Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: My Niece

  1. #1

    Default My Niece



    1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?

    Composition, framing portrait shots, how effective is the photo in achieving point 2.

    2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?

    I wanted to portray the curiosity of a young child.

    3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

    It was taken in the evening, under warm lighting, under the table. Didn't use the flash as i wanted the picture to have the natural feel of the ambient lighting.

    4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.

    During post-processing, i had to crop away a stray hand in the background which made the picture narrower. Tried to reduce some of the tungsten (?) light because it looks very orange. With limited success.

    Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by knoxknocks; 16th May 2010 at 11:49 PM.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,753

    Default Re: My Niece

    i understand you want the natural feel of the ambient light...but its under exposed. and not pleasant to look at. there's this border thing surrounding your image...its distracting and for me it means poor composition. i think the two major problem is composition and underexposure.

  3. #3

    Default Re: My Niece

    Quote Originally Posted by auden09 View Post
    i understand you want the natural feel of the ambient light...but its under exposed. and not pleasant to look at. there's this border thing surrounding your image...its distracting and for me it means poor composition. i think the two major problem is composition and underexposure.
    The border's actually the underside of the table, it was there to frame the shot. Thank you for your feedback

  4. #4

    Default Re: My Niece

    the framing doesn't seem to work too well but the main problem will be the amt of shadows present on the subject's face, making her look like a 50 yr old woman than a little girl esp under the eyes.

  5. #5

    Default Re: My Niece

    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    the framing doesn't seem to work too well but the main problem will be the amt of shadows present on the subject's face, making her look like a 50 yr old woman than a little girl esp under the eyes.
    Could you elaborate on why the framing doesn't seem to work too well? How can it be improved?

    Amount of shadow = underexposure? Is there a way to remove the shadows in a particular area of the picture? Tried to increase the overall brightness, then the chairs look too white.

    Thanks for your feedback. Appreciate your comments.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,753

    Default Re: My Niece

    Quote Originally Posted by cityhunter66 View Post
    The border's actually the underside of the table, it was there to frame the shot. Thank you for your feedback
    no prob. anyway if its there to frame the shot, you shld have zoomed out more so we can establish it as the underside of the table meant to frame the shot. juz my 2 cents.

  7. #7

    Default Re: My Niece

    Quote Originally Posted by auden09 View Post
    no prob. anyway if its there to frame the shot, you shld have zoomed out more so we can establish it as the underside of the table meant to frame the shot. juz my 2 cents.
    Never actually realised that i'm the only one who know's it's the underside of a table, maybe because i'm too familiar with the settings (it's my house). Thanks for enlightening!

  8. #8

    Default Re: My Niece

    I feel the child's facial expression leans a bit towards the "curiosity of as child". Could you have rescued the exposure via Photoshop or something equivalent? I would have cropped 1 cm above the child's head, making the shot tighter, and resulting in a more landscape format.

    -- marios

    Quote Originally Posted by cityhunter66 View Post


    1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?

    Composition, framing portrait shots, how effective is the photo in achieving point 2.

    2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?

    I wanted to portray the curiosity of a young child.

    3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

    It was taken in the evening, under warm lighting, under the table. Didn't use the flash as i wanted the picture to have the natural feel of the ambient lighting.

    4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.

    During post-processing, i had to crop away a stray hand in the background which made the picture narrower. Tried to reduce some of the tungsten (?) light because it looks very orange. With limited success.

    Thank you for your time.

  9. #9

    Default Re: My Niece

    Quote Originally Posted by cityhunter66 View Post
    Could you elaborate on why the framing doesn't seem to work too well? How can it be improved?

    Amount of shadow = underexposure? Is there a way to remove the shadows in a particular area of the picture? Tried to increase the overall brightness, then the chairs look too white.

    Thanks for your feedback. Appreciate your comments.
    currently it looks like bits n pieces of black border. a tele lens might work better in compressing the scene and getting the framing u wanted.

    theres abit too much shadows under her eyes and face imo. u can fill light in pp but i think the overall ambient was low to begin with.

  10. #10

    Default Re: My Niece

    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    currently it looks like bits n pieces of black border. a tele lens might work better in compressing the scene and getting the framing u wanted.

    theres abit too much shadows under her eyes and face imo. u can fill light in pp but i think the overall ambient was low to begin with.
    I'd have to work with my kit lens for now, just bought my DSLR a few days and trying to learn the basics well before buying those expensive equipment...

    I'll try taking the picture slightly further away and see if i can capture the framing properly. Will also increase the exposure to see if i can achieve better lighting.

    Thanks ff, for your comments.

  11. #11

    Default Re: My Niece

    Quote Originally Posted by marios_pittas View Post
    I feel the child's facial expression leans a bit towards the "curiosity of as child". Could you have rescued the exposure via Photoshop or something equivalent? I would have cropped 1 cm above the child's head, making the shot tighter, and resulting in a more landscape format.

    -- marios
    Ya, you're right! My initial picture was in landscape (but got stray hand) and it looked better (to me la). Oops, my PC doesn't have photoshop...i tried to increase the brightness but the whole picture looks white, which looks terrible for those antique chairs...

    Thank you for your comment, appreciate it

  12. #12
    Member driveanegg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang
    Posts
    615

    Default Re: My Niece

    The lighting could be better.... at least wait for somewhere with better quality light ??
    And the girl looks a little bit tortured.... hmm....

    keep shooting
    I probably collect lenses more than I take pictures
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/33270154@N03/

  13. #13

    Default Re: My Niece

    Quote Originally Posted by driveanegg View Post
    The lighting could be better.... at least wait for somewhere with better quality light ??
    And the girl looks a little bit tortured.... hmm....

    keep shooting
    Aiya don't have, the hall lighting all tungsten type...does it look like that? I can't see the link though...nonetheless, thanks for your encouragement!

    Looking forward to catching a lightning bolt ripping across the grey sky, wish me luck!

  14. #14

    Default Re: My Niece

    - underexposed
    - the chair is distracting
    - so is the table leg framing

    overall normal picture.

  15. #15

    Default Re: My Niece

    too dark . and the surrounding black stuff spoiled the picture . The face of the niece should be brighter , because she's the main subject .
    NIKON D90 | NIKKOR 35mm F/1.8G | NIKKOR 50mm F/1.8D | TOKINA 11-16mm F/2.8

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •