Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Final Launch Of Space Shuttle Atlantis (OV-104)

Default Re: Final Launch Of Space Shuttle Atlantis (OV-104)

Radio comm chatter indicate a possible constraint to launch due to some lost and found ball bearing from a space shuttle camera system at the T-9 minutes and holding mark?
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

All systems is go with no constraint to launch.

Godspeed, Atlantis.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 15th May 2010 at 02:09 AM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Successful liftoff of STS-132, 2 more remaining flights before the Space Shuttle fleet retires.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 19th May 2010 at 03:18 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Hi 9V,

I think you are the right person who can provide me with an accurate answer to my doubts ( or wild imagination ).

Let's say with our current " space age technology " our human race space shuttle is able to fly non stop thro one light year's distance to some other end of the galaxy and to gather the truth of the universe and then fly non stop returning ( another light year's of distance).

What will be the difference, from the moment of lift off till the return after two light years of flying, say from now, year 2010 and by the space shuttle touch down on Earth, what will be the year ? Really curious about it.

Thanks and Regards.

Have no fear, the Soyuz's (still) here!

Well, even if the Ares / Orion doesn't come through, at least we've got the privateers still SpaceX we can look out for. As for Low Orbit Shuttles, im looking forward to the revival of the Buran Soviet Shuttle..

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    Hi 9V,

I think you are the right person who can provide me with an accurate answer to my doubts ( or wild imagination ).

Let's say with our current " space age technology " our human race space shuttle is able to fly non stop thro one light year's distance to some other end of the galaxy and to gather the truth of the universe and then fly non stop returning ( another light year's of distance).

What will be the difference, from the moment of lift off till the return after two light years of flying, say from now, year 2010 and by the space shuttle touch down on Earth, what will be the year ? Really curious about it.

Thanks and Regards.
    Assuming I got your question right, the spacecraft or space shuttle will take a period of approximately 35,244 years to make the round trip of 2 light years with a constant velocity of 61,455.60 km/h (figure conveniently based on the latest weekly Voyager program report) relative to the Sun thus the spacecraft or space shuttle will only return in the year 37,254 AD.

Just to put this into perspective, the nearest star to us, Proxima Centauri, is approximately 4.24 light years away and the Milky Way is 100,000 light years in diameter with the nearest spiral galaxy, Andromeda, 2,500,000 light years away.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 19th May 2010 at 07:00 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Like I'd guess, you're the right person and thanks for the quick reply.

That means my doubts is a little clearer now, as...

unless we are able to travel at the speed of light or faster ( Einstein says possible, right, hope I got the spelling correct ) otherwise the truth of universe will always be guessworks or remains a myth.
    Even ( an assumtion ) if the crew of the space craft is able live long enough to return to Earth safely and able to bring back valuable information about space, but there will be no body that they could know to receive them.
    And, all these earthlings could have been gone back to stone age cave men and they shall view the return ( arrival ) of these former Earthling as GOD descending from space. ( there goes my another wild imagination ).
    To be able to travel in such a long distance and time, our current bio-physical form has to change to adapt.

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by cabbySHE; 20th May 2010 at 01:36 AM.

Another imagined scenario...

year 37,254 A.D. ( why A.D. ?)
    spacecraft returned to Earth after long journey...Hey Captain, it's a totally different Earth when we left in 2010.
    Welcome home, yes you guys had been gone for a long time. Why, it's totally different ?
    Ya sure, remember the judgement day ? They say they will be back, and they did, about five years you guys had left. They are here to judge on our progress, not to punish us. They found we are too slow, and had given us important laser edge technology , and now we are almost on par with them. Sorry folks for spending such long time on the assignment, anyway this vintage craft can be retired and go to the junk yard, we have better one now, come I'll show you. Story end.

Like I'd guess, you're the right person and thanks for the quick reply.

That means my doubts is a little clearer now, as...

unless we are able to travel at the speed of light or faster ( Einstein says possible, right, hope I got the spelling correct ) otherwise the truth of universe will always be guessworks or remains a myth.
    Even ( an assumtion ) if the crew of the space craft is able live long enough to return to Earth safely and able to bring back valuable information about space, but there will be no body that they could know to receive them.
    And, all these earthlings could have been gone back to stone age cave men and they shall view the return ( arrival ) of these former Earthling as GOD descending from space. ( there goes my another wild imagination ).
    To be able to travel in such a long distance and time, our current bio-physical form has to change to adapt.

Thanks a lot.
    I am no physicist but according to Albert Einstein's special theory of relativity (which part of it you might be familiar with through the equation E = mc2), faster than light space travel beyond the light speed barrier is actually impossible though the spacetime continuum itself can be manipulated in many different ways.
    Another imagined scenario...

year 37,254 A.D. ( why A.D. ?)
    spacecraft returned to Earth after long journey...Hey Captain, it's a totally different Earth when we left in 2010.
    Welcome home, yes you guys had been gone for a long time. Why, it's totally different ?
    Ya sure, remember the judgement day ? They say they will be back, and they did, about five years you guys had left. They are here to judge on our progress, not to punish us. They found we are too slow, and had given us important laser edge technology , and now we are almost on par with them. Sorry folks for spending such long time on the assignment, anyway this vintage craft can be retired and go to the junk yard, we have better one now, come I'll show you. Story end.
    Albert Einstein once said...
    "I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Thanks for words of wisdom.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12