Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: The sensor dust that NSC failed to totally clean up...

  1. #1

    Default The sensor dust that NSC failed to totally clean up...

    A week ago I posted a thread exhorting the advantages of self-cleaning your DSLR sensor. I thought I did a good job of cleaning my own sensor (D90 user here) but some of the specks just aren't easy to remove. So I did the inevitable and headed to NSC to get it cleaned by the pros.

    But when I got home and ran the "white-paper" tests I noticed that they didn't get rid of all the specks. Is there any "warranty" of sorts when it comes to sensor cleaning?
    avidbirder.net|Nikon Coolpix P520|

  2. #2
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: The sensor dust that NSC failed to totally clean up...

    There isn't much anyone can do in sensor cleanup, if you have stubborn dust that sticks like glue no one can help you... why don't you go and have it re-cleaned and show them where is the spot that is bugging you. You have to be realistic that there are only so much anyone can do really. So next time when you change lens, be mindful of the environment.

    ../azul123

  3. #3
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: The sensor dust that NSC failed to totally clean up...

    you should check there and than..

    there is no 100% clean, spotless sensor in the first place,
    we just keep it to a level within acceptable,


    anyway, you can go back to them, telling them they have missed some spots
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  4. #4

    Default Re: The sensor dust that NSC failed to totally clean up...

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    There isn't much anyone can do in sensor cleanup, if you have stubborn dust that sticks like glue no one can help you... why don't you go and have it re-cleaned and show them where is the spot that is bugging you. You have to be realistic that there are only so much anyone can do really. So next time when you change lens, be mindful of the environment.

    ../azul123
    yes, they can replace the filter.

  5. #5
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: The sensor dust that NSC failed to totally clean up...

    Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    yes, they can replace the filter.
    Cleaning and Changing different thing altogether leh... might cost more also.

    ../azul123

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: The sensor dust that NSC failed to totally clean up...

    Quote Originally Posted by cottonbuds2005 View Post
    A week ago I posted a thread exhorting the advantages of self-cleaning your DSLR sensor. I thought I did a good job of cleaning my own sensor (D90 user here) but some of the specks just aren't easy to remove. So I did the inevitable and headed to NSC to get it cleaned by the pros.

    But when I got home and ran the "white-paper" tests I noticed that they didn't get rid of all the specks. Is there any "warranty" of sorts when it comes to sensor cleaning?
    Yes, I have 2 friends who experienced the same thing, just go back and let them know they didn't do a good job.

  7. #7
    Member papajanggo33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    rustic but charming hougang
    Posts
    898

    Default Re: The sensor dust that NSC failed to totally clean up...

    dust is inevitable. agreed with earlier post, you've got to practice the technique(s) of changing lens or handling the body so as not to expose it to dusty environment. it may not be fully cleaned after the 2nd atempt, so my advice, live with it.

    as long it doesn't show up in your pics, it's ok
    Fun in photography is inFinity
    My Flickr

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: The sensor dust that NSC failed to totally clean up...

    Probably a good thing to do is to highlight to them about the location at where those stubborn dust are at, so that the technicians have a better idea. Sometimes it's hard to identify which part of the sensor has dust on it especially when you look at gazilion sensors daily ( kidding ).

    Also you might want to check on the spot after the cleaning... not implying anything but dust you saw may be caused after the sensor cleaning else where.

  9. #9

    Default Re: The sensor dust that NSC failed to totally clean up...

    Thank you all for the advice...
    avidbirder.net|Nikon Coolpix P520|

  10. #10

    Default Re: The sensor dust that NSC failed to totally clean up...

    Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    yes, they can replace the filter.
    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Cleaning and Changing different thing altogether leh... might cost more also.

    ../azul123

    I had a similar situation, sensor cleaning could not remove a particular spot
    I had to change the low-pass filter , warranty over, had to pay

  11. #11

    Default Re: The sensor dust that NSC failed to totally clean up...

    Just a little sidetrack... if your warranty's over, how much does it cost to do clean up at NSC? Any alternative than NSC?
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  12. #12

    Default Re: The sensor dust that NSC failed to totally clean up...

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    Just a little sidetrack... if your warranty's over, how much does it cost to do clean up at NSC? Any alternative than NSC?
    cleaning is not included in the warranty, you need to pay. BTW cleaning sensor in not rocket science, just do it yourself.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: The sensor dust that NSC failed to totally clean up...

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    Just a little sidetrack... if your warranty's over, how much does it cost to do clean up at NSC? Any alternative than NSC?
    I think it was $22, its the same price in and out of warranty.

  14. #14

    Default Re: The sensor dust that NSC failed to totally clean up...

    Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    cleaning is not included in the warranty, you need to pay. BTW cleaning sensor in not rocket science, just do it yourself.
    i tried, end up more dust bunnies and particles stuck in it. My current room very dusty due to the constructions outside. Sigh... i think $22 is ok, once in a while thing. I realize there's a thin line running down from the center, in certain mode of the camera...strange.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  15. #15

    Default Re: The sensor dust that NSC failed to totally clean up...

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    i tried, end up more dust bunnies and particles stuck in it. My current room very dusty due to the constructions outside. Sigh... i think $22 is ok, once in a while thing. I realize there's a thin line running down from the center, in certain mode of the camera...strange.
    Is it a thin black line running to the focus point when seen through the viewfinder?

  16. #16

    Default Re: The sensor dust that NSC failed to totally clean up...

    Quote Originally Posted by Timolol View Post
    Is it a thin black line running to the focus point when seen through the viewfinder?
    Yes!
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  17. #17

    Default Re: The sensor dust that NSC failed to totally clean up...

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    i tried, end up more dust bunnies and particles stuck in it. My current room very dusty due to the constructions outside. Sigh... i think $22 is ok, once in a while thing. I realize there's a thin line running down from the center, in certain mode of the camera...strange.
    btw make sure you bring along a lens when you collect the camera so that you can test on the spot. Go near the window and shoot the sky at f22, my guess is that you will still see dust spots.

    I still prefer DIY with scotch tape.

  18. #18

    Default Re: The sensor dust that NSC failed to totally clean up...

    Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    btw make sure you bring along a lens when you collect the camera so that you can test on the spot. Go near the window and shoot the sky at f22, my guess is that you will still see dust spots.

    I still prefer DIY with scotch tape.
    u mean sticking on the censor? wont that leave residue?

    so far i used Dust Off...quite effective. No side effects right?
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  19. #19
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: The sensor dust that NSC failed to totally clean up...

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    i tried, end up more dust bunnies and particles stuck in it. My current room very dusty due to the constructions outside. Sigh... i think $22 is ok, once in a while thing. I realize there's a thin line running down from the center, in certain mode of the camera...strange.
    I'm too lazy to go down to NSC all the way from Punggol, so I bought this
    LensPen SensorKlear Loupe Kit w/SensorKlear II, can use it as and when I needed.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  20. #20

    Default Re: The sensor dust that NSC failed to totally clean up...

    erm... the dust in my cam are on the sensor itself.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •