Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 367891013 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 272

Thread: Review of Sony Alpha NEX-5

  1. #141

    Default Re: ClubSNAP Review by ed9119 - Sony Alpha NEX-5

    Ed, you bring up a good point on the lack of AEL and indeed the workaround as you mentioned:

    "6. The lack of AE Lock is irritating for an old school guy like myself....... although a half-press of shutter button will lock exposure reading..... and simultaneously locks focus. A workaround would be to use the EV +/- button located at the 6 o' clock position and instantly dial down/up exposure levels .... while using the histogram and LCD itself to manually gauge how the exposure is rendering a given scene"

    will work, and in a certain way train users to think more about exposure. But also leceh in a way cus its so much easier to spot meter, lock and recompose.

    Have you tried if when using C-AF, when you half press on a subject, does it lock the meter at that point or will the meter also vary since its in C-AF mode? That's another possible way to get around the lack of AEL, though also has a limitation cus you can't lock focus. Alternatively go manual focus all the way : P

  2. #142
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,929
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: ClubSNAP Review by ed9119 - Sony Alpha NEX-5

    Quote Originally Posted by Rurouni View Post

    Have you tried if when using C-AF, when you half press on a subject, does it lock the meter at that point or will the meter also vary since its in C-AF mode?
    Sorry have not used continuous AF ........ old school rely on DOF more than C-AF !!ha ha ha
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  3. #143
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: ClubSNAP Review by ed9119 - Sony Alpha NEX-5

    it is something like that OLY-PEN, however it is smaller and more features built in.

  4. #144

    Default Re: ClubSNAP Review - Sony Alpha NEX-5

    I'm new here. I wander why I can't see your photos, I obtain a deckal from Photobucket asking to Upgrade to Pro Today - Bandwith exceeded.
    Is any other way to enjoy your photos.

    Thanks.
    Adam

  5. #145

    Default Re: ClubSNAP Review - Sony Alpha NEX-5

    thats because his photobucket account has exceeded bandwidth..
    u cant do anything, only he can..

  6. #146
    Senior Member cichlid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    S'pore
    Posts
    5,060

    Default Re: ClubSNAP Review by ed9119 - Sony Alpha NEX-5

    Will the Nex be here by end June 2010?

  7. #147

    Default Re: ClubSNAP Review - Sony Alpha NEX-5

    What a pity.

    Adam

  8. #148

    Default Re: ClubSNAP Review by ed9119 - Sony Alpha NEX-5

    Quote Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
    Will the Nex be here by end June 2010?
    Maybe on June 11?

  9. #149

    Default Re: ClubSNAP Review by ed9119 - Sony Alpha NEX-5

    ahhaha.. hopefully it'lll be out on 11th june..

  10. #150

    Default Re: ClubSNAP Review by ed9119 - Sony Alpha NEX-5

    Quote Originally Posted by evolutioner View Post
    ahhaha.. hopefully it'lll be out on 11th june..
    That's the launch date...
    Alpha

  11. #151
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,929
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: ClubSNAP Review by ed9119 - Sony Alpha NEX-5

    oh wow did not realize there is a bandwidth issue with the images!!!!

    in Philippines now, will check to see how to sort it out next week when back
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  12. #152

    Default Re: ClubSNAP Review by ed9119 - Sony Alpha NEX-5

    Quote Originally Posted by Titan10k View Post
    Why would you want "more bokeh" in such a very wide lens anyway?
    err.. actually i don't need a wide..., need bokeh more. that's why i upgraded from a point n shoot. if the nex does not have bokeh for both the kit lens, it sure takes away the strong advantage of an APS-C sized sensor.

    I'd hold off until they have a lens with bokeh... not necessary to be wide..

  13. #153

    Default Re: ClubSNAP Review by ed9119 - Sony Alpha NEX-5

    Quote Originally Posted by wksoh View Post
    err.. actually i don't need a wide..., need bokeh more. that's why i upgraded from a point n shoot. if the nex does not have bokeh for both the kit lens, it sure takes away the strong advantage of an APS-C sized sensor.

    I'd hold off until they have a lens with bokeh... not necessary to be wide..
    All lenses have bokeh, except for pinhole lenses. After all, bokeh is the quality of the out of focus area. I'm guessing you are referring to the ability to blur the background?

    and yes, of course you can achieve out-of-focus backgrounds with the kit lens. It all comes down to the basics of photography, which you are obviously still lacking in. Set the kit lens to 55mm, largest aperture, and be close to your subject, while your subject is standing away from the background. Bingo, there you have it.

    Alpha

  14. #154

    Default Re: ClubSNAP Review by ed9119 - Sony Alpha NEX-5

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    All lenses have bokeh, except for pinhole lenses. After all, bokeh is the quality of the out of focus area. I'm guessing you are referring to the ability to blur the background?

    and yes, of course you can achieve out-of-focus backgrounds with the kit lens. It all comes down to the basics of photography, which you are obviously still lacking in. Set the kit lens to 55mm, largest aperture, and be close to your subject, while your subject is standing away from the background. Bingo, there you have it.

    err... thanks for the intended help.. I'm not looking for background blur in macro shots but rather in Portraits. ... I had a Ricoh film camera with f1.4 50mm prime 30 yrs ago (I was 12)....

    I'm searching for a system with more portrait bokeh than a Panasonic 20mm f1.7 - without going to SLR - as I'm trying to avoid the bulk after many years.

    The best background blur in a micro system was the Panasonic 20mm. But that system only has Head shots bokeh, not halfbody. I'm looking for small system that can provide half body bokeh portrait like a 50mm f1.8.

    The NX10 came closer and I was wondering if the Sony NEX lenses could provide half body bokeh with it's APS-C.
    Maybe, hopefully.. they'll come out with a 50mm f1.8... I look forward to that.
    Last edited by wksoh; 30th May 2010 at 07:36 PM.

  15. #155

    Default Re: ClubSNAP Review by ed9119 - Sony Alpha NEX-5

    Quote Originally Posted by wksoh View Post
    err... thanks for the intended help.. I'm not looking for background blur in macro shots but rather in Portraits. ... I had a Ricoh film camera with f1.4 50mm prime 30 yrs ago (I was 12)....

    I'm searching for a system with more portrait bokeh than a Panasonic 20mm f1.7 - without going to SLR - as I'm trying to avoid the bulk after many years.

    The best background blur in a micro system was the Panasonic 20mm. But that system only has Head shots bokeh, not halfbody. I'm looking for small system that can provide half body bokeh portrait like a 50mm f1.8.

    The NX10 came closer and I was wondering if the Sony NEX lenses could provide half body bokeh with it's APS-C.
    Maybe, hopefully.. they'll come out with a 50mm f1.8... I look forward to that.
    Good point, ignore the troll rashki.

  16. #156

    Default Re: ClubSNAP Review by ed9119 - Sony Alpha NEX-5

    Quote Originally Posted by wksoh View Post
    err.. actually i don't need a wide..., need bokeh more. that's why i upgraded from a point n shoot. if the nex does not have bokeh for both the kit lens, it sure takes away the strong advantage of an APS-C sized sensor.

    I'd hold off until they have a lens with bokeh... not necessary to be wide..
    any lens can have lens blur, even at f/8. have you tried using a lens at 200mm or 300mm before?

    understanding how to achieve lens blur is important, not just the equipment. granted, a 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 will make it easier to achieve your "bokeh", but that doesn't mean that a standard kit lens cannot attain portraits with background thrown out of focus. same applies for a slow lens.

    all you have to do is make sure that the background is far away, while the subject is comparatively near. there are 3 ways to throw background out of focus, fast lenses with large maximum apertures is but one way.

    if you buy the nex-5 with 18-200, confirm plus chop you can produce half-body bokeh. don't believe, just buy first, if cannot i show you how.
    Last edited by night86mare; 30th May 2010 at 07:53 PM.

  17. #157

    Default Re: ClubSNAP Review by ed9119 - Sony Alpha NEX-5

    Quote Originally Posted by tarandip View Post
    Good point, ignore the troll rashki.
    i don't see how he is trolling, he is making a true statement that you can achieve OOF portraits with kit lenses, and emphasizing the point by showing a non-portrait case.

    are you saying that if i say that you can stop down to f/8-f/11 to maximize dof in a landscape photograph, i have to show this example in a landscape photograph? i'm sure people are not that literal..... but then again, sometimes they surprise me.

    there is a huge difference between saying that a lens cannot attain oof background in portraits, and saying that it is harder.

  18. #158

    Default Re: ClubSNAP Review by ed9119 - Sony Alpha NEX-5

    Quote Originally Posted by wksoh View Post
    err... thanks for the intended help.. I'm not looking for background blur in macro shots but rather in Portraits. ... I had a Ricoh film camera with f1.4 50mm prime 30 yrs ago (I was 12)....

    I'm searching for a system with more portrait bokeh than a Panasonic 20mm f1.7 - without going to SLR - as I'm trying to avoid the bulk after many years.

    The best background blur in a micro system was the Panasonic 20mm. But that system only has Head shots bokeh, not halfbody. I'm looking for small system that can provide half body bokeh portrait like a 50mm f1.8.

    The NX10 came closer and I was wondering if the Sony NEX lenses could provide half body bokeh with it's APS-C.
    Maybe, hopefully.. they'll come out with a 50mm f1.8... I look forward to that.
    If you want to do portraiture then you should ignore those wide angle lenses in the first place. The kit lens 18-55/4.5~5.6 would be even better than the 16/2.8 in this respect.

    A cheap 50/1.8 is ideal, but there's no saying when it'll be released.

  19. #159

    Default Re: ClubSNAP Review by ed9119 - Sony Alpha NEX-5

    Quote Originally Posted by Titan10k View Post
    If you want to do portraiture then you should ignore those wide angle lenses in the first place. The kit lens 18-55/4.5~5.6 would be even better than the 16/2.8 in this respect.

    A cheap 50/1.8 is ideal, but there's no saying when it'll be released.
    Thank you for understanding what I need..

  20. #160

    Default Re: ClubSNAP Review by ed9119 - Sony Alpha NEX-5

    Quote Originally Posted by wksoh View Post
    err... thanks for the intended help.. I'm not looking for background blur in macro shots but rather in Portraits. ... I had a Ricoh film camera with f1.4 50mm prime 30 yrs ago (I was 12)....

    I'm searching for a system with more portrait bokeh than a Panasonic 20mm f1.7 - without going to SLR - as I'm trying to avoid the bulk after many years.

    The best background blur in a micro system was the Panasonic 20mm. But that system only has Head shots bokeh, not halfbody. I'm looking for small system that can provide half body bokeh portrait like a 50mm f1.8.

    The NX10 came closer and I was wondering if the Sony NEX lenses could provide half body bokeh with it's APS-C.
    Maybe, hopefully.. they'll come out with a 50mm f1.8... I look forward to that.
    i know what u mean. I juz ditch my m4/3 & jump to nex most probably.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 367891013 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •