Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50

Thread: Did I get cheated?

  1. #1

    Exclamation Did I get cheated?

    Hey forum! I recently bought a canon eos 550D and a lot of my friends said I have got myself swindled. I bought mine from a shop at lucky plaza (shall not name it until its clarified) for a total of $1580 SGD inclusive of GST. The guy was like forcing me to buy all the stuff and this is what I paid : $1200 for the eos 550D with 18-55 lens. around $150 for one UV filter and one Polarising filter.(is it called filter? its something think and its a circle which you screw onto the main lens). $100 for another battery from unknown brand. (he said canon battery last less than an hour and this one can last 5 hours while continuously used). He "gave free" two memory cards 8GB, the eos bag and thats all. All this for 1580 do you think its worthed it? I think I have gotten myself cheated, or am I just being a cheapskate? Because my friends bought theirs from Alan Photography for around 1.6k for the 18-135 lens kit. Please help): I'm kinda lost right now.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Did I get cheated?

    If you got it from Lords, then the price is fine... but based on what you mentioned, my guess is that you were conned into buying all the staff that you don't need.
    I have expensive camera and big lenses but don't know how to use..... Sound familar???

  3. #3

    Default Re: Did I get cheated?

    Well, I dun think there is any thing u can do right now. Treat it as a lesson, move on and enjoy taking pictures

  4. #4

    Default Re: Did I get cheated?

    Is the filters really needed for photography? And is the price over the market or at market price? And is it really true that the canon battery won't last long? They said it is a MUST to buy these two items. ):
    littlemissmassacre.tumblr.com photolog

  5. #5

    Default Re: Did I get cheated?

    Lucky Plaza is well-known for it's con artists. You should have done research BEFORE buying. The standard price for a 550D with the 18-55 is about 1250 or so. A UV filter is about 10-20 SGD, and a circular polrizing filter is about 20-30. A third-party battery is about 50 SGD, but usually is not as good as an original battery.

    You are every shopkeepers dream come true, a customer who is easily sweet-talked, does not know how to say "no" and look around first, and with itchy hands and too much money.
    Alpha

  6. #6

    Default Re: Did I get cheated?

    Quote Originally Posted by littlemissmassacre View Post
    Is the filters really needed for photography? And is the price over the market or at market price? And is it really true that the canon battery won't last long? They said it is a MUST to buy these two items. ):
    It is a MUST for you to buy them so that they make a bigger profit. It is, by no means whatsoever, a must for you to buy them though. If it were, you would see every magazine, every review, telling you that you need these, and every store in existence selling these together, and Canon getting slammed left right centre for their poor batteries.

    A little common sense will take you a long way in life.
    Alpha

  7. #7
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: Did I get cheated?

    move on....
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    big tree town
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: Did I get cheated?

    Quote Originally Posted by littlemissmassacre View Post
    Is the filters really needed for photography? And is the price over the market or at market price? And is it really true that the canon battery won't last long? They said it is a MUST to buy these two items. ):
    nonsense
    cameras are not made of tofu

  9. #9

    Default Re: Did I get cheated?

    Oh damn! But they said the lens was steinzeiser or something. and yeah. okay wow. SO i got cheated by like $200. I didn't know of this place till like an hour ago! ):
    littlemissmassacre.tumblr.com photolog

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    197

    Default Re: Did I get cheated?

    I don't think it's ever a must to buy anything that you don't think you need. I'm not sure about the 550D's battery life but my 50D original battery is good for in excess of 400 shots thereabouts (shooting through viewfinder only). I got a Phottix spare battery for my overseas trip recently and that has served me without complaints thus far.

    It would probably help if you listed the prices for the individual items you were 'persuaded' to purchase. Ultimately, you should always do your homework before making a purchase. When you step into the dSLR category there are so many accessories that you need to decide for yourself whether you want or need, and if you can afford them.

    Take this as a lesson learnt. For what it's worth, I think at the most you paid a little extra for some items you may not need (it also depends on what you shoot) so you can either offload them on B&S or learn to use them. Either way, don't let this mistake repeat itself for your next purchase. Be clear on what you need to buy - you can always return to the shop again if you forgot to get something, but you can't do the same if you realized you'd bought something you had no use for.

  11. #11
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: Did I get cheated?

    Quote Originally Posted by littlemissmassacre View Post
    Oh damn! But they said the lens was steinzeiser or something. and yeah. okay wow. SO i got cheated by like $200. I didn't know of this place till like an hour ago! ):
    That's a cheapo brand.Even B+W also not so expensive...

