Thread: Stress on flash mount/hot shoe

Default Stress on flash mount/hot shoe

Does it wear out the flash mount and hot shoe faster when shooting a big flash on hot shoe especially when you always switch from horizontal to vertical orientation(& vice versa) in a swift manner? Most good flashes are of significant weight, but it is made of plastic. And the hot shoe too, if damaged duno whether it would affect the connection

Default Re: Stress on flash mount/hot shoe

What camera are you talking about?

I have heard about some issues with the hotshoe connector at the flash .. but never about a hotshoe on the camera giving way. I guess the camera manufacturer did some proper homework there. Secondly: don't underestimate the strength of certain types of plastic.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by PowerShort View Post
    Does it wear out the flash mount and hot shoe faster when shooting a big flash on hot shoe especially when you always switch from horizontal to vertical orientation(& vice versa) in a swift manner? Most good flashes are of significant weight, but it is made of plastic. And the hot shoe too, if damaged duno whether it would affect the connection
    No issue lah.... I often hold the whole rig by the flash
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Wah?! Carry whole rig by the flash is really too much man....

But I supposed the body hot shoe can support the whole flash lah. I always switch the orientation fast and was kinda feeling paranoid after a while. Scared one day the flash drop off.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerShort View Post
    Wah?! Carry whole rig by the flash is really too much man....

But I supposed the body hot shoe can support the whole flash lah. I always switch the orientation fast and was kinda feeling paranoid after a while. Scared one day the flash drop off.
    It won't... and my camera is a D200 with grip so you can imagine the weight...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Eh.. I think I pamper my camera too much already.

When I mount my flash on the body, I usually carry my camera like as if cradling a baby. Making sure to suppor the entire weight of flash + body. Ahahahahahah.........

Not bad uh..