Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Shooting the moon?

  1. #1

    Default Shooting the moon?

    hi guys, anyone ever shot a pix of the moon? Can't seem to find any threads in here.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,323

    Default Re: Shooting the moon?

    use the search function and search for moon under 'night photography' you'll see a lot of threads on that. click the following link and you will see it.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/searc...rchid=11324847

  3. #3

    Default Re: Shooting the moon?

    I do I think most DSLR users should have done it before. It is rather easy but you need a longer lens if you wish to see more details.

    Here is my first attempt with my 70-200mm at 16th floor HDB. Quite small though.




    Quote Originally Posted by chocnoodles View Post
    hi guys, anyone ever shot a pix of the moon? Can't seem to find any threads in here.
    Last edited by kineticworks; 23rd May 2010 at 01:53 AM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Shooting the moon?

    Quote Originally Posted by kineticworks View Post
    I do I think most DSLR users should have done it before. It is rather easy but you need a longer lens if you wish to see more details.

    Here is my first attempt with my 70-200mm at 16th floor HDB. Quite small though.

    How did u get in so close with just a 70-200mm?? Are u using any teleconverters??
    I tried once with my 70-200mm but failed terribly.
    In the end, i borrowed my friend's BigmOS to shoot. Anything shorter than 400 is impossible for me.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Shooting the moon?

    This is a cropped image. No teleconverter as I could only afford a f4 version at that time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Profezeur View Post
    How did u get in so close with just a 70-200mm?? Are u using any teleconverters??
    I tried once with my 70-200mm but failed terribly.
    In the end, i borrowed my friend's BigmOS to shoot. Anything shorter than 400 is impossible for me.
    Last edited by kineticworks; 23rd May 2010 at 11:35 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,631

    Default Re: Shooting the moon?

    I tried with a friend's 500D and a rented 300 2.8L non IS. 500D helps when you're shooting at low ISOs (it's a bright moon) and want to crop lots. It was very sharp indeed! Putting TC's on just degrades it imo, better to crop if your cam has enough MP's.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  7. #7

    Default Re: Shooting the moon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    I tried with a friend's 500D and a rented 300 2.8L non IS. 500D helps when you're shooting at low ISOs (it's a bright moon) and want to crop lots. It was very sharp indeed! Putting TC's on just degrades it imo, better to crop if your cam has enough MP's.
    Hmm Thanks Headshotzx..
    Will try that next time!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Shooting the moon?

    Quote Originally Posted by kineticworks View Post
    I do I think most DSLR users should have done it before. It is rather easy but you need a longer lens if you wish to see more details.

    Here is my first attempt with my 70-200mm at 16th floor HDB. Quite small though.

    hmm..interesting. will hunt for a longer lens. Thx for the tips guys!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Shooting the moon?

    Remember to keep low ISO and smaller aperture to prevent over-exposure.
    Get a tripod and wait for full moon or when moon looks bigger.

    Quote Originally Posted by chocnoodles View Post
    hmm..interesting. will hunt for a longer lens. Thx for the tips guys!

  10. #10
    Senior Member NovJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    ~Sunny Little Island~
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: Shooting the moon?

    Sharing one of my moon shots.



    Settings:
    Canon EOS 450D
    Canon EFS 18-200mm Lens
    F-Nummer: F 10.0
    Aperature value: F 9.9
    Exposure time: 1/25 sec.
    Shutter speed value: 1/25 sec.
    Focusal length: 200.0 mm
    Exposure program: Manual control
    ISO speed rate: ISO-100

  11. #11
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,057

    Default Re: Shooting the moon?

    Care to explain the difference between F-Number and Aperture, as well Exposure Time and Shutter speed value?
    EOS

  12. #12

    Default Re: Shooting the moon?

    Quote Originally Posted by NovJoe View Post
    Sharing one of my moon shots.

    nice!

  13. #13
    Member dingaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore | East
    Posts
    1,952

    Default Re: Shooting the moon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Care to explain the difference between F-Number and Aperture, as well Exposure Time and Shutter speed value?
    Hahaha, maybe he's quoting the data from his Image manipulation software ad verbatim. He also wants to be precise with his Aperture value, as compared to an F-nummer that is a round nummer. Don't you get it??? Hehehe.

    Sorry TS for poking fun at you

    Cheers!
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

  14. #14

  15. #15
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,057

    Default Re: Shooting the moon?

    Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    Hahaha, maybe he's quoting the data from his Image manipulation software ad verbatim. He also wants to be precise with his Aperture value, as compared to an F-nummer that is a round nummer. Don't you get it??? Hehehe.
    Gosh, didn't noticed .. 'Nummer' is the German word for number. And "Focusal length" is also a funny new term Looks like some funky freeware
    EOS

  16. #16
    Senior Member engrmariano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Rivervale
    Posts
    3,525

    Default Re: Shooting the moon?

    my latest...

    550D + 70-200mm 2.8 IS + 2X + 1.4X, 33% crop, 2688mm equivalent point of view.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,917

    Default Re: Shooting the moon?

    Quote Originally Posted by engrmariano View Post
    my latest...

    550D + 70-200mm 2.8 IS + 2X + 1.4X, 33% crop, 2688mm equivalent point of view.
    Looking good....
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  18. #18

    Default Re: Shooting the moon?

    Try a T adapter and hook up to a telescope?


    from http://myskyneark.com/equip.html
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Shooting the moon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    Try a T adapter and hook up to a telescope?


    from http://myskyneark.com/equip.html
    hahaha

  20. #20

    Default Re: Shooting the moon?

    Quote Originally Posted by NovJoe View Post
    Sharing one of my moon shots.



    Settings:
    Canon EOS 450D
    Canon EFS 18-200mm Lens
    F-Nummer: F 10.0
    Aperature value: F 9.9
    Exposure time: 1/25 sec.
    Shutter speed value: 1/25 sec.
    Focusal length: 200.0 mm
    Exposure program: Manual control
    ISO speed rate: ISO-100
    this is nice. with a 200mm. which means 300mm would be even closer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •