Thread: wide angle zoom lens, std zoom lens , telephoto zoom lens

Default wide angle zoom lens, std zoom lens , telephoto zoom lens

Dear sifus,

any recommendation for these 3 type of lens?

Default Re: wide angle zoom lens, std zoom lens , telephoto zoom lens

Whichever match your needs and budget. And your post is utter rubbish. Are we supposed to be psychic and know what system you're using?

what lenses have you checked out? What reviews have you read? What research have you done before coming here to be spoonfed?
    Last edited by Rashkae; 24th May 2010 at 12:35 AM.
    Alpha

Aaand why the hell do you have to be a total prick and be totally rude?

Asking "what system are you on" would've been much more constructive and get the job done easily.

Don't want to be nice, just don't post in the thread that pisses you off.

To TS:
    If you're on Canon,
    Pros probably use the 16-35 f/2.8L II, 24-70 f/2.8L and 70-200 f/2.8L IS (mk1 or mk2) -> reason is because of the f/2.8 aperture which is helpful in low light.

Lightweight photogs who want good image quality without having to lug around the above usually take the 17-40 f/4L, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/4L IS or f/4L.

Those are better on full frame than on crop ^

The financially restricted use the 18-55 IS kit lens and 55-250IS lenses. The 10-22 as well, if you're on 1.6 crop.

Cheers,
    Zexun
    Last edited by Headshotzx; 24th May 2010 at 12:57 AM.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    Aaand why the hell do you have to be a total prick and be totally rude?

Asking "what system are you on" would've been much more constructive and get the job done easily.

Don't want to be nice, just don't post in the thread that pisses you off.

To TS:
    If you're on Canon,
    Pros probably use the 16-35 f/2.8L II, 24-70 f/2.8L and 70-200 f/2.8L IS (mk1 or mk2) -> reason is because of the f/2.8 aperture which is helpful in low light.

Lightweight photogs who want good image quality without having to lug around the above usually take the 17-40 f/4L, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/4L IS or f/4L.

Those are better on full frame than on crop ^

The financially restricted use the 18-55 IS kit lens and 55-250IS lenses. The 10-22 as well, if you're on 1.6 crop.

Cheers,
    Zexun
    Dear ZeXun,

Really appreciate your patience
    Yes, i am using Canon 450D with Kit lens I 18-55mm IS
    My fren do recommend me on Sigma 17-70mm F/2.8 - 4 with image stablizer for rojak lens

Yr recommedation on the lens really helps alot for me to decide on which lens to get...
    Can i ask how abt EF 28- 105mm F/3.5 - 4.5 II USM? am looking at 1 lens which can cover from wide angle to std zoom lens, this one ok?

Quote Originally Posted by tomato55 View Post
    Dear ZeXun,

Really appreciate your patience
    My fren do recommend me on Sigma 17-70mm F/2.8 - 4 with image stablizer for rojak lens

Yr recommedation on the lens really helps alot for me to decide on which lens to get...
    Can i ask how abt EF 28- 105mm F/3.5 - 4.5 II USM? am looking at 1 lens which can cover from wide angle to std zoom lens, this one ok?
    Get the 18-200 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by tehzeh View Post
    Get the 18-200 instead.
    Thanks TehZeh, hmmm.. another lens to take into consideration....

This is good if you're on full frame, but you're on crop so you would lose a lot of the wide angle. A tamron 18-270 would suit you better for walkabout.
    Alpha

Blog Entries

Aaand why the hell do you have to be a total pri*k and be totally rude?
    Mind your language too. kids nowadays.. haizz.

Blog Entries

TS, in the end, all the recommendations here will be quite useless. U know why? Because none of us knows what your shooting preferences are.

These questions need to be answered before people can give you a good answer:

What you like to shoot
    How you like to shoot
    Where you like to shoot
    When you like to shoot.

Give you examples of why these questions matter. If you shoot at Noon everyday in bright strong sunlight. F2.8 isn't going to do you much good anyway. If you do free rock/mountain climbing, heavy or multiple lenses may be out for you. If you like to shoot wide landscapes and long exposure, you do not need large aperture lenses as most of your work will be stopped down. If you hike or backpack over very long distances, you might appreciate a all-in-one lens (like 18-200).

But if you still insist on lens recommendations, I will be like the rest of the folks here and recommend you to get all the expensive F2.8 lenses, especially L. Why? Because most people think expensive, and the red ring means good picture results.. Heeeeh.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 24th May 2010 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    This is good if you're on full frame, but you're on crop so you would lose a lot of the wide angle. A tamron 18-270 would suit you better for walkabout.
    Since the TS is on a Canon, I would recommend the Canon 18-200IS -> http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481860 instead.

So far it's the only EF-S lens that I kept.

*shrug* - let a man receive the treatment he gives others. I hold no qualms, and hope nobody does.

canon's 18-200 is impressive. Not as impressive as nikon's, but very good all the same.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Blog Entries

*shrug* - let a man receive the treatment he gives others. I hold no qualms, and hope nobody does.
    And even though Rashkae is a little rough on the newbie, he did not (and never ever, in my short time here) used foul language. So well done, you just sank lower than him. Which is why I voiced out to you, like how you thought you had to voice out to him.

Young man, you do that on a constant basis, and you will become the very things you voiced out against. The mature thing to do is to apologize for the use of that expletive term. But then again, people are generally tolerant about immature behavior from people at your age. So, whatever....
    Last edited by daredevil123; 24th May 2010 at 09:53 AM.

canon's 18-200 is impressive. Not as impressive as nikon's, but very good all the same.
    To it's own.. Nikon's version does offer a faster focusing motor but the MM in Canon is no slouch too.

Personally I always feel the "Equipment is only as good as it's wielder". Both lenses may not offer L or ED IQ out-of-the-box, but on the right hands I am sure they can no doubt be able to provide wonderful shots too.

All the lenses you mentioned are more than 'okay'. It's really up to you to determine what you need. If you're looking for one general purpose lens, the 28-105 may be a little limiting on the wide end, because your 450D uses a crop sensor (look it up if you're not sure what this means).

What is it about your kit lens that you don't like, or find limiting?
    Do you find yourself wanting to zoom in further a lot of the time? In this case you need a telezoom such as a 55-200. Do you like the wide angle end more? Then maybe a wide zoom like the 10-22 is the cure. Like to shoot in low light but the limited by the aperture range on your 18-55? Then a fast zoom (17-55/2.8) or a fast prime (50/1.8) may be the answer. The 18-200 will cover most of the range you're likely to need, but not the low-light situations I mentioned.
    Not sure? Look at the shots you have taken so far for a start.

Don't feel you HAVE TO have a wide zoom, standard zoom and telephoto zoom for your kit to be complete. Personally I could get rid of my telezoom and not miss it 99% of the time. Get what you'll use more first.

And don't get caught in the trap of upgrading for upgrading's sake -- your shots won't improve just because you buy a 'better' (read 'more expensive') lens.

Thanks to all the Sifus..... really helpful....
    Sorry for not being specific enuf in my questions, newbie usually super blur like a sotong.... hehehe ......

Daredevil123 - basically, most of the time i like to shoot food, portrait, upclose on subjects(marco). i do take some landscape/building if going for traveling/walkabout on streets. usually i take is day time, night time seldom....yah, i know.. is a myth the more expensive lens the better ur pics will be.. hehe.. but i don really believe tat....

Anson - yah 18-200 is all in one lens.... i olso don like to change my lens so often....
    but with my kit lens 15-55, if i get 18-200, ?overlapping

Edwin - Yah, my kit lens giving me limitation on zooming & u really like reading my mind!!!! hehehe.... i don wan to upgrade for the sake of upgrading.....

Rashkae - tamrom 18-270mm... hmmm... can take in consideration

Conclusion: Am looking for walkabout lens which can cover for pics like food, potrait, upclose subjects, landscape, building ...
    any suggestion? don scold me ya...

If u don hv a clear idea of what lens u need most, just get the 18-270. Will fit most of the situation u will need.

if you still don't know what you want to shoot/what interests you the most, stay with kit lens first. Really nothing wrong with using kit lens.

thanks tehzeh & andriod for d advise...

let me think think wat i really wanna achive when take pix.....

depends on what you need.
    like what others said, you want all in one: canon 18-200 or tamron 18-270
    wide angle only: 10-22
    general zoom but diff from kit: 17-55 or 15-85
    tele zooming: 55-250

Since u saying "Conclusion: Am looking for walkabout lens which can cover for pics like food, potrait, upclose subjects, landscape, building ...
    any suggestion? don scold me ya..."
    I would suggest 18-200 or 18-270. can fit your needs...

Blog Entries

Daredevil123 - basically, most of the time i like to shoot food, portrait, upclose on subjects(marco). i do take some landscape/building if going for traveling/walkabout on streets. usually i take is day time, night time seldom....yah, i know.. is a myth the more expensive lens the better ur pics will be.. hehe.. but i don really believe tat....
    :
    For macro - Tamron 90mm macro
    For portrait - Canon 50/1.8
    for Travelling and landscape/ walkabout - use your kit lens.
    If you think your kit lens is restrictive, sell your kit lens, get the Canon 18-200 or tamron 18-270

In which order you get your lens, you have to decide. The 50/1.8 is the cheapest and cost below $150.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 26th May 2010 at 08:25 AM.