Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Will this piece of new technology replace DSLRs?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Of This Sunny Island
    Posts
    132

    Default Will this piece of new technology replace DSLRs?

    i suppose most of us here should have caught wind of the new Sony NEX series, the camera that size of a compact camera but with a crop sensor.

    i was just discussing it with my OC today, him being photo crazy as well but not wanting to lug something as big as a DSLR around.

    His view is that, this technology will replace DSLRs in the near future, my view is that DSLR makers will probably adapt to the new technology, DSLRs with no mirror box?


    What say you?
    Canon EOS 550D
    Passion will make you crazy, but is there any other way to live?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: Will this piece of new technology replace DSLRs?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnZee View Post
    i suppose most of us here should have caught wind of the new Sony NEX series, the camera that size of a compact camera but with a crop sensor.

    i was just discussing it with my OC today, him being photo crazy as well but not wanting to lug something as big as a DSLR around.

    His view is that, this technology will replace DSLRs in the near future, my view is that DSLR makers will probably adapt to the new technology, DSLRs with no mirror box?


    What say you?
    I don't think so lah. Think about cameras in the past. Compact cameras, rangefinders and slrs existed side by side although they all used 35mm film.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Will this piece of new technology replace DSLRs?

    no, nothing beats a viewfinder when it comes to "immediate response"

    and maybe the sony nex cameras will be a good replacement when you don't want to carry a dslr around, but i suspect their handling will be awkward in comparison to a full-fledged dslr.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Of This Sunny Island
    Posts
    132

    Default Re: Will this piece of new technology replace DSLRs?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    no, nothing beats a viewfinder when it comes to "immediate response"

    and maybe the sony nex cameras will be a good replacement when you don't want to carry a dslr around, but i suspect their handling will be awkward in comparison to a full-fledged dslr.

    and if you mount a flash on, you have to make do without the viewfinder, cause it's mounted onto the same hotshoe. the lenses are not the common mount too! it's gonna be it's own unique mount. hm...
    Canon EOS 550D
    Passion will make you crazy, but is there any other way to live?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Will this piece of new technology replace DSLRs?

    Which sony has compact body and a crop sensor? Is it out yet?
    I have a near-mint Olympus E-620 Underwater Case for Sale. PM me for a great deal!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bkt Timah
    Posts
    190

    Default Re: Will this piece of new technology replace DSLRs?

    Well IMO unless there's a technology that drastically reduces lens size (especially large aperture zooms), there's no point having a compact body with APS-C sensor since the lens size is still pretty huge
    Nikon D90 | Flickr

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    big tree town
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: Will this piece of new technology replace DSLRs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oly5050 View Post
    Which sony has compact body and a crop sensor? Is it out yet?
    check out the NEX3 and NEX5 dude!
    cameras are not made of tofu

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bkt Timah
    Posts
    190

    Default Re: Will this piece of new technology replace DSLRs?

    Besides, I still prefer optical viewfinder over electronic viewfinder anytime
    Nikon D90 | Flickr

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    big tree town
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: Will this piece of new technology replace DSLRs?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnZee View Post
    i suppose most of us here should have caught wind of the new Sony NEX series, the camera that size of a compact camera but with a crop sensor.

    i was just discussing it with my OC today, him being photo crazy as well but not wanting to lug something as big as a DSLR around.

    His view is that, this technology will replace DSLRs in the near future, my view is that DSLR makers will probably adapt to the new technology, DSLRs with no mirror box?

    What say you?
    yes i think so too. but i don't think it will be within these couple of years.
    cameras are not made of tofu

  10. #10

    Default Re: Will this piece of new technology replace DSLRs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oly5050 View Post
    Which sony has compact body and a crop sensor? Is it out yet?
    you are slow......

    http://dpreview.com/news/1005/10051102sonynex.asp

  11. #11

    Default Re: Will this piece of new technology replace DSLRs?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlvinOMG View Post
    Well IMO unless there's a technology that drastically reduces lens size (especially large aperture zooms), there's no point having a compact body with APS-C sensor since the lens size is still pretty huge
    well, the sony new cameras or any of the micro 4/3 with pancake lens, will be on par with a compact camera... just that you get a fixed focal length.

    it's still a viable option though.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Of This Sunny Island
    Posts
    132

    Default Re: Will this piece of new technology replace DSLRs?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlvinOMG View Post
    Besides, I still prefer optical viewfinder over electronic viewfinder anytime
    it's not an EVF, it's optical.
    Canon EOS 550D
    Passion will make you crazy, but is there any other way to live?

  13. #13
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: Will this piece of new technology replace DSLRs?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnZee View Post
    it's not an EVF, it's optical.
    Please help us to find the optical viewfinder
    http://dpreview.com/news/1005/10051102sonynex.asp
    EOS

  14. #14

    Default Re: Will this piece of new technology replace DSLRs?

    Hmmm

    Not sure but if the IQ is good, I believe it may take away a sizable portion of the current entry DSLRs market.

    I wun mind carrying it with a UWA as a 2nd cam to complement my DSLR with a tele zoom range. That way will avoid changing lens and miss less shots, some CSers carry 2 cams 1 wide + 1 tele. (Think Adrewine does)

    But handling & ergonomics prob wud be the litmus test for success of this "new" segment.




    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    no, nothing beats a viewfinder when it comes to "immediate response"

    and maybe the sony nex cameras will be a good replacement when you don't want to carry a dslr around, but i suspect their handling will be awkward in comparison to a full-fledged dslr.
    Btw does it make a big difference using viewfinder ? Is it becos of faster response time to catch the "magic moment" ? or easier to compose ?

    This had been a big issue for me. Been struggling with the viewfinder myself and not sure if it is becos I hv a left master eye ???

  15. #15

    Default Re: Will this piece of new technology replace DSLRs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Justintime View Post


    Btw does it make a big difference using viewfinder ? Is it becos of faster response time to catch the "magic moment" ? or easier to compose ?

    This had been a big issue for me. Been struggling with the viewfinder myself and not sure if it is becos I hv a left master eye ???
    well i haven't seen new age EVF

    back when i was using prosumer in 07, there was a significant lag. add that to prosumer shutter lag...

    any evf will not be as bright as an optical viewfinder, i dare say.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Will this piece of new technology replace DSLRs?

    this EVIL camera will mean more dust sticking to the sensor, bcos the sensor got to be working whenever the e viewfinder is showing the scene... more power consumption...

    and if the size is like a compact camera, handling will be bad...

    and the fact that u r not looking thru a optical viewfinder means bad handling too.. bcos u r holding the camera with outstetched hand, not close to your face.. hence support is not really there...

  17. #17

    Default Re: Will this piece of new technology replace DSLRs?

    A bit underwhelmed by the Sony offerings - was hoping for an EVF - any kind - optical would be better but unrealistic, image stabilization and a slightly fatter body to hold on to LOL. It looks kinda thin to hold but time will tell as I havnt touched this baby yet. Oly and Panasonic have got it almost right - size wise they just need to incoperate either an optical viewfinder or at least a built in electronic viewfinder with a rangefinder form factor.They both are close right now. And oh IS would be nice if it were in body - can use all those manual focus lenses at slower shutter speeds. Good first step I think but not a winner to bring the Oly and Panna crowd over.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Will this piece of new technology replace DSLRs?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    well i haven't seen new age EVF

    back when i was using prosumer in 07, there was a significant lag. add that to prosumer shutter lag...

    any evf will not be as bright as an optical viewfinder, i dare say.
    I see thxs !!

  19. #19

    Default Re: Will this piece of new technology replace DSLRs?

    Optical veiwfinder available, but seems to be in replacement of the "hotshoe" for flash



    "Designed for use with α NEX-3 and NEX-5 cameras, this optical viewfinder provides more accurate framing and composition of your shots. "


    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666192668

  20. #20

    Default Re: Will this piece of new technology replace DSLRs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Justintime View Post
    Optical veiwfinder available, but seems to be in replacement of the "hotshoe" for flash



    "Designed for use with α NEX-3 and NEX-5 cameras, this optical viewfinder provides more accurate framing and composition of your shots. "


    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666192668
    do note that the optical viewfinder will be likely to only work with a prime, in this case i'm wagering it's the 16? mm pancake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •