Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Guys, i need help!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Guys, i need help!

Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    7D is way out of your budget.Get the Nikon D90 and 18-105 kit(price is around $1600).After that get some accessories like SD cards,extra battery,dry cabinet,cleaning kit,bag etc..........and you'll have spent all your 2k already
    Prices have dropped in both camps (Nikon and Canon). So it is prudent to check up on prices again. I know for a fact that D90 kit is now selling for less than 1500 gst included.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    TS, actually camera preference can get very personal. Not everyone's needs and tastes are the same. I would encourage you to do your research online and, most importantly, go down to the stores to try them out. See how each camera feels in your hands, and if the user interface makes sense to you.

Things I suggest or things you should note:

1. As a new user, I recommend against buying used. You simply do not have enough experience to know if the used camera will be a good buy, or if it has problems.

2. Due to your condition, I recommend you get a good quality tripod that offers a detachable leg to be used as a monopod. You don't have to spend too much, maybe around 300 for an aluminium one. Look at brands like Sirui, Benro or if you are very tight, fancier.

3. There are a lot more camera models than Canon 550D and Nikon D90. Though that 2 models are excellent cameras, there are other excellent cameras out there. Looking at your budget, you should also consider the Pentax K-x (best value IMHO), Sony A500/550 and Nikon D5000.

4. Contrary to what you hear, not all current Canon lenses will fit all current Canon camera models. You can do a google on "Canon EFS lens compatibility" and you will get what I mean.

5. Contrary to what you hear, All Nikon lens in F mount from the late 70s till today will mount correctly on all current Nikon camera models. However, not all camera bodies will offer support for all the functions. For Ai, Ais lenses, they are all manual focus, and will only meter with D200, D300 and above. AF-D lenses will meter will all current bodies but will only support autofocus on D70, D80, D90 and above.

For your current use, I do not foresee much issues with lens compatibility if you go D90 or Canon 550D. If you go Nikon D5000, you will not be able to auto focus with some of the popular lenses like 50mm/1.8.

So there, I think that is a good enough overview for now. Feel free to ask more questions if any pop up.

wow..this is fit for a FAQ for all to take a look if there have the same struggle...rather detailed...

just something to add on the #5. If TS does have nikon lens made in the 60s...the nikkor NAI mount..then those can only fit on a few models...I use them on D40 before...modified so as to use on my d70 too...and I heard D5000, 3000 are able to mount them too..no metering(unless higher end bodies)/no af...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Just curious, can Minolta bodies take on newer Sony lenses? I pressumed a "yes"?
    Yup! They can.
    Alpha

Blog Entries

Yep...Sony/KM and Pentax also can fit older lenses but MF only
    Please note that Minolta (the company that Sony bought the dslr division from, and which Sony alphas are based on) is the first company to release an autofocus film SLR in its day.... I still remember the day when my dad show me this wonderful new thing called "autofocus" on his new Minolta 7000.

So let me ask you, are you very sure about that statement you just blurted out? I'll let you find out the answer yourself so you can save some face on this forum...
    Last edited by daredevil123; 17th May 2010 at 11:33 AM.

3. There are a lot more camera models than Canon 550D and Nikon D90. Though that 2 models are excellent cameras, there are other excellent cameras out there. Looking at your budget, you should also consider the Pentax K-x (best value IMHO), Sony A500/550 and Nikon D5000.
    I second the suggestion of the Pentax K-x, simply because it's pretty good value, and the ergonomics seem quite good. The plus points are in-body stabilisation, so you get stabilisation regardless of what lens is used. The 'savings' can be better used for a sturdy tripod. Seriously, if my hands were to be trembling all the time when carrying my camera, I would have no choice but to use the tripod EVERYWHERE.

TS, try not to close off your options so quickly. I know Nikon and Canon have been the most aggressive in terms of marketing, but that doesn't mean they are the only camera-makers out there!
    Exploring! :)

Yep...Sony/KM and Pentax also can fit older lenses but MF only
    What on earth have you been reading?? Please don't talk nonsense.
    Alpha

Blog Entries

what ever camera you choose, make sure you get a sturdy tripod

no point having good pictures with camera shake

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    What on earth have you been reading?? Please don't talk nonsense.
    Ok maybe i should rephrase it properly..

Old/new Sony/KM lenses can mount on old/current Sony/KM bodies

Old/new Pentax lenses can mount on old/current Pentax bodies

Some can AF and MF while some can MF only...
    Last edited by cleonbus; 17th May 2010 at 03:10 PM.

Deregistered

Prices have dropped in both camps (Nikon and Canon). So it is prudent to check up on prices again. I know for a fact that D90 kit is now selling for less than 1500 gst included.
    Duh...i was saying that D90's RRP is now $16++.....

Quote Originally Posted by Candylies View Post
    Thanks Guys for the feedbacks!!

I don't like sony and pentax body, got a try of my friend's Sony DSLR, don't like it at all.

I love the Canon 7D body,weight and grip but I guess i will stick on to Nikon D90 due to budget.

I heard that not all lenses are able to fit Nikon Camera, will it affect me in terms of long term run, because Canon DSLR can fit any lens.

And getting a monopod or a tripod, what exactly should i look for, any brands or anything? Because i heard that there are lousy and good types of either monopod or tripod.
    nah...wont affect u... as if u gonna hunt for those antique lens.

and its not dun fit... just some antique lens cant meter/autofocus. and since you are using d90, motor issues wont affect you. motor issues affect bodies like d40,60,3000,5000.
    infact these bodies can use most of the nikon lens. whether it will meter and AF thats another thing.

if u r deciding between C&N brand ...close ur eyes and just toss a coin.
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

don't get offended.
    Earlier you said that price is around 1600. There was no mention of the term RRP.
    Just a misunderstanding. chill...

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    don't get offended.
    Earlier you said that price is around 1600. There was no mention of the term RRP.
    Just a misunderstanding. chill...
    Haha i'm not offended

Blog Entries

Ok maybe i should rephrase it properly..

Old/new Sony/KM lenses can mount on old/current Sony/KM bodies

Old/new Pentax lenses can mount on old/current Pentax bodies

Some can AF and MF while some can MF only...
    If you are not sure about something, it is not prudent to talk/post first. At least go read it up on the WWW. Make sure you know what you are talking/posting is accurate.

When you talk the next time, it might help if you talk/post clearly and accurately. We are not telepathic and we can't read your mind you know.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 17th May 2010 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wildsoyabean View Post
    if u r deciding between C&N brand ...close ur eyes and just toss a coin.

Anyways, is a heavier body not a good solution to TS's issue?

Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post

Anyways, is a heavier body not a good solution to TS's issue?
    it MIGHT be a possible solution, but then again we're all guessing as to the extent of the trembling.
    If it's serious enough, no 'heavy body' will do. Anyway, up to a certain point, I think weight becomes a detriment to stability.
    Tripod is still a more certain way to ensure stability.

Just got home from police work.

Guys you are all awesome ppl! thnks for the feedbacks!! Appreciate it alot!

Btw i have 4 questions

1. whats the difference between full frame camera like the 5DM2 and a non full frame
    camera? Does it really make the pictures lots of difference??

2. Do your have any brands of tripod or monopod to intro me thats good?

3. Is it wise to get a body armor for D90 for weather purposes??

4. If Canon 60D is coming out this year which is around mid - end year which my friend told me, should i wait for it??
    Last edited by Candylies; 17th May 2010 at 07:51 PM.

Read in-line for my replies

Quote Originally Posted by Candylies

Btw i have 4 questions

1. whats the difference between full frame camera like the 5DM2 and a non full frame

Basically, the size of the sensor in the full-frame camera is much larger than the one in the non full frame camera. Do google for the differences.

I use Benro. I like it.

What weather are you attempting to bring your D90 into?

4. If Canon 60D is coming out this year which is around mid - end year which my friend told me, should i wait for it??
    What's more important to you: Having the latest camera, or going out and taking good photos? The waiting never ends. When 60D comes out, there will be rumours of 70D... so will you wait some more?

Blog Entries

Btw i have 4 questions

1. Two short articles for you to read. Here and here.

2. I already did in my post earlier on HERE, if you bother to read in detail. Look at sub point #2.

3. No. All the body armors I have seen so far are not sealed and will not shield your camera from rough weather.

4. No one has heard of the 60D coming out yet. No, you shouldn't wait for it. It will probably use the same sensor from the 7D, which is also in the 550D. So might as well get the 550D now, rather than wait for a camera that no one has heard is coming in the next 3 months.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 17th May 2010 at 08:18 PM.

Btw i have 4 questions

1. Yes for high ISO photos. No if your technique is still no good. The main difference is the size of the sensor and usually to house the sensor and all the accompanying electronics to handle the extra information etc, the body will be likely to be bulkier and heavier.

2. Gitzo is the best if you can afford it.

3. Body armor? I've actually not seen anyone use this. I've used my D40 in drizzling rain without worries if it helps.

4. No. Buy buy buy, now now now!
    Seriously, the wait for a "newer" model is tiring and can be rather frustrating if things don't turn out as you "predict" it to be.

1. Two short articles for you to read. Here and here.

2. I already did in my post earlier on HERE, if you bother to read in detail. Look at sub point #2.

3. No. All the body armors I have seen so far are not sealed and will not shield your camera from rough weather.

4. No one has heard of the 60D coming out yet. No, you shouldn't wait for it. It will probably use the same sensor from the 7D, which is also in the 550D. So might as well get the 550D now, rather than wait for a camera that no one has heard is coming in the next 3 months.

Oops i apologize for that. And many many thnaks. I won't be getting the 550D as i really dun like the feel of it. D90 is still the best currently thought my favourite is the 7D after testing it once. =)

And to the rest of the Guys who helped me!! Thanks! Now am reading about the full frame details.

You guys are awesome! =)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast