Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: How Would You Indulge a Want?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    1,325

    Default How Would You Indulge a Want?

    I've never really hung out here in Kopitiam, but I suppose my rant has no other suitable sub-forum to post. And I chose to rant here in CS coz we're all photography enthusiasts, and I suppose there would be people who feel the way I do, however irrational it may be.

    Recently, I just really really really wanna get my hands on a Nikon 35mm f1.4 AIS. I don't need it, I won't die without it, I can still take photos without it, but the WANT is still there. Y'know that kind of feeling?

    Thing is, I'm in between jobs at the moment, don't have alot of money, BUT still able to afford it. Just that of course there are better uses for such money... like saving for a rainy day, buying lunch for a friend, even donations and whatnot... but the WANT is still there!

    So you see, it's really just irrationality, and coming down with the BBB virus... but having succumbed to such thoughts, how would you handle it?
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

  2. #2

    Default Re: How Would You Indulge a Want?

    Most people will tell you that buy only what you need in life. But, in Singapore, we don't really have many "need" items. And because of our living standard, relatively high incomes, most of us almost always buy mostly only "wanted" items. Compare to many other things or services, such as cars, petrol, taxi, food, massage, etc cam lens seem to be small buys.

    So I say if you feel that you can afford the amount to get a lens, and if you think it will give you some happiness, just indulge in it. The loss is relatively small change when you put it back to B & S
    always the Light, .... always.

  3. #3
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: How Would You Indulge a Want?

    I actually calculate my buys according to resale values. If can resell, then why not?

  4. #4

    Default Re: How Would You Indulge a Want?

    Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Recently, I just really really really wanna get my hands on a Nikon 35mm f1.4 AIS. I don't need it, I won't die without it, I can still take photos without it, but the WANT is still there. Y'know that kind of feeling?
    i'd rather retire at like...... 40. i mean... 30.

    no, i think i want to retire now.

    time to indulge it and sleep on the streets.

  5. #5
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: How Would You Indulge a Want?

    See which one win lor.... Common Sense OR Wanting/Needing/Dreaming

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  6. #6
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: How Would You Indulge a Want?

    Go get it, if not stop surfing cs for the time being.

  7. #7
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: How Would You Indulge a Want?

    Try and see if you are able to sell some of the seldom use lenses to fund for the new lenses. I sold my 70-200 2.8 and bought 35 1.4 and 135 2.0. That way, you only need to top up and will feel less guilty about it.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    1,325

    Default Re: How Would You Indulge a Want?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    So I say if you feel that you can afford the amount to get a lens, and if you think it will give you some happiness, just indulge in it. The loss is relatively small change when you put it back to B & S
    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    See which one win lor.... Common Sense OR Wanting/Needing/Dreaming
    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Go get it, if not stop surfing cs for the time being.
    Haha! Indeed, if I put it back up for sale, the loss is minimal. But I don't buy with resale in mind leh... even though there is a chance that I WILL sell it in future.

    But yes, common sense is losing to dreaming... hahaha!

    Leong, I don't think it's CS' fault... hahaha! Don't really see much about the 35/1.4 here. It's just stuck in my head already... jialat. I wake up thinking about the 35/1.4...
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    1,325

    Default Re: How Would You Indulge a Want?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i'd rather retire at like...... 40. i mean... 30.

    no, i think i want to retire now.

    time to indulge it and sleep on the streets.
    Haha! The amount I've spent photography isn't enough to allow for early retirement yet... so I don't think I would even if I didn't buy it. But it WOULD be nice to retire at 30, but that means I'll be retired in like, 3 years! Perhaps you have a point about sleeping on the streets...

    Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    Try and see if you are able to sell some of the seldom use lenses to fund for the new lenses. I sold my 70-200 2.8 and bought 35 1.4 and 135 2.0. That way, you only need to top up and will feel less guilty about it.
    I don't have seldom used lenses that will offset a significant amount leh... but yes, I do intend sell off my AIS 35/2 if I decide to get the 35/1.4, BUT I'd like to compare both lenses myself first...
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

  10. #10
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: How Would You Indulge a Want?

    Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Haha! Indeed, if I put it back up for sale, the loss is minimal. But I don't buy with resale in mind leh... even though there is a chance that I WILL sell it in future.

    But yes, common sense is losing to dreaming... hahaha!

    Leong, I don't think it's CS' fault... hahaha! Don't really see much about the 35/1.4 here. It's just stuck in my head already... jialat. I wake up thinking about the 35/1.4...
    Ok.....i post shot with AIS 35mm/1.4.


  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: How Would You Indulge a Want?

    I have the 35mm f/1.4 AI and will like to have the AiS version too...

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    1,325

    Default Re: How Would You Indulge a Want?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Ok.....i post shot with AIS 35mm/1.4.
    Wah piang... hahaha! Evil! Is that shot wide open?

    Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    I have the 35mm f/1.4 AI and will like to have the AiS version too...
    Is there a difference between the AI and AIS one? I thought they're like, the same, except for NIC on the latter...?
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

  13. #13
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: How Would You Indulge a Want?

    Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Wah piang... hahaha! Evil! Is that shot wide open?
    LOL. yes, it is taken wide open.

  14. #14
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: How Would You Indulge a Want?

    you want us to help you to think of a good excuse to spend your money on something you want?

    xmas, birthday, did something good, finsihed all your vegetables, passed a test ... ...

    the excuses are endless, try this

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404081

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    1,325

    Default Re: How Would You Indulge a Want?

    Hahaha! COOL LIST Ortega! Hahaha! Seriously... why did it stop at 442? Hahahaha! Lemme read through that when I have the time. =P
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

  16. #16
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: How Would You Indulge a Want?

    you can contribute to the list of excuses if you want

  17. #17

    Default Re: How Would You Indulge a Want?

    i woke up feeling like i won the lottery today

    so i went to bbb 5 d3

  18. #18
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: How Would You Indulge a Want?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i woke up feeling like i won the lottery today

    so i went to bbb 5 d3
    Huh? Is that like 5 pieces of D3 or a 5DMk3?

    If it's 5 pieces of D3, I help you carry one

  19. #19
    Member leowyien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Serangoon
    Posts
    859

    Default Re: How Would You Indulge a Want?

    You hv a lot of equipment wad...
    Panasonic FZ20, Olympus mju 800D (modded for IR), Lomo Fisheye 2, Actionsampler, Actionsampler Flash, Nikon FM2n, Nikon FG, Nikon D300...

    Go sell one and you got money!!
    indie

  20. #20
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: How Would You Indulge a Want?

    TS already posted WTB at B&S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •