550D if you want full HD videos.
    Grip too small for males.
    higher mega-pixels.
    high resolution screen

D90 is an all-rounder camera.
    better grip. lack of full HD video
    faster fps.
    better kit lens.

I think you should also look at each manufacturer's lens line up for crop bodies too.
    Cheers. have fun shooting.
    You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Default Re: D90 or 550D

Quote Originally Posted by tousan View Post
    Seems like every few days a debate like this comes up... anyways, there are two reviews here:

http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/...ikon-D90.shtml

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca...ise_JPEG.shtml

i think it just boils down to personal preference.

Some of the pros & cons from the above websites, as to which of the pros/cons matter more, it really depends more on individual style / prefs:

Pros for 550D: megapixel count, HD video, etc ... with the $200 you save, you can buy a CPL, a 50mm f/1.8, a nice camera bag, spare batt + remote, OR a nice tripod... LOL

Pros for D90: top LCD, better low-noise performance, better burst rate, 2 dials for changing settings vs 1 on 550D (i assume you'll only need this if you are using manual), 11AF pts vs 9, better battery life, etc...
    Last edited by nathaniel; 20th May 2010 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Junye View Post
    550D if you want full HD videos.
    Grip too small for males.
    higher mega-pixels.
    high resolution screen

D90 is an all-rounder camera.
    better grip. lack of full HD video
    faster fps.
    better kit lens.

I think you should also look at each manufacturer's lens line up for crop bodies too.
    Cheers. have fun shooting.
    actually manufacturer's lens line up is pretty important too... more so if your lenses are eventually going to cost more than your body.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducky88 View Post
    i personally think that d90 is good. but it came out last yr & i heard new model coming out. As for canon 550d is a new model & if thinking abt reselling tis 2 550d is much a gd price.
    And Canon releases a new camera model almost once a year. So how do you think that will affect your camera resale price? (450D announced Jan 08. 500D announced Mar 09. 550D announced Feb 10). So, if you buy 550D, by Feb-Mar next year, you can expect the replacement to be announced, and the price will drop as well.

Nikon D70 was announced Jan 04, D80 announced Aug 06, D90 announced Aug 08. So Nikon releases a DXX model every 2 years. Compare to Canon XXXD at a new model each year. So now, what are you going to do?? how how how?

All I can say is, buy early, shoot early. buy later, shoot later. You can buy everything with money but not time.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 20th May 2010 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    You are the one using the camera,not us.As usual,Canon users will say 550D good and Nikon users will say D90 good.

Its your choice...
    I say, look at SONY Alpha or pentax that have the anti-shake inbuilt on it camera body, as such your lenese upgrade will not cost you a bomb.

Check it out......

Good Luck
    Enjoy your every moment with our nature and friends

Quote Originally Posted by ducky88 View Post
    i personally think that d90 is good. but it came out last yr & i heard new model coming out. As for canon 550d is a new model & if thinking abt reselling tis 2 550d is much a gd price.
    Not that fair to compare D90 with 550D. You may take D5000 to compare with 550D, more appropriate since both cameras are low midrange (doesn't mean you can't take good photos). Not talking about the camera specs which most cameras can take well photos, it's no doubt all depends on practices.

I've been through the same thing you had in mind before, likewise many other CSers had similar experiences for start.

Here's my story. I was thinking to get Nikon D90 first, tired at CP, "Oh nice feeling." Then Canon 550D arrived at IT Show and I play around once. I end up buy Canon 550D after 2nd trial at CP. After few events of shoot, I found the viewfinder/grip too small for me, end up sold 550D away. I waited 2 weeks then finally got my camera. I came from Canon to Nikon because of many other reasons which I will not go into it.

The chase of better and faster dSLR are always never ends. When do you want to start?

Advise is you could test out both cameras at least 2 different times and places (if time permits you). You could pick a shop to go visit first, have a feel and shoot. The personal handling feel is very important especially your hands how big and small it is we can't tell for sure you would like the grip or not.

i've tried both cams, d90 felt just right, and the 2 command dials + top lcd are a godsend.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by stanycjw View Post
    I say, look at SONY Alpha or pentax that have the anti-shake inbuilt on it camera body, as such your lenese upgrade will not cost you a bomb.

Check it out......

Good Luck
    Did you type wrongly?I'm not the TS leh

P.S I'm using Pentax and lens spelt wrongly already...

go to shops and try if they are comfortable to ur hands.
    for me, having a top lcd to view settings is a big bonus as well

ryan

Go down to the shops to try especially if u are a girl or guy w/ small hands..

Most of the cameras mounted w/ short lens are manageable.
    Therefore ask the shop owner let u try the two camera fitted w/ a flash unit + mount a relatively heavy lens like 70-200mm f2.8 zoom

In the end chose according to your preference..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12