Thread: How much to charge for photos taken at a public event like fashion shows?

Default How much to charge for photos taken at a public event like fashion shows?

Is there any "market rate" for such service? I've gotten requests from various people over the years for pics taken during fashion shows but didn't know how to charge. I was shooting as a member of the public.

Some are studying fashion designs and want the pics for reference. There're others who just want to share with friends that can't make it for the show. How much could/should we charge?

Haven't had anyone who needs the pics for publishing but guess the rates would be significantly different. Any guidelines if the pics are meant for publishing?

hey man.

depends on how comfortable you are with the pricing.. can go from cost price to SGD$8.00 for 4R

Quote Originally Posted by SniperD
    hey man.

depends on how comfortable you are with the pricing.. can go from cost price to SGD$8.00 for 4R
    Thanks Sniper

hmm... how about digital prints given on CDs? I won't be giving full resolution... probably 1.5MP or 1MP pics (good enough for small prints).

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    Haven't had anyone who needs the pics for publishing but guess the rates would be significantly different. Any guidelines if the pics are meant for publishing?
    most publications have their in-house rates for buying photos for publication. it's up to you if you accept them or not. unless you're a really renowned photographer or your photos are very exclusive, then you can negotiate for higher rates.

it's just slightly cheaper. see how much you are comfortable with but remember about the copyright issue

Thanks Larry and Sniper. copyright is one issue that bugs me giving digital images.

maybe next time I'll do prints to be on the safer side.

since u are shooting as member of public, i guess u are not the only photographer there right? probably friends of those who can't make it to the show will bring a digicam to shoot also, quality wise may not be as good as yours, but not everyone (esp. student) will want to pay much for the photo when they can ask their friend to shoot using their own digicam.

I think give them hard copy (4R to 8R) will be better idea, harder for them to redistribute. May be u can upload a low res version (with big watermark) to your website for them to preview and place order. If they really like particular pic for publish, then give them a high resolution file in a CD and charge higher

yup, usually there're at least 10 more photographers around. dunno why they approach me.... maybe cos I don't look too amateurish or too pro (unlike the others with monopods/white lenses and such)

will give your ideas a shot next time

Hmm.. Wai's suggestion is quite optimal for your case Hard copy is easier to handle oso

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    yup, usually there're at least 10 more photographers around. dunno why they approach me.... maybe cos I don't look too amateurish or too pro (unlike the others with monopods/white lenses and such)

will give your ideas a shot next time

Wah.... earn side line liaoz lor......