Thread: Strive to Achieve

Default Strive to Achieve

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition & Contrast
    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

To shows the Helicopter is striving to achieve its mission despite bad weather conditions

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    6 pm in the evening with a cloudy sky

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    i was trying to make the helicopter bigger by cropping, but i want to keep the clouds in to have the bad weather/ overcast feel. C&C please

Canon 60D | And Legs as Lens to cover every single focal length i ever needs.

Default Re: Strive to Achieve

no one can help me....

You must have spent much effort on this. The composition is unique.

But sometimes black and white will only flush out the "feel".
    I trying to say that the "feel" is not there.

The guidelines for critique states : ".....Please take note that any comments not related to or not contributing to the critique of the pictures will be removed without notice....That includes oneliners like 'nice', 'good' etc...."

But can all artworks be critiqued technically? Sometimes, it's a feeling that cannot be described in words.

To shows the Helicopter is striving to achieve its mission despite bad weather conditions
    sorry but the picture just doesn't tell the story right for me but it's a decent picture. a tighter crop might be preferred, too much of the dark spaces in the cloud without detail looks more like a vignette than a dramatic sky.

2cents from an amateur.

drew
    Canon 500D, 15-85mm IS USM, Nifty Fifty.

Shutter speed must have been very high to stop the rotating blades. Perhaps using a slower shutter, the blades could have been more blurred, thus giving a feeling of motion in the photo? Too much dark clouds that besides looking nice for you, don't really add to the photo, so like someone already suggested, a tighter crop might help.

thanks for sharing your photo.

Quote Originally Posted by 2evans View Post
    Shutter speed must have been very high to stop the rotating blades. Perhaps using a slower shutter, the blades could have been more blurred, thus giving a feeling of motion in the photo? Too much dark clouds that besides looking nice for you, don't really add to the photo, so like someone already suggested, a tighter crop might help.

thanks for sharing your photo.
    I agree that a slower shutter speed to blur the blades would have been better, as it conveys a feeling of motion. As it is, seems like the helicopter is "hanging" stationary in the sky...
    Personally i love clouds, taking pics of clouds...was wondering if it was possible to increase the iso/exposure to capture some details of the clouds?

Why does everybody like to do B&W? In fact, I think a color one will be better. Else I think good effort.

Here's what i would do:

Since helicopter is a silhouette, magic wand it out, transform it larger, use a light eraser and 'erase' some of the clouds back in, flatten it, apply a motion or radial blur, give it some noise to camouflage the DI and probably you get a black hawk downish image?

thanks for all the comments, i think i can try to crop the picture a little smaller and then add some details to the blades and set it into motion~!

Quote Originally Posted by cityhunter66 View Post
    I agree that a slower shutter speed to blur the blades would have been better, as it conveys a feeling of motion. As it is, seems like the helicopter is "hanging" stationary in the sky...
    Personally i love clouds, taking pics of clouds...was wondering if it was possible to increase the iso/exposure to capture some details of the clouds?
    Seems like a good idea to capture more details, will take note the next time! the helicopters are over head my block at times.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierShoot View Post
    Seems like a good idea to capture more details, will take note the next time! the helicopters are over head my block at times.
    You stay near air base?

Quote Originally Posted by cityhunter66 View Post
    You stay near air base?
    the helicopter fly over my house everytime de