  12. #12

    Default Re: Did I get cheated?

    Quote Originally Posted by littlemissmassacre View Post
    Oh damn! But they said the lens was steinzeiser or something. and yeah. okay wow. SO i got cheated by like $200. I didn't know of this place till like an hour ago! ):
    That's an el cheapo brand, I think it's even made in SG by some glasscutter in his garage. :P
    Alpha

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    big tree town
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: Did I get cheated?

    there is always a price to pay for not doing enough homework. take this as a lesson in life.
    cameras are not made of tofu

  14. #14

    Default Re: Did I get cheated?

    Yeap. I compared best to them and thought maybe they were a little cheaper. And was in a rush to buy it because my parents were going overseas the next day so yeah ): I have the receipt, it states :CANON EOS 550D (EF-S18-55), STEINZEISER 58MM CPL, STEINZEISER 58MM UV FILTER, BATTERY PACK, KINGSTON SDHC 8GB X 2. GROSS TOTAL $1580. Okay. Thanks guys! You helped me realised the....folly of mine. I will be sure to tell my other friends in photography class to avoid that shop!
    littlemissmassacre.tumblr.com photolog

  15. #15
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: Did I get cheated?

    Quote Originally Posted by littlemissmassacre View Post
    Yeap. I compared best to them and thought maybe they were a little cheaper. And was in a rush to buy it because my parents were going overseas the next day so yeah ): I have the receipt, it states :CANON EOS 550D (EF-S18-55), STEINZEISER 58MM CPL, STEINZEISER 58MM UV FILTER, BATTERY PACK, KINGSTON SDHC 8GB X 2. GROSS TOTAL $1580. Okay. Thanks guys! You helped me realised the....folly of mine. I will be sure to tell my other friends in photography class to avoid that shop!
    in fact... no one really goes to lucky plaza to buy cameras (except Lords).

  16. #16

    Default Re: Did I get cheated?

    Quote Originally Posted by littlemissmassacre View Post
    Hey forum! I recently bought a canon eos 550D and a lot of my friends said I have got myself swindled. I bought mine from a shop at lucky plaza (shall not name it until its clarified) for a total of $1580 SGD inclusive of GST. The guy was like forcing me to buy all the stuff and this is what I paid : $1200 for the eos 550D with 18-55 lens. around $150 for one UV filter and one Polarising filter.(is it called filter? its something think and its a circle which you screw onto the main lens). $100 for another battery from unknown brand. (he said canon battery last less than an hour and this one can last 5 hours while continuously used). He "gave free" two memory cards 8GB, the eos bag and thats all. All this for 1580 do you think its worthed it? I think I have gotten myself cheated, or am I just being a cheapskate? Because my friends bought theirs from Alan Photography for around 1.6k for the 18-135 lens kit. Please help): I'm kinda lost right now.
    you didn't get chopped for the 550d with kit i think.

    the uv and polarising filter is the one where you got chopped. along with the battery.

    learn next time not to give into pressure.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: Did I get cheated?

    It's a relatively cheap lesson, don't feel too bad. "Once bitten twice shy".

  18. #18
    Senior Member Numnumball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    13,914

    Default Re: Did I get cheated?

    Take it as a lesson learnt, it best to do ur homework in adv next time..
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

  19. #19
    Member iMac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Tiong Bahru,Singapore
    Posts
    1,122

    Default Re: Did I get cheated?

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    in fact... no one really goes to lucky plaza to buy cameras (except Lords).
    actually there are...except most prefer to get cheated first then come CS and complain then realise the most ppl here already told them where most ppl go to get their gears..

    Congrats to the shop for making another kill.......more to come.....

  20. #20

    Default Re: Did I get cheated?

    I got the same treatment when I asked for a UV filter. The bloody shop keeper, who didn't sound local, quoted me $50 for a lame brand 52mm UV filter. When I about to walk off, he imediately discounted $15 off. When I said no, he asked me how much I am willing to pay..... I just ignored him and walk off.

    Bottomline is, you don't have to buy anything if you think the price aint right. However, you must know what you are buying and how much the market rate is.

    FYI, I brought an oversea friend to Funan for a 3rd party battery for his 500D. Paid $12 for one from SLRR. Work like a charm.
    I have expensive camera and big lenses but don't know how to use..... Sound familar???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •