Thread: Calibration with KT Digital! Confused

Unhappy Calibration with KT Digital! Confused

I just started photography not too long ago, and encountered something which brought me ( and many others i assume ) to the topic of calibration. Basically, what I see is not what I get when I print!

Okay so anw, apparently KT digital gave out some proofs/spoofs to compare. They gave softcopy and hardcopy. They also gave a icc profile i think.

From what I understand, monitor calibration and printer output calibration is different? That's all i know. They are different. But i cannot grasp the concept >.<

Anyway, first thing i needed to do was to try to match the monitors colours, right?

According to the instructions given:
    1.must set gamma to 2.2 using adobe gamma first

firstly, adobe gamma outdated... then I'm not sure how to set gamma to 2.2 in windows 7 as the windows calibration asks to select a slider bar.

2. load/install the icc profile given

yup done. But i thought this was for the print output? I couldn't see any difference when i loaded it as the default one in windows.

3. adjust the colours to match the proof/spoof. This one buffles me. How to adjust? I'm using windows 7 and Nvidia. The control panel don't seem to have an R G B setting for me to adjust monitor output.

Please help out a confused guy here!

currently reading : http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/calibrating.htm

not sure how to apply with regards to KTDI's instructions!

Regards

Default Re: Calibration with KT Digital! Confused

hi

i will try to help a little here.

first of all, i didn't find much info on KT Digital... only managed to find a company that provides photo service...

anyway i assume they want u to calibrate your monitor by your eyes by tuning your monitor to match the soft copy to the hard copy..

i don't think setting gamma 2.2 will help... u just need to tune your monitor so they match.. this is known as monitor calibration - its purpose is to make sure your monitor is giving its best - which means being able to produce different tones, and color and enough contrast..

this answer your Q1.

as for the rest, i got no clue...

you can calibrate your printer by using some online service... they send u a jpg , u print it and send it to them, then they give u a profile of your printer...

anyway, all these profiling of monitor and printer is for correct color reproduction from your PC to printer.. it simply means your printout will look like what u r seeing on your monitor...

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    hi

i will try to help a little here.

first of all, i didn't find much info on KT Digital... only managed to find a company that provides photo service...

anyway i assume they want u to calibrate your monitor by your eyes by tuning your monitor to match the soft copy to the hard copy..

i don't think setting gamma 2.2 will help... u just need to tune your monitor so they match.. this is known as monitor calibration - its purpose is to make sure your monitor is giving its best - which means being able to produce different tones, and color and enough contrast..

this answer your Q1.

as for the rest, i got no clue...

you can calibrate your printer by using some online service... they send u a jpg , u print it and send it to them, then they give u a profile of your printer...

anyway, all these profiling of monitor and printer is for correct color reproduction from your PC to printer.. it simply means your printout will look like what u r seeing on your monitor...
    I see, thanks i roughly understand. Anyway, the instructions were

1.Go control panel, click on adobe gamma

2.Load KTDI colour profile

3. Set gamme value to 2.20

4. Set white Point(Temp) to 6500 K

AFTER SETTING THESE VALUES, USE PHOTOS PROVIDED TO MATCH YOUR MONITOR's COLOUR.

IF COLOURS DO NOT MATCH, DO SOME FINE TUNING USING THE MONITOR'S COLOUR CONTROL.

Yup. I can't set gamma. So what about White Point? I can't find the option in nvidia panel or control panel to set ><

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ang View Post
    I see, thanks i roughly understand. Anyway, the instructions were

1.Go control panel, click on adobe gamma

2.Load KTDI colour profile

3. Set gamme value to 2.20

4. Set white Point(Temp) to 6500 K

AFTER SETTING THESE VALUES, USE PHOTOS PROVIDED TO MATCH YOUR MONITOR's COLOUR.

IF COLOURS DO NOT MATCH, DO SOME FINE TUNING USING THE MONITOR'S COLOUR CONTROL.

Yup. I can't set gamma. So what about White Point? I can't find the option in nvidia panel or control panel to set ><

Cheers!

hi

actually adobe gamma is no longer present in PS CS since a few version ago...

anyway i don't have it, so i can't advise.

but if you are using laptop, i guess u cannot set white point... if u use a LCd panel, then likely u can set white and black point, set gamma, set alot of stuff like RGB...

u wanna print ur photo? if not, don't border lah... better spend time learning other stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    hi

actually adobe gamma is no longer present in PS CS since a few version ago...

anyway i don't have it, so i can't advise.

but if you are using laptop, i guess u cannot set white point... if u use a LCd panel, then likely u can set white and black point, set gamma, set alot of stuff like RGB...

u wanna print ur photo? if not, don't border lah... better spend time learning other stuff...

Ya i wanna print

that's why first time try i realised need to do such things..so must get it right.
    else all the editing..when print out also not hte same waste effort haha!

From what I understand, monitor calibration and printer output calibration is different? That's all i know. They are different. But i cannot grasp the concept >.<
    there are many reasons why they are different.

first of all, monitor work in RGB, printing is done in CMYK.

different color space. more information: http://www.impressionsinprint.ca/cmyk-vs-rgb.php

what you see on your monitor is usually much brighter.

i suggest that you buy a reputable monitor calibration device. that saves the trouble for a lot of things, and if you print at a reputable lab, your colors will be quite close - only need to adjust brightness of photo.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    there are many reasons why they are different.

first of all, monitor work in RGB, printing is done in CMYK.

different color space. more information: http://www.impressionsinprint.ca/cmyk-vs-rgb.php

what you see on your monitor is usually much brighter.

i suggest that you buy a reputable monitor calibration device. that saves the trouble for a lot of things, and if you print at a reputable lab, your colors will be quite close - only need to adjust brightness of photo.
    I think i'll borrow from my friend's friend when he comes back.

Yeah i noticed. my print looked darker overall when it came out - advisable to tweak down the brightness then?

I think i'll borrow from my friend's friend when he comes back.

Yeah i noticed. my print looked darker overall when it came out - advisable to tweak down the brightness then?
    you mean tweak up.

yes, as to how much, i do not know.

you can always ka cheow clown via pm to reply to this thread.. he would know more about such things.

you mean tweak up.

yes, as to how much, i do not know.

you can always ka cheow clown via pm to reply to this thread.. he would know more about such things.
    tweak up? hmm..confused.

monitor : print

Brighter : Darker

to match print must set the monitor abit darker? no? Haha okay i shall ka cheow clown..probably need to print a batch next week need to confirm they all turn out okay!

Thanks thanks

tweak up? hmm..confused.

monitor : print

Brighter : Darker

to match print must set the monitor abit darker? no? Haha okay i shall ka cheow clown..probably need to print a batch next week need to confirm they all turn out okay!

Thanks thanks
    oh.. you meant tweak the monitor down.

don't need la, so dark how to edit pictures.. just brighten up your PHOTO a bit before you send for printing.

oh.. you meant tweak the monitor down.

don't need la, so dark how to edit pictures.. just brighten up your PHOTO a bit before you send for printing.
    Does make sense..will make a mental note haha!!