Thread: Seven Levels of Photographers

Default Seven Levels of Photographers

Fun reading.
    Hope this is not a repeat from another posting here.

The Seven Levels of Photographers

Happy snapping
    Trigger

Hmmmmm ....probably I classified myself in level 5 and a bit of level 4 ...
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Make that a repeat from not so long ago..

Cool

Read that a year ago. Very interesting and enlightening.
    Hope I am between level 4 and 5.

I don't know which i am because:-

1) I don't own good cameras (a consumer digital and an ancient pentax) or any form of equipment - only a cheap tripod. neither am i rich enough to.

2) I don't take good pictures, can't visualize or compose properly. extremely prone to over/under exposure.

3) I can't sell my photographs even if i pay money to sell them..

how, like dat?

what about 3 stages of photography?

First Stage 见山是山,见水是水
    Well, an apology to people who do not understand Chinese. The eight Chinese charatcters above mean a mountain will appear as nothing more than a mountain in our eyes, I am referring to the beginners in photography. A stream will appear as nothing more than a stream. At this stage, we take a fairly direct view on what we see. The pictures we take carry mainly what we see. Our picture does not convey any message. Photographers at this stage may have gained a good amount of knowledge, skills, know a lot about the camera equipments and stuffs. We tend to shoot more pictures than we used to.

Second Stage 见山不是山,见水不是水
    However, as the amount of pictures taken increases, we may find hollowness in our pictures. We have a feeling that something is missing in our picture but we have no idea what is missing. We are ready to explore more as we gain more experience in photography. We are not happy with what is captured by our camera lens. We will feel confused and helpless. We will find that our pictures have nothing different from others. We are trying hard to break down the barrier. According to Mr Kwek, few people fear of taking their cameras out, worried that they will be disappointed again. Their excitement and passion no longer exist.

Third Stage 见山还是山,见水还是水
    To overcome what we have gone through in Stage II, we may have to realize that taking a good picture is not by means of good equipment. This point have been emphasized by both Mr Kwek and Professor Koh. What we think to be important in Stage I or II is no longer a concern for us. Mr Kwek finally concluded that taking picture with out heart, and our picture would be outstanding.

-Mr Kwek Leng Joo -

"Amateurs almost always shoot Canon SLRs."

aaahhahahahah. it's a very good article, lovely writing

i'm not even gonna bother going on about which stage i belong to. that's entirely subjective to each and his or her own

Quote Originally Posted by zodnm
    Mr Kwek finally concluded that taking picture with out heart, and our picture would be outstanding.

-Mr Kwek Leng Joo -
    It should be taking picture with OUR heart .....
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Thumbs up

a morale boasting side for newbies like me
    I dont have much technical knowledge on photography, however i do believe that if the photograph looks "meaningful" or it seems to have a story to tell, i'll consider that a good photograph, and to the photographer.

Like what you said - shoot with the heart.
    but more often then not, we over analyse our shoots - what we take - how we compose etc.

the only way to shoot with the heart - to me at least - is to be proficient with technical aspects of photography that you feel the moment and shoot to capture or create a mood that evokes emotions with those who view your photos.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG
    It should be taking picture with OUR heart .....