Thread: AF Servo & Taking pictures of kids/animals

Default AF Servo & Taking pictures of kids/animals

Hi, I would like to seek the help of fellow forum users, how to do the following better? I tried taking photos of kids/dogs today and I can't seem to take clear shots of them even though i'm using f2.8 and 1/125.

I'm using Canon 500D with Tamron 17-50 f/2.8

1) How to use the AF Servo setting?

2) Any better way to take pictures of moving kids/dogs?

Thank you all for the replies!
    Canon Powershot G7X

Default Re: AF Servo & Taking pictures of kids/animals

Quote Originally Posted by kinetic82 View Post
    Hi, I would like to seek the help of fellow forum users, how to do the following better? I tried taking photos of kids/dogs today and I can't seem to take clear shots of them even though i'm using f2.8 and 1/125.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The focus speed of a non-USM lens is not good enough for kids.

Had been trying very hard to get a sharp picture of my kid(while moving) with 500D + Tamron lenses ... Never succeeded.

Now, I have upgraded to 7D & USM lenses. Quite difficult to find any OOF images on AI Servo, now.

Ic.. USM lens.. 17-55 is very exp man..
    Canon Powershot G7X

Quote Originally Posted by kinetic82 View Post

Animals/kids should be still alright. What's r e settings you used?
    However, if its kids/animals that are running towards you, ur current lens AF speed most prolly will not be able to keep up.

For that, u can look at other usm lens, not necessarily the 17-55 one but 17-85 (abit soft) or 15-85 (other members in cs did mention its quite good but did not tried that b4)

I'll advise u to read deeper into AF servo. If u have tracked the subject initially using the center af pt, then it could be the lens af speed limitation. Otherwise u should be able to focus it. My dance pics re focused as long the tracking didn't focus on the background instead. I doubt ur kids move as fast as the dancers....probably dog might. Do allow the center af to track ur subject for a while.

Ok guys, thanks! i will try again.. hopefully its not the lens issue..
    Canon Powershot G7X

Moving kids and animals pose some of the most challenging situations to any photographer and AF system.

While I'm not that familiar with your lens, I would suggest that 1/125 and f/2.8 is no where close to what's needed to get pin sharp photos.

Depending on the speed/direction and predictability of the course of movement of the subject, you may have to up your ISO, hit a minimum of 1/400 and close down to about f/4-5.6. But these figures are not cast in stone because we have absolutely no idea what your subject/situation is. We don't even know what sort of light you're shooting in, subject and background contrast, how you have set your AF to work or pre-shot techniques.

AI servo does not work best, or at all if you just point and blast. You have to activate focusing, keeping a selected AF point locked on the subject for at least half a second (Canon usually says one second) to give the on-board processors time to gather data, compute and predict focus.

Do a search with headers like 'how to use of AI servo AF' and look up articles on 'how to photograph running children/animals'.

CHEERS!

It all boils down to how much light you have to work with.

In broad daylight, you can use speed of 1/500~1/2000 even at F20+

At night, having a 2.8 gives a little leeway against increasing the ISO which introduces noise and allows faster shutter speed.

The best way to learn is to practice.
    Last edited by Reportage; 25th May 2010 at 11:55 PM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Your 50 1.8 produces nice bokeh and allow more light. Push your ISO, use available light and you should be fine.

Ok guys. Thanks for the insight! Will practice more.
    Canon Powershot G7X