Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canon vs Nikon

Quote Originally Posted by gadrian
    Dont really agree on the 28-135.. I have found the image quality of the 28-135 IS USM to be soft and rather flat.. as compared to say Nikon 28-105.. And note.. I have both lenses.. and have used both lenses..
    have read it was quite sharp. perhaps copies differ (QA ). the EF 28-105 is supposed to be quite good too.

Ready to go everytime.. hmm you obviously have not done a test of the ready to go right next with a D70 and 300D.. or a D100 with a 10D - 3s startup time for the 300D.. during which time.. the D70 would have already fired of.. 9-11 frames.. and the sleep mode of the 300D.. approx 1.5-2 sec to wake up.. hmm compared to the ~ instantaneous on the D70..
    it may not be that very important for most cos cameras are generally carried in bags, sometimes with no lens attached. it does come in handy though when you have the camera in hand, sleeping or switched off.
    Last edited by mpenza; 12th April 2004 at 10:14 AM.

Ready to go everytime.. hmm you obviously have not done a test of the ready to go right next with a D70 and 300D.. or a D100 with a 10D - 3s startup time for the 300D.. during which time.. the D70 would have already fired of.. 9-11 frames.. and the sleep mode of the 300D.. approx 1.5-2 sec to wake up.. hmm compared to the ~ instantaneous on the D70..
    Hi gadrian,

This is dependant on the practices of the photographers. Limitations of a camera such as these can be easily overcome by adopting certain practices when you use the camera. IMO, it wouldn't be a big factor in my decision to buy a camera.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    yup, the instantaneous on is useful. it may not be that very important for most cos cameras are generally carried in bags, sometimes with no lens attached.
    Heh, for some others, the camera is always slung on the shoulder with lens attached, hood on and lens caps off and camera in an always on condition. Again for those, its not very important.

Quote Originally Posted by nightpiper
    yep, must admit i have not touch the 300D nor the D70 thats why my statement didn't mention these 2. anyway D70 is so new & 300D is already 1 year old, so not very fair to compare, rite? but i must say the reviews r all raving abt this D70. u kind enuf to let me have a hands on, on your D70?
    300D is about 8 months old.. on the shelves for about 5months.. D70 is about 4 months old.. on the shelves for 2 months already.. not that far apart..

Sure come down to spinelli's.. sure one of the D70 users will be glad to let you have a feel.. Today will be good.. several D70 users will be there.. I personally dont own one.. but will definitely let you play with my D100 is you want..

Quote Originally Posted by UY79
    Hi gadrian,

This is dependant on the practices of the photographers. Limitations of a camera such as these can be easily overcome by adopting certain practices when you use the camera. IMO, it wouldn't be a big factor in my decision to buy a camera.

Cheers!
    Well maybe not for you.. but it is a gripe among many C users..

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    to avoid confusion, it would be good to just state what you know and if you're not sure but really want to make the point, just say "I think". It doesn't help much if more than half of the discussions are corrections of each other's posts

And people need to read my signature too.

Well maybe not for you.. but it is a gripe among many C users..
    Hi,

Are you sure?! Seems like you are casting a bad light on them.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by AJ23
    Probably OT, but,

SHOOT MORE, COMPARE LESS, TALK LESS, LET THE OUTPUT DO THE TALKING.

Not trying to detract from the main discussion, but somehow I feel that all these "x brand vs y brand" equipment talk almost always eventually degenerates into mud-slinging and flames. One should respect other ppl's choices of brands and not ridicule or put down the other rival brands' products. Ok, so I'm a Canon user, but I have great respect for the Nikon name, and I don't go around dissing their products. It just doesn't make sense. Why do it? It almost smacks of an elitist attitude, which is like "My brand is the best of the best, others can't compare". Choose the brand u feel works the best for you and stick with it, be happy with it, and as AJ23 said, shoot more, compare less, and let the pictures do the talking.

Peace...

Quote Originally Posted by UY79
    Hi,

Are you sure?! Seems like you are casting a bad light on them.

Cheers!
    Ehh.. dont get me wrong.. even I gripe about some short comings about Nikon cameras.. but that is in no way casting a bad light on me as a person or photographer..

Griping about the inefficiencies of you equipment is nothing new.. one gripe that D100 users have when using the D70 is.. where is that bloody socket for threading in the manual cable release.. this are gripes..

So I hope you dont think I am saying casting a bad light on Canon users.. we all have gripes.

Quote Originally Posted by GARION
    Not trying to detract from the main discussion, but somehow I feel that all these "x brand vs y brand" equipment talk almost always eventually degenerates into mud-slinging and flames. One should respect other ppl's choices of brands and not ridicule or put down the other rival brands' products. Ok, so I'm a Canon user, but I have great respect for the Nikon name, and I don't go around dissing their products. It just doesn't make sense. Why do it? It almost smacks of an elitist attitude, which is like "My brand is the best of the best, others can't compare". Choose the brand u feel works the best for you and stick with it, be happy with it, and as AJ23 said, shoot more, compare less, and let the pictures do the talking.

Peace...
    Not if we all maintain objectivity of the Topic, and leave personal ego and biasness aside..

Not if we all maintain objectivity of the Topic, and leave personal ego and biasness aside..
    Hi,

Cheers!

yep, must admit i have not touch the 300D nor the D70 thats why my statement didn't mention these 2. anyway D70 is so new & 300D is already 1 year old, so not very fair to compare, rite? but i must say the reviews r all raving abt this D70. u kind enuf to let me have a hands on, on your D70?
    300D - Announced on 20 Aug 2003, released in Sept 2003, 8 months since announcement, 7 months old since release.
    D70 - Announced on 28 Jan 2004, released in Mar 2004, <3 months since announcement, 1.5 months old since release

5 mths diff in announcement, 6 mths in release date. Dates came from DPReview.

In the context of high tech products, the difference is miniscule. 300D is hardly 1 year old at all.

How about this:

Nikon's operation is faster in terms of write to CF, startup, shutter lag (when in focus), long battery life. Lots of backward compatibility with old/older lenses, fewer new high-tech lenses but usually very good lenses that cover the most commonly used focal length (less headache in choosing... ). Constant FLM across all DSLR bodies, custom curve to alter the response of the input...

Canon: Larger number of users and thus 2nd market and support, lots of new technology in their cameras, fast revision, very aggressive in their products.
    Last edited by Watcher; 12th April 2004 at 12:09 PM.

may I ask about the backward compatibility, how backward compatible? fully AF in all modes or limited? if one wants to talk about limited compatibility - then the canon system with adapters (FD-EOS, M42-EOS, Fmount-EOS etc) allows manual focus etc.

so for people upgrading from film to the latest nikon camera, are all their lenses going to work fully AF with aperture control etc?

for new players to DSLR, it doesn't even come into the equation since they have no lenses to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher
    How about this:

Nikon's operation is faster in terms of write to CF, startup, shutter lag (when in focus), long battery life. Lots of backward compatibility with old/older lenses, fewer new high-tech lenses but usually very good lenses that cover the most commonly used focal length (less headache in choosing... ). Constant FLM across all DSLR bodies,

Canon: Larger number of users and thus 2nd market and support, lots of new technology in their cameras, fast revision, very aggressive in their products.
    Thanks Watcher for getting objective and putting a STOP to the sparks which might have started a Fire!

Frankly, I initially thought I would be lucky if I managed to get 1 or 2 advises before flames started.
    Now it's in its 3rd page already.
    It's a Miracle!
    haha

Neway I totally agree that we should just talk less and shoot more.
    However I feel that most of us, especially when we've been with one system for a while, have no idea or even worse, has an untrue idea of the other system.

Newbies get it the hardest too.
    As in my case, I had no idea why I bought Canon when I bought it 9 months ago.
    Ppl kept giving me specs like which is faster, lighter, better.... which is of coz impt info too.
    So I just flipped a coin. coz the info I got bout both systems didnt' really help me at all!

However what is not written in the specs page of any camera system is the experience of those who had used their system long enough to know the Ups and Downs of their system.
    And even though each person's experience is unique for them, I believe that a lot of us are interested in hearing what these and learning from what they like/dislike about their system.

Having said that, this thread is NOT for everyone.
    And so I plead with those who have a burning urge to counter another's post to tahan from typing any more comments.

Pls spare a thought for those who really want to share and learn about each other's system!

Love and Peace guys.

- Bob
    Last edited by bobotto; 12th April 2004 at 12:28 PM.

no one can really be told what a nikon or canon really is, u got to use it for yourself. personally, i wud want to know what a leica really is. LOL!

no one can really be told what a nikon or canon really is, u got to use it for yourself. personally, i wud want to know what a leica really is. LOL!
    Yeah, agreed, the only way to really get to know how a system is like is to "hands on" with one, i.e. borrow one from a friend to play around with. Preferably including the requisite lenses and various accessories. Provide your friend doesn't mind lar.

i switched from pentax(good stuff but in singapore tis terribel as you cant get a lot of things for it, not even a cable for the flash). to nikon some 6-7 years ago, back then when deciding on canon or nikon, i ended with nikon cos the construction is superb as compared to canon.

when ppl ask me now, i would recommend canon cos after all these years i realsie it takes a very very very 'rough' person to destroy a camera. the F80 and eos 5 ETC all are plastic stuff. yet i can tell you you have tro realy abuse it to spoil it and canon stuff are more affordable for the same thing you get from nikon.so its cheaper to build a canon system.

then in the cos of sellnig some of my nikon stuff, i oftern come across canon converts. ppl who tells me that canon is a marketing company...come up with new product but only little difference...etc.also some who went from nikon to canon then back to nikon again.

i can only see that nikon is definitely chasing canon, going AFS and G lens etc. something that canon have done long ago.

yet i still love my nikon. although i dont abuse my equiptment i enjoy the sturdy feel of nikon stuff. i love the aperure ring ( though more and more G lens are in the MArket)

the main reason that i kept with nikon is simple....that i have built a system that is enough for what i shoot and do. true that canon may have some great lens that nikon dont have...pt is i don need it.

both system are great IMHO....too bad i only have money for one.

The first sentence sounds a lot like the show that took the world in 1999 by storm...

Quote Originally Posted by loupgarou
    may I ask about the backward compatibility, how backward compatible? fully AF in all modes or limited? if one wants to talk about limited compatibility - then the canon system with adapters (FD-EOS, M42-EOS, Fmount-EOS etc) allows manual focus etc.

so for people upgrading from film to the latest nikon camera, are all their lenses going to work fully AF with aperture control etc?

for new players to DSLR, it doesn't even come into the equation since they have no lenses to begin with.
    It depends on the bodies. The pro DSLRs can use more than D100/D70. Gadrian, your turn on this

As for new players, unless there is an issue that all lens MUST be the latest gen, it still matters. Just look at TCW's shelf. Quite a few of the older lenses are still good to use! Micro, and other stuff like the pancake lens. This will expand the range of lenses available and by buying these 2nd hand (though some are still available in 1st hand), the cost is kept down.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast