Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tripods : Pan vs Ball Head

Default Re: Tripods : Pan vs Ball Head

Quote Originally Posted by kenny888 View Post
    hi,

actually we can just turn the whole machine head or whatever u call it, just above the ring (bottom) it can turn also and allows u to do panorama, just that it doenst have that so called stick that pan head usually have lol. but then again, there are also markings on the ring, and u turn the whole head, the whole big thingy which i call the machine head lol.

individual choice i guess.
    you need to try doing panoramic photography to get what ryan (giantcanopy) is talking about.

if your ballhead ain't level, you can turn 8000 years, your photos won't stitch nicely together.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    If you want to use that particular pan to do panaroma, you have to make sure that:

1. The ball head base/ tripod is level.
    2. Camera is also level.

With those 2 conditions satisfied, you can use the pan at the base of the ball head. I mean, if you want to do a proper pana.

Thing is, to strictly properly do pana, you need a pana bracket to make sure the center of the turning axis is at the sensor (on many models, you can see the marking for that on your camera if you look closely).
    nodal point, you mean:

http://archive.bigben.id.au/tutorial...oto/nodal.html

not necessarily at sensor, depends more on lens.

Quote Originally Posted by sid8888 View Post
    Im looking for a tripod for panorama shots. The shops recommended pan head as it allows you to pan easily by just rotating the head.
    However after further thought i felt the ball head might be a better choice, as I want something that is quick to set up with the least hassle.

For pan head, I would have to adjust to ensure the tripod is level so plane of rotation is level/horizontal. This would involve adjusting leg height etc until perfect. With a ball head, it doesnt matter that the tripod is not level, just adjust the head till camera is level will do

Am I right to say so?
    this is by far the best solution in the market now - http://www.gigapansystems.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    nodal point, you mean:

http://archive.bigben.id.au/tutorial...oto/nodal.html

not necessarily at sensor, depends more on lens.
    Yes. Thanks for the correction. There is a simple test to determine this distance.

Thanks guys for the answers...
    i think i will settle for ball head that can pan, while not perfect, it meets the basic criteria....
    Quick to set up, able to do panning.....

i think i will settle for ball head that can pan, while not perfect, it meets the basic criteria....
    ah good... got your answer and this thread kind of give me some consideration in getting a better head.

Might I suggest that you get a 3-way spirit level to go with the ballhead?

A very worthy low-cost investment imo.

you need to try doing panoramic photography to get what ryan (giantcanopy) is talking about.

if your ballhead ain't level, you can turn 8000 years, your photos won't stitch nicely together.
    hi, i've done it before, and i've no problem stiching my photos together, thats y i dont get what u mean. why wouldnt your ballhead not be level to the ground?

unless u r saying the ballhead doesnt have any water level meters attached to the piece of thingy above the ballhead.

even though it may not be 100% level after u mount ur camera on it, it'll onli be very slightly off from my experience. so u a bit kua zhang omg, 8000 years lol! just sharing my experience anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by kenny888 View Post
    hi, i've done it before, and i've no problem stiching my photos together, thats y i dont get what u mean. why wouldnt your ballhead not be level to the ground?

unless u r saying the ballhead doesnt have any water level meters attached to the piece of thingy above the ballhead.

even though it may not be 100% level after u mount ur camera on it, it'll onli be very slightly off from my experience. so u a bit kua zhang omg, 8000 years lol! just sharing my experience anyway.
    if you stitch WA photos together you'd notice that the inherent barrel distortion when you do that leads to loads of stitching errors.

of course, if you use something like a 50mm or a telephoto to stitch, yeah, you can do it any way you want and it would probably come out right due to lack of lens distortion.

for a more fail safe method it is better to make sure your legs are level first. i'm sure it's not that hard to visualise, if your legs are not level, even if you make sure every shot is level, all you resolve is vertical distortion. lens distortion stitching problems will be definitely very problematic.

i'd rather make sure that my efforts in trying to take the panorama are rewarded with the very least with a panorama that stitches well. if just try luck, you'd be very pissed if you had good light, a great composition for panorama, and it just doesn't stitch together nicely.

the trouble with pan heads is that they can be limiting for other things. such as... shooting vertically upwards. i still haven't figured out how to get my giottos to do that. i don't think it can allow for your camera to be pointing up into the sky. my other tripod with a ballhead allows for that.

using panheads to do vertical compositions can be a pain too.

okie.. tks for that info haa

using panheads to do vertical compositions can be a pain too.
    and hence the L-plate/bracket?

Anyways, am I right to say that the photos will stitch well so look as my camera itself is level for all the shots? It would be a real pain to level for each shot though...

I bought a "sirui" tripod from TK foto over the wkend...chose it over benro and manfrotto...
    quality is very good for the price ( lower than benro) ..... those newbies looking for a tripod should check it out....

Okay................

I bought a "sirui" tripod from TK foto over the wkend...chose it over benro and manfrotto...
    quality is very good for the price ( lower than benro) ..... those newbies looking for a tripod should check it out....
    now to remember to level the legs before start pano... learnt this trick from reading forum (especially Dream Merchant and night86mare). Without practise and guidance, sometimes very difficult to visualize what's happening. Have yet to try but got the idea in my head already

Btw I'm also using Sirui. Cheap, and good enough (cannot justify a tripod and/or head that cost more than my cam)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12