Thread: Pentax SMC M 50mm f1.2?

Default Pentax SMC M 50mm f1.2?

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a kx (film) from a forumer but he mentioned that it comes with a the M 50mm F1.2 lens. I've owned the f1.7 version but couldn't find any information on this f1.2 version. The only information I've gathered is the K f1.2 version.

Any old timers here especially Mr. friendly FW can advise here and provide any feedback here?

Thanks
    Body - K-x, KX, ME
    Lens - DAL18-55, DAL55-300, DA 35 Ltd, M 50 F1.7, A 50 F1.7, Sigma 10-20

Default Re: Pentax SMC M 50mm f1.2?

Quote Originally Posted by Brianskivvy View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a kx (film) from a forumer but he mentioned that it comes with a the M 50mm F1.2 lens. I've owned the f1.7 version but couldn't find any information on this f1.2 version. The only information I've gathered is the K f1.2 version.

Any old timers here especially Mr. friendly FW can advise here and provide any feedback here?

Thanks
    Don't think it's an M 1.2. Only K and A versions.

I think he means it's a M50/2. I bet you got confused by the 50 1:2 eh?
    Brand loyalty? Pffttt...| Got Flickr?
    I shoot JPEG (got a problem with that?)

Haha yes it is 50mm f2 , not f1.2

I already checked with him as 1.2 for that price (boguht a mx + 50mm f1.4 from him)

Normally on the old lenses they put f1:2 = f2 and f1:1.2 = f1.2
    Buy Film Not Megapixels

Thanks guys, I feel like a noobcake.

Anyway, I'm new to the 35mm film slr and I am wondering if there's any issue with loading up films if the film rewind lever does not voluntarily return back after film rewind.

As this is a cheap way to introduce me to film photography but I don't want to get stucked with a white elephant.
    Body - K-x, KX, ME

Thanks guys, I feel like a noobcake.

Anyway, I'm new to the 35mm film slr and I am wondering if there's any issue with loading up films if the film rewind lever does not voluntarily return back after film rewind.

As this is a cheap way to introduce me to film photography but I don't want to get stucked with a white elephant.
    I don't think it would be much of a problem , but it may be irritating.

But having a film camera can be fun ! Can "see,see" the inside as dont need to worry about dust ... I definetly learned alot about how the camera works just by "experimenting" with it.
    Yea im the hands kind of guys and can't resist opening up the camera
    Buy Film Not Megapixels

hey brian, for an old film slr, i think its good to send to a doctor for a check up aka CLA. If you think it's good to go, just try out with a cheap film first.
    Charlie Tan loves his SMC 大姑妈
    deviantART | flickr

My MX has a slow shutter at 1s exposure ...

can hear the timer slower than normal and when i timed it , it was about 1.3-1.7 secs...
    anyway it dosen't bother me that much as i hardly, if ever use 1 sec exposure ,even so can still bulb mode
    Buy Film Not Megapixels

When I say that you were going to get a old camera that came with a 50/1.2, I thought you picked up gold

Too bad its a mis-interpretation.

Hi guys,

Thanks
    Well, I guess you've got your answers by now

Kx is a very nice film camera, better built than M series (MX/ME/ME Super ...) and A series (SuperA/SuperProgram/ProgramA/Program Plus ...). Use wise it's almost exactly like the MX except Kx doesn't have interchangeable focusing screen, and it has a needle inside the viewfinder to indicate the exposure value (quite a few users prefer this than the LED lights in an MX).

Just like Charlie said above, if you find a good copy of the camera, make sure to get it CLAed by a reputable shop, so you'd enjoy using it for another 20 years

IF CLA how much is the cost roughly?
    My Flickr iownthislensthatlensthislensthatlens

Quote Originally Posted by eselite View Post
    hey brian, for an old film slr, i think its good to send to a doctor for a check up aka CLA. If you think it's good to go, just try out with a cheap film first.
    Hey thanks Charlie for the tips, what's CLA anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    When I say that you were going to get a old camera that came with a 50/1.2, I thought you picked up gold

Too bad its a mis-interpretation.
    Yeah man I also thought I won Toto

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    Well, I guess you've got your answers by now

Kx is a very nice film camera, better built than M series (MX/ME/ME Super ...) and A series (SuperA/SuperProgram/ProgramA/Program Plus ...). Use wise it's almost exactly like the MX except Kx doesn't have interchangeable focusing screen, and it has a needle inside the viewfinder to indicate the exposure value (quite a few users prefer this than the LED lights in an MX).

Just like Charlie said above, if you find a good copy of the camera, make sure to get it CLAed by a reputable shop, so you'd enjoy using it for another 20 years
    Thanks Frank for the review, any recommendation on shops which i can send for checkup?
    Body - K-x, KX, ME

CLA = Clean, Lube, Adjust

Quote Originally Posted by ricsal View Post
    IF CLA how much is the cost roughly?
    It'd cost around 100sgd or thereabout.

Thanks Frank for the review, any recommendation on shops which i can send for checkup?

I'd recommend the Camera Hospital: Sunshine Plaza #01-67, look for Steven.

I myself have cleaned quite a few manual cameras, replaced the light seals and mirror bumper foam. It's not too difficult, but quite tedious and laborious. I can't do lube or adjustment though.