
    when you double-click the thumbnails, what program is used to open the images?

    if the image was fine when you saved it, it's not going to automatically distort itself after some time, unless you did something to the image.
    Exploring! :)

  3. #3
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: Help, photos corrupted

    Pictures on hard disk or flash card?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Help, photos corrupted

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    please explain in greater detail. Hard to figure out what you're saying.
    when you double-click the thumbnails, what program is used to open the images?

    if the image was fine when you saved it, it's not going to automatically distort itself after some time, unless you did something to the image.
    tried using office picture manager and nikon nx 2 to open, both distort.

    when file was saved, it was ok

  5. #5

    Default Re: Help, photos corrupted

    Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    Pictures on hard disk or flash card?
    hard disk

  6. #6
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Help, photos corrupted

    your PC or laptop could be slow causing

    plug the hard drive into another device to see if it still happens
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  7. #7

    Default Re: Help, photos corrupted

    Quote Originally Posted by ahming111 View Post
    Hi,
    got some serious issue here. recently when i was look through my past photos, i realized that most of my photos are corrupted.
    Thats hard to believe...AFAIK only politicians are corrupted.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Help, photos corrupted

    hi guys!i have the same problem TS has stated when the files were saved in the hard disk it was okay. but after awhile, the files cant be opened.

    tried using olympus master, it says no file. same as photoshop. when using windows picture and fax viewer it says file cannot be opened or no preview available. some of the thumbnails look fine b4 double clicking, while some of the thumbnails cant even put up a display.

    it this a problem with my hard disk? tried with my desktop and laptop but both canot open.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East
    Posts
    293

    Default Re: Help, photos corrupted

    Quote Originally Posted by starocker View Post
    hi guys!i have the same problem TS has stated when the files were saved in the hard disk it was okay. but after awhile, the files cant be opened.

    tried using olympus master, it says no file. same as photoshop. when using windows picture and fax viewer it says file cannot be opened or no preview available. some of the thumbnails look fine b4 double clicking, while some of the thumbnails cant even put up a display.

    it this a problem with my hard disk? tried with my desktop and laptop but both canot open.
    if your thumbnails can't even display, then it is possible that the Jpeg files are corrupted.
    Every jpeg file start with "ff d8" for the 1st two bytes. Use the following Hex edit to open the jpeg file, change the first two bytes to ff d8 if they are corrupted then save under a different file name. Try and see whether this fix your problem.

    http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...ad-119408.html

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore - Jurong West
    Posts
    807

    Default Re: Help, photos corrupted

    Has happened to me too. But it's my RAW files that got corrupted

    I think it happens if data wasn't copied properly. But how to check if it's copied properly? I've no idea.

    Any program that copies files with CRC check?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Help, photos corrupted

    Hi Guys, understand how you feel as it happened to me before. I wasn't able to recover the files but at least I know what caused the corruption.

    In Windows, the maintenance schedule for hard disk defragmentation is "On" by default. You need to turned this off for your backup disks (where your photos are stored). I didn't realise this until I found out that most of my photos are corrupted except for the disks in which I had turned off the defrag schedule. I'm guessing that defragmentation sometimes cause corrupted files as files gets moved in fragments to non-ideal locations on hard disks. The corrupted files won't even show up under file check/ scan. You'll know only when you can't open the jpg files. I tried recovering some of the pictures using file recovery software but the results were always without success.

    This was more than a year ago, and I have no more problems since then (after I turned the defrag scheduling "off"). I also keep 2 backups of all my photos - not an easy task to do. One set is on a portable hard disk while the other set goes onto a recordable DVD.

    Hope the above helps!
    Last edited by mohdya; 29th May 2010 at 02:22 PM.
    'Photography is the Art or Process of Producing Images,
    The Art of Photography is Another Story.'

  12. #12
    Member ChengB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    153

    Default Re: Help, photos corrupted

    Quote Originally Posted by mohdya View Post
    Hi Guys, understand how you feel as it happened to me before. I wasn't able to recover the files but at least I know what caused the corruption.

    In Windows, the maintenance schedule for hard disk defragmentation is "On" by default. You need to turned this off for your backup disks (where your photos are stored). I didn't realise this until I found out that most of my photos are corrupted except for the disks in which I had turned off the defrag schedule. I'm guessing that defragmentation sometimes cause corrupted files as files gets moved in fragments to non-ideal locations on hard disks. The corrupted files won't even show up under file check/ scan. You'll know only when you can't open the jpg files. I tried recovering some of the pictures using file recovery software but the results were always without success.

    This was more than a year ago, and I have no more problems since then (after I turned the defrag scheduling "off"). I also keep 2 backups of all my photos - not an easy task to do. One set is on a portable hard disk while the other set goes onto a recordable DVD.

    Hope the above helps!
    Hi, would you mind sharing how you turn this defragmentation option off? I suddenly fear for my photos after reading this thread.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East
    Posts
    293

    Default Re: Help, photos corrupted

    Quote Originally Posted by ChengB View Post
    Hi, would you mind sharing how you turn this defragmentation option off? I suddenly fear for my photos after reading this thread.
    All Programs -> Accessories --> System tools -> Defragmenter and disable the run on schedule

  14. #14

    Default Re: Help, photos corrupted

    thx kutten for the link..i will try it out..

    n also thx to mohdya..now my other files are not at risk..haha..lost toooooooo many photos liao..

    cheers guys

  15. #15
    Member ChengB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    153

    Default Re: Help, photos corrupted

    Quote Originally Posted by kutten View Post
    All Programs -> Accessories --> System tools -> Defragmenter and disable the run on schedule
    THANKS! Now my pictures shall be safe (hopefully).

  16. #16
    Member johnmateosong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines, Philippin
    Posts
    76

    Default Re: Help, photos corrupted

    try a format and then retreive data using data rescue. it might fix file structure.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Help, photos corrupted

    Thanks to kutten who helped reply to an enquiry to my posting.

    johnmateosong, I don't think you want to format your hard disk which may have already poor(going bad) /bad sectors. Using a data rescue software is not always foolproof. I've tried this before with a couple of good softwares (so they claim) but could not retrieve lost/ corrupted data 100%. The truth is you do get the data back but most of them are not readable - esp. jpegs, doc files , zips etc.

    Defragmentation is not that all bad. In fact, it speeds up hard disk reading (performance) and potentially minimises hard disk failure due to less movement of the the read head mechanism - a defragmented file occupy a single contiguous space, while a fragmented one is all over the place.

    The only way to do this right is to run this when you are not doing anything with the computer and ensure that the process is fully completed before shutting down. It is also good to run a checkdisk or full surface scan before doing defragmentation. If there are bad sectors, defragmentation should NOT be carried out!

    Hope the above explanation helps (which I had learnt from personal experience as an engineer)!
    'Photography is the Art or Process of Producing Images,
    The Art of Photography is Another Story.'

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •