Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Guys, i need help!

Default Re: Guys, i need help!

Quote Originally Posted by Candylies
    Thanks Guys for the feedbacks!!

I don't like sony and pentax body, got a try of my friend's Sony DSLR, don't like it at all.

I love the Canon 7D body,weight and grip but I guess i will stick on to Nikon D90 due to budget.

I heard that not all lenses are able to fit Nikon Camera, will it affect me in terms of long term run, because Canon DSLR can fit any lens.

And getting a monopod or a tripod, what exactly should i look for, any brands or anything? Because i heard that there are lousy and good types of either monopod or tripod.
    Where did you get that information?

and your comment about lousy and good types of monopod/tripod is like a truism for EVERY product in this world, don't you agree?
    Last edited by ZerocoolAstra; 16th May 2010 at 10:35 PM.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Where did you get that information?

from a friend of mine, like those old lenses. So that why i asked.

and your comment about lousy and good types of monopod/tripod is like a truism for EVERY product in this world, don't you agree?
    Don't get me wrong. What i meant was stability and being to withstand wind-force and etc. If not why is there different prices in monopods and tripods. like example the carbon-fibre tripod which is able to withstand any humilty and weather cost more expensive than a normal tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    Forget about old technology, Canon 50D and Nikon D300 will be discontinued soon.

I would recommend D90 with VRII lens to counter your shake. I'm 70 and my hands also shake but with a D90, you'll take more beautiful pictures and less worries about that shake.
    Wah uncle, u 70 and still shoot, respect u man...
    No photographer is as good as the simplest camera

Quote Originally Posted by Candylies View Post
    Don't get me wrong. What i meant was stability and being to withstand wind-force and etc. If not why is there different prices in monopods and tripods. like example the carbon-fibre tripod which is able to withstand any humilty and weather cost more expensive than a normal tripod.
    In fact, Nikon's lens mount has not changed for several decades, such that even old lenses from the 1960s can be mounted on the latest DSLRS (eg. D90, D300, D700, even the humble D3000) and you can shoot photos with them. Granted, some features (eg. autofocus, metering, etc) may not be accessible, but at least you can still capture images.

Canon changed their lens mount in the 1980s, so all lenses made before that (denoted by the 'FD' nomenclature) CANNOT be mounted on any of their current DSLRs without the use of some complicated adapter.

edit: your friend probably meant that if you have a Canon EF or EF-S lens, you can mount it on any current DSLR and have full functionality, whereas Nikon plays a slightly tricky marketing game, whereby their entry-level cameras are 'handicapped' by not having an auto-focus motor. Therefore if you buy an AF-Nikkor lens (of which there are many in the market) and mount on an entry-level body like D3000/D5000, you don't get autofocus capability. If you're eyeing D90, this is not an issue.

with regards to tripods/monopods, you made the statement "I head that there are lousy as well as good..." which is a truth for any product that is made in this world.
    If you are asking what kind of tripod is good, well... essentially you get what you pay for. The established brands have a long history of reliability, so their brand name also counts for something. The chinese brands are copying their designs and selling for less. Up to you whether you feel this is justified.
    Last edited by ZerocoolAstra; 16th May 2010 at 11:21 PM.

In fact, Nikon's lens mount has not changed for several decades, such that even old lenses from the 1960s can be mounted on the latest DSLRS (eg. D90, D300, D700, even the humble D3000) and you can shoot photos with them. Granted, some features (eg. autofocus, metering, etc) may not be accessible, but at least you can still capture images.

Canon changed their lens mount in the 1980s, so all lenses made before that (denoted by the 'FD' nomenclature) CANNOT be mounted on any of their current DSLRs without the use of some complicated adapter.
    I agree on that point totally! I mounted a 10 year old lens from the SLR days and it works PERFECTLY on my D90! What's even nicer? The AUTOFOCUS still works no matter how cranky and noisy it is! Now that I call happiness... I can now take my time hunting for the primary lens while still able to take pictures with my D90 body... a CLASS ACT Nikon!
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 16th May 2010 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    I agree on that point totally! I mounted a 10 year old lens from the SLR days and it works PERFECTLY on my D90! What's even nicer? The AUTOFOCUS still works no matter how cranky and noisy it is! Now that I call happiness... I can now take my time hunting for the primary lens while still able to take pictures with my D90 body... a CLASS ACT Nikon!
    oh, you bought D90 already? Congrats!

10Q! I thought you knew, as I was plastering my newly snapped images in the WRONG gallery (Macro instead of Still Life!)

Might I suggest a heavier camera? At least for me, I can shoot at lower shutter speeds with a heavier body.

10Q! I thought you knew, as I was plastering my newly snapped images in the WRONG gallery (Macro instead of Still Life!)
    no la... I'm not so crazy to stick my head in every subforum!
    I'm also considering a mild upgrade from D80 to D90. Like the sound of the D90's mirror slap, 3" LCD, lower noise at high ISO, more customisable white balance, etc.

Meh. My 27-year-old Minolta fits on my Sony and works perfectly too, so there are many "class acts" out there. :P
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Meh. My 27-year-old Minolta fits on my Sony and works perfectly too, so there are many "class acts" out there. :P
    Hehehe yes... Nikon isn't the only brand out there with a long history of lenses that can mount an work. I think Sony (minolta) and pentax also?

Deregistered

Hehehe yes... Nikon isn't the only brand out there with a long history of lenses that can mount an work. I think Sony (minolta) and pentax also?
    Yep...Sony/KM and Pentax also can fit older lenses but MF only

I think you need IS to aid you with your condition and to save $ for long run in-body IS is a good bet, don't dismiss any brand as there have been technological advancement lately, go read reviews and sample it your self at shop to make an informed decision.

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    Yep...Sony/KM and Pentax also can fit older lenses but MF only
    I think not necessarily true.
    I don't know much about Sony/KM or Pentax, but I would assume that if their older lenses had autofocus mechanism (much like AF-Nikkors), then they should also have autofocus capability.
    I see that their camera bodies (even the entry-level ones ) have a screw drive as well.

no la... I'm not so crazy to stick my head in every subforum!
    I'm also considering a mild upgrade from D80 to D90. Like the sound of the D90's mirror slap, 3" LCD, lower noise at high ISO, more customisable white balance, etc.
    Ok, ok I'll give you the benefit of doubt! Oh I don't really know the difference between the two... if I've ventured into photography when D80 is the main consideration, that will be it... I probably won't upgrade for another 5 to 10 years (depending on how technology progresses), but that's just my way of doing things. Can't wait for you to upgrade soon, then we can share learning tips!

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Ah! I stand corrected from a "guru" here! Besides Minolta/Sony, is there any other brand? Since Minolta is already debunked, then that leaves just Sony as the surviving act. Plus Pentax. Then the statement should be corrected to "a few class acts out there". Just curious, can Minolta bodies take on newer Sony lenses? I pressumed a "yes"?
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 17th May 2010 at 10:38 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    Forget about old technology, Canon 50D and Nikon D300 will be discontinued soon.

I would recommend D90 with VRII lens to counter your shake. I'm 70 and my hands also shake but with a D90, you'll take more beautiful pictures and less worries about that shake.
    Actually D300 just got replaced with D300s.

And D90 is the one that is going to get "discontinued", projected Q3-Q4 of this year.

And the old techonology you just mentioned, from the D300, is still being used in the D90. Yes, same technology. So you can diss the D300 and yet recommend the D90.

I really have no idea how you come up with these rationales?

And why bother about what is old and what is coming? If the camera is good, and serve your needs, it doesn't hurt to use it. And if it is older in the product life cycle, it means you get to buy it with the bugs ironed out, at a much lower price point. All the better I'll say.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 17th May 2010 at 10:56 AM.

Kudos to kriegsketten!
    shoot and post more ya! I love nikon bodies because of the use of the old lens...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Candylies View Post
    Hi,

I am currently confused about what to get for my new DSLR. I have already used before a canon 1000d, Nikon D90 and a SLR Minolta camera. [Nikon and Canon is borrowed from friends]

My budget is max 2K with lens.

I already know what i love to take, which is:

-Macro
    -Scenery
    -People
    -Animals and insects

Erm anyone to help me to clear my confusions??

Thanks and God bless! =)
    TS, actually camera preference can get very personal. Not everyone's needs and tastes are the same. I would encourage you to do your research online and, most importantly, go down to the stores to try them out. See how each camera feels in your hands, and if the user interface makes sense to you.

Things I suggest or things you should note:

1. As a new user, I recommend against buying used. You simply do not have enough experience to know if the used camera will be a good buy, or if it has problems.

2. Due to your condition, I recommend you get a good quality tripod that offers a detachable leg to be used as a monopod. You don't have to spend too much, maybe around 300 for an aluminium one. Look at brands like Sirui, Benro or if you are very tight, fancier.

3. There are a lot more camera models than Canon 550D and Nikon D90. Though that 2 models are excellent cameras, there are other excellent cameras out there. Looking at your budget, you should also consider the Pentax K-x (best value IMHO), Sony A500/550 and Nikon D5000.

4. Contrary to what you hear, not all current Canon lenses will fit all current Canon camera models. You can do a google on "Canon EFS lens compatibility" and you will get what I mean.

5. Contrary to what you hear, All Nikon lens in F mount from the late 70s till today will mount correctly on all current Nikon camera models. However, not all camera bodies will offer support for all the functions. For Ai, Ais lenses, they are all manual focus, and will only meter with D200, D300 and above. AF-D lenses will meter will all current bodies but will only support autofocus on D70, D80, D90 and above.

For your current use, I do not foresee much issues with lens compatibility if you go D90 or Canon 550D. If you go Nikon D5000, you will not be able to auto focus with some of the popular lenses like 50mm/1.8.

So there, I think that is a good enough overview for now. Feel free to ask more questions if any pop up.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Actually D300 just got replaced with D300s.

And D90 is the one that is going to get "discontinued", projected Q3-Q4 of this year.

And the old techonology you just mentioned, from the D300, is still being used in the D90. Yes, same technology. So you can diss the D300 and yet recommend the D90.

I really have no idea how you come up with these rationales?

And why bother about what is old and what is coming? If the camera is good, and serve your needs, it doesn't hurt to use it. And if it is older in the product life cycle, it means you get to buy it with the bugs ironed out, at a much lower price point. All the better I'll say.
    Well said bro.. couldnt agreed better
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    TS, actually camera preference can get very personal. Not everyone's needs and tastes are the same. I would encourage you to do your research online and, most importantly, go down to the stores to try them out. See how each camera feels in your hands, and if the user interface makes sense to you.

Things I suggest or things you should note:

1. As a new user, I recommend against buying used. You simply do not have enough experience to know if the used camera will be a good buy, or if it has problems.

2. Due to your condition, I recommend you get a good quality tripod that offers a detachable leg to be used as a monopod. You don't have to spend too much, maybe around 300 for an aluminium one. Look at brands like Sirui, Benro or if you are very tight, fancier.

3. There are a lot more camera models than Canon 550D and Nikon D90. Though that 2 models are excellent cameras, there are other excellent cameras out there. Looking at your budget, you should also consider the Pentax K-x (best value IMHO), Sony A500/550 and Nikon D5000.

4. Contrary to what you hear, not all current Canon lenses will fit all current Canon camera models. You can do a google on "Canon EFS lens compatibility" and you will get what I mean.

5. Contrary to what you hear, All Nikon lens in F mount from the late 70s till today will mount correctly on all current Nikon camera models. However, not all camera bodies will offer support for all the functions. For Ai, Ais lenses, they are all manual focus, and will only meter with D200, D300 and above. AF-D lenses will meter will all current bodies but will only support autofocus on D70, D80, D90 and above.

For your current use, I do not foresee much issues with lens compatibility if you go D90 or Canon 550D. If you go Nikon D5000, you will not be able to auto focus with some of the popular lenses like 50mm/1.8.

So there, I think that is a good enough overview for now. Feel free to ask more questions if any pop up.
    An even better write up~! Tua eh!
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast