Thread: dreams coem true ;-)

Smile dreams coem true ;-)

sunday, 11th april AD2004, @1603 hrs on my trusty wristwatch. it felt so real. yet at the same time it felt so unreal. oh yeah...my head was spinning. my body was a total numb. my triceps were aching. my heart was still pumping. my thoughts were flying all over the place.

fortunately i regained my vision. yes, i was stil alive and kicking. i looked at the sky. i looked left, right. can't be , but... it is! its real! it happened!
    i raised my arms in victory...tears almost flowed down my cheeks. i was the happiest man alive. for that moment. and that moment seemed to linger on...for eternity.

i had just did the unthinkable

i had sucessfully completed the longest nonstop uninterrupted swim ever in my whole 25 years of existence in this world. i had lived one of my wildest dreams...

i had done it.

I JUST COMPLETED A 3.8KM IRONMAN DISTANCE EQUIVALENT SWIM!!!!! ;-)

i started off with a total body warmup, carefully taking note of the more critical areas like triceps and thighs. the pool was clear. no one else at all. great, i thought, so today i own all the lanes =). as usual, i positioned myself between lane 4 n 5. i did a quick mental imagery playback. today the weather is good. everythigns seemed as planned. blew a few bubbles, bobbed about the water a bit. then it was time. adjusted my swim cap, put my goggles in place. raring to go, dude. this is it, man. its now or never. everythigns's set, just the whistle. just do it. just do a good one, ok? yeah. ok. i will. slow n easy. no panicking, mental imagery all the way, give your best strokes, relax, follow thru, mind, body, water, all as one. yeah baby.

GO!!!

[one lap = one pool length =50m]

lap 1 ~ 5: it was slow n easy. everythign felt smooth. everything went as planned. plain sailing. right arm in, extend, blow bubble, body tilt, glide, then left, head position, inhale, glide, right arm in...good. no swimmer collisions. no children swim class distractions. but no bikini babes either...lolz! =)

lap 6 ~ 10: pretty, good, slow n easy, optimal form, no sign of any body part aching. maintain, dude. maintain.

lap 10 ~ 20: still pretty much ok.

lap 20 ~ 30: i began to pick up a little of speed. experience shows that from lap 25++ till lap 40++ its this region where you feel the best. the best as in in terms of stroking, breathing, balance, mental imagery, everything. this is the point which corresponds to completing an olympic triathlon swim. (1.5km) so an increase in speed actually psychs you up =)

lap 30 ~ 40: this is the point where u r in the stage of completign a half-ironman triathlon swim. (2km) i still maintained the previously slight increase in speed. still going strong. halfway point, dude. think of your mom, gf, family, friends, non believers of swimming, all waitign 4 u @ the finish point.

lap 40 ~ 50: now..i had to slow down a little. coz its more than 26 laps more to go...at this zone, there is a danger of "hitting the wall" and subsequently burning out. coincidentally, i started to feel a bit hungry. my freestyle form was still relatively ok..still now getting ragged yet. slow, steady...

lap 50 ~ 60: pushign on to the 3km mark. now the hunger became more significant..darn..i should have eaten that extre slice of bread during breakfast. naver mind..maintain, dont panic. now this is the "surreal" zone: at the same time when your stroke starts to gett ragged, if u "adjust" slightly, it actually gets into optimal form. i guess its due to the changes in physiological stuff going on between your mind n body after such a physical activity. truly, its the point where u start gettign weird thoughts like...will i drown? why r those people staring at me? what the hell am i doing in the water? since when did i start to like the sensation of pain ? did i pay my bills? oh uh..is that my left arm starting to ache? where's that bikini babe? am i doing the right thing? whats the point of swimming 3km when u got better thigns to do..like..um..donate to nkf?...no way! focus! wake up! but..my strokes are starting to get numb...

lap 60 ~ 70: this is the dreaded "numb zone": your body behaves independently of your mind, it just goes on, automatically, stroke after stroke, breath after breath...at this point, the thought of quiting is real. body achign gets more pronounced. coem on man, u crosed the 3km mark..just go go go...i cant...no, just go..maintain...i played the <waterboys> song louder in my head.. at lap 66, i was at the worst "numb point"...push..lap 67..68..give up..go home & enjoy hot milo.no!! push! lap 69...just a bit more..lap 70!! already 3.5km!! thats it!! go go go...

lap 70 ~ 73: this is it. there's no turning back. just a few more laps..u can do it. deep down, i always knew u could do it some day. yeah. i knew. this the day. gradually, the numb spell wore off. arms aching? who cares...this is the critical zone..no errors man..maintain your stroke...paly the waterboys song! loud n clear! yeehaw!

lap 74: u know... its just 2 more laps. cant believe it, huh?

lap 75: well..yeah..everythign starts to get clear now...mond, body, water..all as one all again. dude, didnt know u can coem this far

lap 76: now the waterboys song was at its loudest. my mental imagery was at its most vivid. my strokes were...well, all time best. i was in heaven. it was like gliding thru the clouds. i coming home, folks. i;m already here. a few more meters to the end of this extraordinary journey. lets finish it, dude.
    just.....do it!!!!!

and...yeah. the rest is history ;-)

happy for you.

omg! that is insane!
    congrats clive!

Default When you perceive you can do it, you CAN!

Congrats on your achievement!

you are nuts...... maybe you can start now with an achor tied to your back... congrats on your achievement!!!

I am happy for u clive.. but hey.. dun u stop there my friend.. once u have achieved something u set for urself..its time to move on.. i believe u will be able to achieve greater heights...and hey.. WATERBOY rulez!!! hahaha~~

ps: thanks for the cd...enjoying the songs very much..then again.. when it comes to sunday nitez.. it seems just so empty.. so.. u managed to find the vcd yetz??

congrats you scary person

thats why i dun go when he chio me for swimming....
    i think i will be very pressured

hehe! thnx all for the encouragement ;-) actually now the initial high n joy has worn away somewhat..now in the post activity recovery phase. still doing some more post workout stretching, drinking supplements, now listening to other songs...but come think of it, this stunt is actually 1 n a half month too early. i mean, it like this is akin to soem kind of overtraining. coz now my sunday swims peak @ at most 2.5km...originally had planend to go thru phase by phase progressively but hehe i guess once the wether is good, it can make one change plans =)

zek, dun worry...u r more stout n muscular n wellbuilt than me...i think if we go swim 2gether then the bikini babes will only look @ u..so theres no pressure actually, u know but relak lah we can tailor the sunday swims into different sessions one, ranging from 500m "suntan" to 1km "easy" to 1.5km "steady" to 2km "relaxed" to 2.5km "slow" to 3km "performance"...can choose which one u like one ;-)

Woah!!!!
    I was painting the mental picture of what you felt and thought of while reading your 'laps' man. Now I really feel like hitting the water
    I agree, when your body goes into 'cruise' mode your mind starts to wonder.
    Truly one of the Greatest feeling in the world!!
    Go Go Go!!!

clive you're freaking nuts.

you ought to have had a certificate or something for that.

anyway i'd probably take like 12 hours to swim 3.8 km or something
    haha

so when is the competition??? are you going to take part in one???

hehe..actual ironman is too shiong for me at this point in time now...still got the bike n run to take care of. but if really going to take part in ironman then i really got to train dedicatedly for the next 6,7,8 years...just now is only pool sensation of what 3.8km feels like...havent go to the actual openwater yet =) but for now, after i buy my bike n helmet n stuff after when i come back from jp in this june, then can spend the following few months to train for olympic dist tri. either end of this year or starting of next year they may have one.