Thread: Zoom range of 18-135mm

Default Zoom range of 18-135mm

Hi all,

May I know what is the zoom range at 135?. Like equivalent to how many times zoom in Digital camera?.

Thanks
    Iven

Default Re: Zoom range of 18-135mm

Quote Originally Posted by Ivshootphoto View Post
    Hi all,

May I know what is the zoom range at 135?. Like equivalent to how many times zoom in Digital camera?.

Thanks
    Iven
    The zoom ratio is the longest focal length divided by the shortest focal length.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

At 135mm you have reached the end of the zoom range ...
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    The zoom ratio is the longest focal length divided by the shortest focal length.
    Erm, so it is 135/18. Am I right?.
    About 7.5x..

Iven

About 7.5x..
    Even if it is mathematically correct .. it's a useless marketing gibberish. What really matters are the absolute values in "35mm equivalent". A lens with 24-180mm will have exactly the same zoom factor. But the wide angle end is not as wide and the telephoto end will be longer compared to your 18-135mm lens. So how much does the zoom factor really tell you?
    Photography notes for newbies - happy reading.
    EOS

About 7.5x..

Iven
    You can't compare it to compacts, because it's all cheap marketing. If I give you two lenses, one is a 10-100mm and the other is 100-1000mm, both are "10x zoom" but there are big differences in focal length
    Alpha

7.5x zoom.

out of curiosity - what are you going to do with this number?

for compact, it's fascinating to have say 20x zoom... for dslr, I am rather fascinated by "1 x zoom"- prime lens

no one talks about zoom ratio for dslr lens...consider the focal length...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Hi all,

Thanks
    Iven
    135/18 = 7.5x.. There u go
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    You can't compare it to compacts, because it's all cheap marketing. If I give you two lenses, one is a 10-100mm and the other is 100-1000mm, both are "10x zoom" but there are big differences in focal length
    well said.

comparing 18-200 (11.1x zoom) vs 70-200 (2.9x zoom). the latter cost 3 times more then the other. but the first can zoom 4 times more then the latter. so which is better?
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

those camera manufacturers really have got a lot of people believing their hogwash, eh?
    Successful marketing, I would say.

It's really a losing game trying to convince newbies about megapixels and zoom factor.... sigh...

Hi all, sorry, I am also very new to CS, and I was reading thru all the post to get more infor, and really interest me.

So, what's the difference between a 18-135mm vs a 24-180mm? is it that one produces wider pics than the other?

Some one mentioned it depends on the absolute values in "35mm equivalent". What does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by MilleniumX View Post
    Hi all, sorry, I am also very new to CS, and I was reading thru all the post to get more infor, and really interest me.

So, what's the difference between a 18-135mm vs a 24-180mm? is it that one produces wider pics than the other?

Some one mentioned it depends on the absolute values in "35mm equivalent". What does that mean?
    I suggest reading up a little bit online on aps-C. It will detail crop factor too.

The 18-135 is capable of wider pics, yes, because it has the 18-23mm range which the other lens does not.
    Alpha

[QUOTE=MilleniumX;6142981]
    [QUOTE]

the 18-135 is capable of wider shots since the widest end is 18mm, while the 24-180 is has its widest end at 24mm. but the later gives slightly longer reach at 180mm.

Quote Originally Posted by MilleniumX View Post
    Like what Rashkae mentioned, read up on crop factor of sensors, and u will derive the "35mm equivalent" concept. Different camera systems have different crop factors.

ryan