Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diffusers

Default Re: Diffusers

No offense, but are you using the bounce flash correctly?
    A sample pict might help ppl help you here.

Some questions that you may want to think about on your current setup.
    Was the bounce surface too far/high?
    Was your flash too weak?
    Was your aperture too small and/or ISO too slow?
    What was the color of the bounce surface? Black?

A new gizmo though it may give instant gratification may not actually serve to solve the problem.

A large self cut out bounce card from plastic card or foam paper (check a craft store like Art Friend) very often throws enough light forward.
    If you have friends with different diffusers, then you can borrow and try them 1st before buying.

Quote Originally Posted by YuccaTheFlower View Post
    I've been thinking about this for a long time. And when there isn't a ceiling or wall to bounce my flash, I find it hard to get the correct exposure. Can anyone advise on whether I should get a diffuser if I do not wish to bounce my flash?

And I've also been reading about the gary fong diffuser, any opinions on which diffuser I should get?

Thanks
    Justto share.. I m using Demb Flip it and Gary Fong Cloud.
    Ihmo, the former work great outdoors and the latter great indoors..
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Blog Entries

I am using Demb Flip-it Jumbo. Just make sure to bend the reflector forward for night shots. It works ok but still works best indoors with a ceiling to bounce most of the light from.

I also have GF lightsphere and cloud. I think lightspheres work better indoors as the light is let go in all directions, when bounced all over from all surfaces, give you the diffused lighting. That is why it wastes so much power, especially when shooting outdoor. Very ineffective outdoors, unless you face the top (with the cap) at your subjects. If you do that, you get light that is a little harsh as well.

I find hard caps (ala omnibounce) to be quite ineffective outdoors, since the light source is quite small, and with no surfaces to bounce off from outdoors, becomes like a direct on flash.

Perhaps outdoors, the best diffuser will be a softbox. Best if you have a light stand, and shoot the remote flash through the softbox.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 17th May 2010 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    No offense, but are you using the bounce flash correctly?
    A sample pict might help ppl help you here.

Some questions that you may want to think about on your current setup.
    Was the bounce surface too far/high?
    Was your flash too weak?
    Was your aperture too small and/or ISO too slow?
    What was the color of the bounce surface? Black?

A new gizmo though it may give instant gratification may not actually serve to solve the problem.

A large self cut out bounce card from plastic card or foam paper (check a craft store like Art Friend) very often throws enough light forward.
    If you have friends with different diffusers, then you can borrow and try them 1st before buying.
    Thanks I do use my bounce flash correctly. But i'm looking towards an even spreading of light without the bouncing it.

Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    All the three I've mentioned can be used for portraits...

You might want to try them all yourself to find which works best FOR YOU.

The Gary Foong might be more versatile since you can actually "shoot" it at your model to create some sort of warm glow with the yellow cover etc...

But seriously, your flash might be too small to support the Gary Foong dome properly. I know my SB600 can rarely stay in the position I want with the thing attached. You should really try them out. Not that expensive if you get the China versions. Not that different in quality in my opinion.
    I think the gay foong supports the 430exII also right?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    Cap diffusers are not much different from using direct flash when there is no surface to bounce the light off.. You're just making your flash less efficient..
    I'm probably leading more towards a dome shaped one.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    let me tell you straight.

the bigger the light source, the softer the light,

the softer the light, will eat up more flash power,

you can get a 5 feet softbox or a 60" umbrella attach to your flash, sure you will have very soft light, but your flash will not be powerful enough to deliver decent exposure.
    Well apparently you still dont get what I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    The reflector will give a softer light than the hardcap diffuser. Why not you check out the link I got you & see if any of those stuffs interest you
    Thanks very much. I'm now thinking about probably a reflector, but there isn't anyone I know who uses them

Quote Originally Posted by Numnumball View Post
    Justto share.. I m using Demb Flip it and Gary Fong Cloud.
    Ihmo, the former work great outdoors and the latter great indoors..
    Thanks, for the price range which is more expensive? I think the GF cloud is around 90?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I am using Demb Flip-it Jumbo. Just make sure to bend the reflector forward for night shots. It works ok but still works best indoors with a ceiling to bounce most of the light from.

I also have GF lightsphere and cloud. I think lightspheres work better indoors as the light is let go in all directions, when bounced all over from all surfaces, give you the diffused lighting. That is why it wastes so much power, especially when shooting outdoor. Very ineffective outdoors, unless you face the top (with the cap) at your subjects. If you do that, you get light that is a little harsh as well.

I find hard caps (ala omnibounce) to be quite ineffective outdoors, since the light source is quite small, and with no surfaces to bounce off from outdoors, becomes like a direct on flash.

Perhaps outdoors, the best diffuser will be a softbox. Best if you have a light stand, and shoot the remote flash through the softbox.
    I'm leaning more towards indoor usage, softbox wasn't really what I had in mind. With this I feel I would probably be getting the lightsphere from your comment

I think the gay foong supports the 430exII also right?
    Thanks
    What I mean is that the GF is more suitable with larger flashes since the GF's weight can put a strain on smaller flashes hence you can only use it in some positions which may not be versatile enough for your needs (which I can't tell what they are).

Will you be having an assistant when you shoot? Is it for portraits where you can "control" your subjects? If the answer is yes to both, a softbox and reflector does sound like a great idea. Reflector is quite impossible to use if you're trying it at events.

Anyways, for indoor shoots (that are not events), there is no single solution to good lighting. And again, I suggest you try out all (or at least most) of the suggestions for the fun of it.

Blog Entries

Thanks, for the price range which is more expensive? I think the GF cloud is around 90?
    Demb is cheaper (and better in my opinion). Unless you want to go the China made copies of the GF cloud. But be forewarned, the copy version smells horrible.

I'm leaning more towards indoor usage, softbox wasn't really what I had in mind. With this I feel I would probably be getting the lightsphere from your comment
    Erm... Okay. But I find the Demb to work much much better indoors than the GF LS (clear or cloud). More control and friendlier on your batteries too.

My GF spheres are all now downgraded to remote flash uses... when I use them... (I seldom do).
    Last edited by daredevil123; 17th May 2010 at 06:05 PM.

Demb is cheaper (and better in my opinion). Unless you want to go the China made copies of the GF cloud. But be forewarned, the copy version smells horrible.

Very true.

Thank goodness I somehow managed to get rid of the smell!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post

Very true.

Thank goodness I somehow managed to get rid of the smell!
    Mine took a year to air out...

Blog Entries

Oh ya. I forgot to mention the Gary Fong whale tail. I thought that looks promising, but I just could not bear the thought of using that toilet bowl on top of my flash.... And it was hella expensive.. but you can get a chine copy version for that too (I'm not sure if this one smells horrible too)...

Agreed on the above.. Which i just did for a "model" outdoor lcoation shoot.. actually the model is .... my wife lar.

Here on Post 25, 28 and 31

It gives a rather soft, yet 3d natural directional lighting which i haven come across and imo is the best so far for outdoors shooting

P.s. Bro, got time go comment leh.
    My Flickr|My Son

Oh ya. I forgot to mention the Gary Fong whale tail. I thought that looks promising, but I just could not bear the thought of using that toilet bowl on top of my flash.... And it was hella expensive.. but you can get a chine copy version for that too (I'm not sure if this one smells horrible too)...
    I would buy it if it doesn't smell like the toilet bowl it looks like...

Whaletail seems to work very well from the images I've seen taken by official event photographers who use it. I don't think it's a very good idea for portraits though.

Blog Entries

Agreed on the above.. Which i just did for a "model" outdoor lcoation shoot.. actually the model is .... my wife lar.

Here on Post 25, 28 and 31

It gives a rather soft, yet 3d natural directional lighting which i haven come across and imo is the best so far for outdoors shooting

P.s. Bro, got time go comment leh.
    I commented in your FB already.. I will do it again here... support support!

I was comtemplating getting that over the GF LS before i setttled for the latter, likewise the looks of it doesnt look that appealing as compared to the "bowl" and end effects comparatively nt tt far away from GFLS but think it smells better than those china made ones.. haa..
    My Flickr|My Son

Blog Entries

I was comtemplating getting that over the GF LS before i setttled for the latter, likewise the looks of it doesnt look that appealing as compared to the "bowl" and end effects comparatively nt tt far away from GFLS but think it smells better than those china made ones.. haa..
    Bro, in the end, Demb still ends up in my bag. Easy to store, save battery, good controllable results.

Swee....
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

I like your helix bridge pictures

So you guys in the opinion that demb is better?

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/saucer/

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/portrait_dish/

Demb come out with 2 new diffusers. Anyone in Singapore has it? I'm planning to get 1 and try it out. I'm using the demb flip it for close to a year, really like it!

Hi all,

does anyone know where I can find the Gary Fong Puffer?

http://www.garyfongestore.com/flash-...-diffuser.html

Thanks ya,
    Andy
    Cheers,
    Andy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Torque View Post
    Hi all,

does anyone know where I can find the Gary Fong Puffer?

http://www.garyfongestore.com/flash-...-diffuser.html

Thanks ya,
    Andy
    Cathay Photo is the official distributor for Gary Fong products. I am sure they stock the puffer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast