Thread: HELP - When to use flash???

Default HELP - When to use flash???

I just bought an external flash and don't really know how and when to best use the thing:

1. what conditions for choosing the different modes - direct (in the face) flash, wide flash, bounce?
    2. whats the best way to use it for lets say: shooting models on a runway? or shooting my butterflies and insects?

Is there and online resource i can view that gives advise on this?

I have the F32x SONY flash...

Advise is greatly appreciated...!!!!

oh yah.. where to get an omni filter or a bounce card??? and when it the best time to use omni as compared to using a normal bounce?

Shall read with great interest.....

Quote Originally Posted by kjmedora
    I just bought an external flash and don't really know how and when to best use the thing:

1. what conditions for choosing the different modes - direct (in the face) flash, wide flash, bounce?
    2. whats the best way to use it for lets say: shooting models on a runway? or shooting my butterflies and insects?

Is there and online resource i can view that gives advise on this?

I have the F32x SONY flash...

Advise is greatly appreciated...!!!!
    When the lighting condition is bad, use flash. When the lighting condition is good, you can also use flash to make it better.

Omni bounce when the ceiling is low, so that you can bounce. Use your bounce card when the celing is high, or when there are no place to bounce. However, you can also use omni bounce directly at your subject.

You can get the omni bounce at Cathay Photo. As for the bounce/flash card, you can create it yourself. Do a search, I think there are several topics on this.

It's best that you try out the different conditions yourself, seeing is believing.
    Last edited by togu; 12th April 2004 at 09:15 PM.

So whats the difference between using the normal bouncing (wouldn't my flash crack if thrown off the ceiling - bad joke) and the omni filter cover thing?

So whats the difference between using the normal bouncing (wouldn't my flash crack if thrown off the ceiling - bad joke) and the omni filter cover thing?
    a bounce card is free, an omnibounce is not

Quote Originally Posted by HelmetBox
    a bounce card is free, an omnibounce is not

x 1,000

tigger
    Guests

Another FAQ tailored more to Nikon system:
    http://www.moose395.net/howto/flash.html

You bounce the flash on the ceiling to get a more even lighting on your subject (that's assuming that the ceiling enough and its white, otherwise it will give a cast equivalent to the ceilign colour or thereabouts)

The diffuser, you use that when you want to flash straight on but don't want the flash to be too harsh. You can also shoot the flash upwards to get an even soft lighting (my opinion)

You should just try shooting for yourself and figure it out.

best is you do a simple test yourself on
    - direct flash
    - flash bounce off the ceiling
    - flash bounce off the ceiling with bounce card
    - direct flash with omni-bounce
    - flash bounce off the ceiling with omni-bounce
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap