Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 50mm f1.4 vs 85mm f1.8

Default Re: 50mm f1.4 vs 85mm f1.8

Some examples of 50mm and 85mm.

50mm f2 @f2

Bkgnd about 1m from subject
    Note also that this is a head shot

85mm f2 @f2

The OOF background was just the sofa (so maybe 30cm from subject)
    A chest to head shot

85mm f1.4 @f1.4

Bkgnd about 1m from subject

A fast 50 or 85mm are both capable lenses for what you want.

actually thinking about it, the 50 1.4s bokeh got abit of "character" - alil harsh but defined and its quite nice if you're not too fussy,

taken with 50 1.4 wide open

--

and this one was with 85 1.8 at f4.0

--

I really think you should just try both lenses. Get a feel of it and ultimately you'll be able to decide.

Cheers!
    It's all about the moments; and the moments in between. 8 Perpetual || Flickr

Does that mean that 135mm on a crop sensor is almost impossible to use indoor due to space constrain?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPa1adin View Post
    Does that mean that 135mm on a crop sensor is almost impossible to use indoor due to space constrain?
    Yes. I really wouldn't recommend it IF you are using it indoors. Unless like indoor stadium? On crop sensor, 85mm already hard to use inside restaurants, 135mm will be even harder
    It's all about the moments; and the moments in between. 8 Perpetual || Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPa1adin View Post
    No, it depends on the space you have. I have used 135mm indoor and it worked nicely for headshots.
    EOS

I own an 85mm and brought it along for a house-warming. Have to practically stand at the corner of the living room just to capture more than a headshot. I probably think a 50mm is more versatile in tight areas. However, the 85mm is great for outdoors! At least you won't be that intrusive.

Quote Originally Posted by blazingsun View Post
    I own an 85mm and brought it along for a house-warming. Have to practically stand at the corner of the living room just to capture more than a headshot. I probably think a 50mm is more versatile in tight areas. However, the 85mm is great for outdoors! At least you won't be that intrusive.
    hahaha.. i can totally understand this. I once used 50mm to shoot indoor, and I already hard a hard time running around to find space to shoot. Such a pain!

I hope they have more affordable 30mm or 35mm lens. L is too exp. Other than L, those shorter than 50mm not nice

Quote Originally Posted by vlg134 View Post
    I hope they have more affordable 30mm or 35mm lens. L is too exp. Other than L, those shorter than 50mm not nice
    This is somewhat contradicting. First you ask for lenses of 30 or 35mm, then you say "not nice" - anyway, there are nice lenses shorter than 35mm and without red L. What do you find "not nice" about them?
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lam CK View Post
    which one will u buy for portrait shots? Will the f1.4 really makes much diff compared to 1.8?
    depends on what you mean by difference

I have both 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.8.
    They are both very very good lenses.
    Both of these lenses can produce great bokeh at their widest apertures.

But if i have to choose, Id say 50mm has a slight edge over 85mm.
    First of all, the f/1.4 is a very important factor when shooting in low light.
    And secondly, it has a wider range, which allows it to perform better in tight spaces.

But when joining group shoots, I tend to use 85mm a little more, because of its range, and its narrower. Which also makes the subject looks "slightly" slimmer compared to 50mm.

my 2 cents
    My Gallery at DeviantART http://waiaung.deviantart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    This is somewhat contradicting. First you ask for lenses of 30 or 35mm, then you say "not nice" - anyway, there are nice lenses shorter than 35mm and without red L. What do you find "not nice" about them?
    I tried a 35mmf2 quite some times ago (I did not remember until just now when my fren reminded me...). The IQ was so bad that I had to switch to my tamron. My fren also never used that lens. She got a 85mm1.8.

erm, why contradicting?? I want a short length prime, but find 30 or 35 non L not nice :P. haha...

I'm using d300 n I own both 50 & 85mm primes. When doing AD wedding shoot say in a house I use most 30 & 50mm for those candid shots. 85mm is really to tight n it's pretty hard to compose. But it doesn't I can get a decent pix. It's limited i would say. However, churches, ballroom had no issue using the 85mm as it works magically well for those candids. Jus sharing...

Quote Originally Posted by reconn View Post
    I'm using d300 n I own both 50 & 85mm primes. When doing AD wedding shoot say in a house I use most 30 & 50mm for those candid shots. 85mm is really to tight n it's pretty hard to compose. But it doesn't I can get a decent pix. It's limited i would say. However, churches, ballroom had no issue using the 85mm as it works magically well for those candids. Jus sharing...
    thanks for sharing . You use Nikon prime or Sigma?? quite tempting until i read the review here:
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

back n front focusing issue. hahaa...this is the problem that lost of CS-ers already mentioned..
    Last edited by vlg134; 26th May 2010 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vlg134 View Post
    thanks for sharing . You use Nikon prime or Sigma?? quite tempting until i read the review here:
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

back n front focusing issue. hahaa...this is the problem that lost of CS-ers already mentioned..
    both 50&85mm are from nikon bro. However both are f1.4.

If you'll be using crop body then 50mm f/1.4.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by reconn View Post
    both 50&85mm are from nikon bro. However both are f1.4.
    thanks . you are so helpful...

btw, not Bro. zzzz. Why ppl always call me Bro . yest someone even said, ladies should just get a compact

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12