Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon 50D vs 550D

Default Re: Canon 50D vs 550D

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    ah, i see.

without the af assist beam, have you tried different bodies? after all, if you *are* planning to use your camera for wedding photography, don't think any couple would like their photographer strobing people with built-in flash......

oh, and if you use the af assist lamp on the flashes - will they fire? TIA.
    It's possible to use the beam without firing the flash, you just have to enable it in the Custom Functions menu.

Apparently it enables lenses to lock on swiftly with greatly reduced focus hunting especially in low light situations.

confusing meh.....?

anyhow, i was also asking if you could just use the flash for af assist and nothing else - i.e. it won't fire, just send out the beam. i already found out the answer to that, so never mind.
    Can teach me, I'm trying to use the AF assist without firing the flash. Currently turn the flash away from the object. Thanks
    Canon 60D| EF-S 17-55 IS | EF 24-105 IS | 580EX II

Quote Originally Posted by tonytan0 View Post
    Can teach me, I'm trying to use the AF assist without firing the flash. Currently turn the flash away from the object. Thanks
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/.../t-257576.html

Thanks but i'm using 430EX2. do not have Cn Function 03.
    anyway, thanks alot very useful info. thanks alot
    Canon 60D| EF-S 17-55 IS | EF 24-105 IS | 580EX II

550d is newer camera, got all the bells and whistles that all the big manufacturers are slapping on cameras these days, like video capabilities. if you not interested in video, can forget about this, really.

each of them have additional features that other does not have. for example, 50d will probably have more dials and controls that can be changed quickly, being a prosumer level dslr. the 550d will have some advanced settings that will not be changed much by a newcomer to photography buried in its menus.

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    True.. ROI for hobbyist are mostly negative however I am sure no one like to purchase something today and have it drop (in price) the next. No doubt 7D would drop in price too, however it would be a later stage.

For me if I am choosing between the 40D and 50D, I would go for the 40D. But that OT on this thread. If you notice in BnS, the more $$$ the body, the greater the price drop. Hence if it's just for hobbyist, why not just invest on a entry level dslr and "invest" on lenses instead.
    My intention is to use the camera for 3-4 years and gradually improve my skills, i.e. hopefully using the various settings, etc. I expect the price to drop since there will new models launched each year.

So is getting an entry level dslr and spending more on lenses a better option. I didn't think of this initially but can consider this, i.e. might change lenses over the 3-4 year period but use the same camera body.

Is there not much difference between the 40D and 50D. Can consider this option as well based on expert's recommendation.

Video is good to have but not necessary, might use this once a while. If I want video, I'll buy a dedicated video camera instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kee Huat View Post
    My intention is to use the camera for 3-4 years and gradually improve my skills, i.e. hopefully using the various settings, etc. I expect the price to drop since there will new models launched each year.

So is getting an entry level dslr and spending more on lenses a better option. I didn't think of this initially but can consider this, i.e. might change lenses over the 3-4 year period but use the same camera body.

Is there not much difference between the 40D and 50D. Can consider this option as well based on expert's recommendation.

Video is good to have but not necessary, might use this once a while. If I want video, I'll buy a dedicated video camera instead.
    i think basically the 50d has more megapixels with per pixel iso performance on par with the 40d. other than that, you get a better lcd lor. for the rest i think sama sama.

as much as there is luck involved in shutter life, the old 40d's are more likely to fail and require replacement sooner. other than that, with the 50d you will get warranty. cosmetic condition, unless you are lucky to meet some joker who has been sitting on his camera for a long time......................... 50d is likely to be more presentable. it's a small thing, but it still matters.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytan0 View Post
    Thanks but i'm using 430EX2. do not have Cn Function 03.
    anyway, thanks alot very useful info. thanks alot
    google is your best friend:

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Lgyv

i think basically the 50d has more megapixels with per pixel iso performance on par with the 40d. other than that, you get a better lcd lor. for the rest i think sama sama.

as much as there is luck involved in shutter life, the old 40d's are more likely to fail and require replacement sooner. other than that, with the 50d you will get warranty. cosmetic condition, unless you are lucky to meet some joker who has been sitting on his camera for a long time......................... 50d is likely to be more presentable. it's a small thing, but it still matters.
    What about buying new compared to 2nd hand for 40D or 50D, then the warranty will not be a problem. Is this not worth it. Like you said there might be someone who has not used his camera much, low shutter count, but kept it in good condition.

What about buying new compared to 2nd hand for 40D or 50D, then the warranty will not be a problem. Is this not worth it. Like you said there might be someone who has not used his camera much, low shutter count, but kept it in good condition.
    don't think you can buy a 40d new... if you do they'd probably be at small shops that would be likely to charge you an uncompetitive price.

Some comparison between the two model can be found: http://tech.spotcoolstuff.com/photog...50d-canon-eos/

Even though 50D is a newer model, frankly speaking I don't recommend it as the ISO performance does put me off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12