Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations on a good PnS camera?

Default Recommendations on a good PnS camera?

Hi all,

I had been using a 4MP Canon Digital Ixus I (manufactured many, many years ago) and I would say it's a really good camera. However, due to some reasons, the battery had expanded and is unable to fit into the camera now. Sale of this 'antique' battery is no longer available and so my camera is considered 'useless'

Anyway, I have been looking for a good and affordable (preferably <$400) point-and-shoot camera but is unsure of what to buy. I have always been a great fan of Canon Ixus but the recent reviews of Canon Ixus series are not that fantastic.

Is there any recommendation on good PnS camera that's <$400? Thanks

Default Re: Recommendations on a good PnS camera?

Welcome to CS
    Take the shot!

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    1. Go to the shops like MS Color, Harvey norman, etc.
    2. Fondle and ogle at all the cameras in your budget.
    3. Narrow it down to the top 3 that you like best in terms of looks, UI, etc.
    4. Research for reviews and compare those models online.
    Alpha

Thanks madmartian!

Hi Rashkae, thanks for the advice. But there're just too many PnS cameras around, that's why I'm asking if there's anyone who can recommend a few better ones. Going to a shop and ogle at 3 nicest PnS cameras is like trying to find out which 3 DSLR is the nicest to ogle at, although all of them are black (minus away a few exceptions of white olympus, red/blue lumix, etc).

Thanks madmartian!

Hi Rashkae, thanks for the advice. But there're just too many PnS cameras around, that's why I'm asking if there's anyone who can recommend a few better ones. Going to a shop and ogle at 3 nicest PnS cameras is like trying to find out which 3 DSLR is the nicest to ogle at, although all of them are black (minus away a few exceptions of white olympus, red/blue lumix, etc).
    There's not that many under 400, and you can limit yourself to Canon, Sony and Panasonic, the current "big 3" in PnS cams. (FYI, the Canons use Sony sensors)
    Alpha

I am a fan of Fuji sensor...haha...any interest in Fuji? can take a look too? though I'm not sure about recent models/price...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Hi all,

I had been using a 4MP Canon Digital Ixus I (manufactured many, many years ago) and I would say it's a really good camera. However, due to some reasons, the battery had expanded and is unable to fit into the camera now. Sale of this 'antique' battery is no longer available and so my camera is considered 'useless'

Anyway, I have been looking for a good and affordable (preferably <$400) point-and-shoot camera but is unsure of what to buy. I have always been a great fan of Canon Ixus but the recent reviews of Canon Ixus series are not that fantastic.

currently in my opinion, Panasonic and Sony the Auto mode is very impressive.

**you want to be safe...look for cameras that use AA batteries.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Blog Entries

welcome!

Not sure if Canon PowerShot A720 IS 1st hand is below $400... but these series is rather good, if you don't mind a cheap plastic feel as compared to the metal feel which ixus give...

It is a good PnS cam, w some manual controls.

Hi all,

Like you...I'm also a great fan of canon. But...I recommend Fuji FinePix F200EXR. Cheap, good and light on the pocket. I'm using it for awhile now...instead of lugging around a heavy DSLR during walkabout.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

yeah.Fuji F200EXR. best in low light.

I will recommend Fuji F200exr too this is the best and cheapest all-rounder now. The notable thing about this camera is that it allows you to take nice indoor or low-lighting condition shots without using flash! no more harshly highlighted faces and objects!

get F31fd if u can find... I'm looking for my second one!
    Canon 550D

Quote Originally Posted by gareth View Post
    yeah.Fuji F200EXR. best in low light.
    Not anymore... Already overtaken by the newer canon and sony PnS.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Not anymore... Already overtaken by the newer canon and sony PnS.
    Which model huh? maybe im outdated... Like no hype over any new sony and canon.
    Canon 550D

Wow I've only knew FujiFilm F200EXR has this Protrait Enhancer mode which can help to 'auto-photoshop' people's complexion, and thought it's rather fun! I'm currently reading it's review online and so far, it's pretty good! Thanks guys!

but it has not HD video mode though

Quote Originally Posted by wenchuan View Post
    Which model huh? maybe im outdated... Like no hype over any new sony and canon.
    The newest models all use a quite good Exmor sensor.
    Alpha

but it has not HD video mode though
    Do you really need it? Will you always be watching video on a HD TV, or will you be recording it in a smaller format anyway to send to friends/relatives?
    Alpha

not sure how much the canon S90 is in singapore.. .but i got mine at about US369.

Its been giving me pretty decent pictures. Even the blues are pretty impressive... i'm a oly user... so i've always been a fan of CCD sensors...

Its small and compact and takes night shot pretty well. Takes nice night video as well
    P&S: Sony U20, Pana-leica FZ5, Canon S90, Pana DMC-T3
    SLR: Nikkor F60, Oly E-510, Oly E-5

TS can use the canon Privilege Purchase Program to get a discounted canon cam.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast