Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: US airport restrictions?

  1. #1

    Default US airport restrictions?

    Hi,

    Anybody been to the US lately? are the airport checks or immigration/customs strict
    when people bring in DSLR gear and laptop? I am planing to bring backpack with DSLR + 2 small
    lenses and 15" laptop during the flight. I was wondering if they are strict when it comes
    to hand luggage now especially with electronics. Would appreciate any input.
    Thanks!

    chris

  2. #2

    Default Re: US airport restrictions?

    Hi.
    Just make sure you don't carry pirated IT softwares/ e.g. your laptop OS and any other IT items. You might end up going back on the next plane.
    Cheers.
    Will

  3. #3

    Default Re: US airport restrictions?

    Quote Originally Posted by willbegood View Post
    Hi.
    Just make sure you don't carry pirated IT softwares/ e.g. your laptop OS and any other IT items. You might end up going back on the next plane.
    Cheers.
    Will
    thanks. do they actually open your laptop and check all the softwares inside?

  4. #4

    Default Re: US airport restrictions?

    Some customs do and some don't. They have Intellectual Property Laws and your laptop must have the original OS. Even pirated DVDs and similar items are not allowed. Chances are you'd be denied entry even if you already have a valid entry visa if caught.

  5. #5
    Member Starcrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North-East
    Posts
    102

    Default Re: US airport restrictions?

    thanks. do they actually open your laptop and check all the softwares inside?
    What I have encountered in some airports is that they will asked me to switch on the laptop. Once you have done that, they will say ok and let you go.

  6. #6

    Default Re: US airport restrictions?

    Could be different story in a US airport. Better be safe than sorry.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East
    Posts
    293

    Default Re: US airport restrictions?

    They normally power up the laptop to verify whether you carried a working laptop, and immediately they will power down. May be for some security problem or drug smuggling issue on a dummy laptop ...

  8. #8

    Default Re: US airport restrictions?

    Thanks! okay, my laptop is pretty much clean anyhow, how about for my DSLR? would they be strict in bringing that in?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East
    Posts
    293

    Default Re: US airport restrictions?

    Quote Originally Posted by drakul007 View Post
    Thanks! okay, my laptop is pretty much clean anyhow, how about for my DSLR? would they be strict in bringing that in?
    They don't check your DSLR. However, make sure you have all metal items like coins, keys, put into the plastic tray provided for scanning.
    You need to get thru' the detector door successfully so that you don't get held up for special checking.
    Also keep an eye on the camera bag ; make sure nobody else takes your bag if you don't get thru' successfully and need to go for special screening.

    The best is to get your friend to check in first before you.

  10. #10
    Senior Member fatigue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Blk138 Bedok North Ave3
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: US airport restrictions?

    I'm not sure if it's my looks or my passport, but everytime I check-in, it's special screening.

    I heard even those imitation clothes and bags are not allowed.
    Last edited by fatigue; 14th May 2010 at 06:32 PM.
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

  11. #11
    Member dingaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore | East
    Posts
    1,950

    Default Re: US airport restrictions?

    Wah, if my name was Silviu Ionescu, will they still stop me?
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cambridge, Massachusetts
    Posts
    631

    Default Re: US airport restrictions?

    just take your laptop out during security screening process. also applies to ipads. just flew in last week.

  13. #13
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: US airport restrictions?

    Quote Originally Posted by drakul007 View Post
    Hi,

    Anybody been to the US lately? are the airport checks or immigration/customs strict
    when people bring in DSLR gear and laptop? I am planing to bring backpack with DSLR + 2 small
    lenses and 15" laptop during the flight. I was wondering if they are strict when it comes
    to hand luggage now especially with electronics. Would appreciate any input.
    Thanks!

    chris
    Quote Originally Posted by drakul007 View Post
    thanks. do they actually open your laptop and check all the softwares inside?
    Quote Originally Posted by drakul007 View Post
    Thanks! okay, my laptop is pretty much clean anyhow, how about for my DSLR? would they be strict in bringing that in?
    Quote Originally Posted by fatigue View Post
    I'm not sure if it's my looks or my passport, but everytime I check-in, it's special screening.

    I heard even those imitation clothes and bags are not allowed.
    I just came back from conference in NY and had this to say:
    Don't ever have pirated software in your laptop. Don't ever have nude or soft porn pictures or videos in your laptop. Don't ever have videos in your laptop you can't explain e.g. youtube videos of you know the name.

    Your DSLR must be working. They may check your CF/SDHC card. Anything suspicious and you can't explain, you may risk your stuff confiscated and worse, being detain by Homeland Security Agents without a possible chance of bail.


    This happened to one traveller travelling on the same flight. Hope you don't make the same error.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cambridge, Massachusetts
    Posts
    631

    Default Re: US airport restrictions?

    people relax, the TSA has better things to do than to check your laptop for pirate software. seriously, they're more worried about you carrying fluids onboard exceeding 100ml than what's installed on your lappy.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East
    Posts
    293

    Default Re: US airport restrictions?

    The only bad experience I had was during the time of checking out. I hit the random jackpot as they took my baggage to one side; turn my baggage up side down and pour everything out for inspection. I was stuck there for at least one hour.

  16. #16
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: US airport restrictions?

    Quote Originally Posted by slacker123 View Post
    people relax, the TSA has better things to do than to check your laptop for pirate software. seriously, they're more worried about you carrying fluids onboard exceeding 100ml than what's installed on your lappy.

    When I landed in JFK, one other person travelling with me to the same conference happen to be from Egypt. His laptop was confiscated becos he could not explain the presence of photos of his "friends" in balaclava. He could only claim them when he leaves the country.

    Mine was uneventful except that I was called aside to check my laptop. They just turn it on and then turn off. The same goes for the DSLR.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  17. #17
    Senior Member fatigue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Blk138 Bedok North Ave3
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: US airport restrictions?

    Quote Originally Posted by kutten View Post
    The only bad experience I had was during the time of checking out. I hit the random jackpot as they took my baggage to one side; turn my baggage up side down and pour everything out for inspection. I was stuck there for at least one hour.
    4 times I checked-in, went thru the same ordeal. And they say it's random
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East
    Posts
    293

    Default Re: US airport restrictions?

    Quote Originally Posted by fatigue View Post
    4 times I checked-in, went thru the same ordeal. And they say it's random
    what a lucky person you are ! You should try the local casino for your luck

  19. #19

    Default Re: US airport restrictions?

    Quote Originally Posted by kutten View Post
    The only bad experience I had was during the time of checking out. I hit the random jackpot as they took my baggage to one side; turn my baggage up side down and pour everything out for inspection. I was stuck there for at least one hour.
    Wow, how much hand-carry luggage you got?

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cambridge, Massachusetts
    Posts
    631

    Default Re: US airport restrictions?

    Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post

    When I landed in JFK, one other person travelling with me to the same conference happen to be from Egypt. His laptop was confiscated becos he could not explain the presence of photos of his "friends" in balaclava. He could only claim them when he leaves the country.

    Mine was uneventful except that I was called aside to check my laptop. They just turn it on and then turn off. The same goes for the DSLR.
    well, he's coming from Egypt. HELLO? did you know about the "enhanced screening measures" for folks from 14 different countries that was dropped last week. Please lah. Quit freaking out. Singapore Passport = No Worries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •