Thread: Cat says, "what are you doing?"

Default Cat says, "what are you doing?"

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    composition and lighting

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    i want to improve my animal picture taking methods (?) i want to be able to express their cuteness/animalistic expression.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    in my room, under the normal light (i dnt know, is it considered tungsten?) using 50mm f1.8
    was testing out my camera and my cat has a lot of facial expression, wanting to capture one of them. and what i got is a 'sian' looking picture/'what you doing' kind of. (the right ear got cut of a little not a lot actually, because my cat is formerly a stray and her ear got cut off as marking) btw, its my first dslr - 550D. and it hasnt been PP-ed, except for a little cut of from the right side of the photo and re-sizing.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    by looking at the picture, does it seems like she is staring at you? could you guess what 'she might have felt' ? and please comment any other parts that you think should be improved on. Thank you.

550D/18-135mm/50mmf1.8mII(http://www.flickr.com/photos/noorahikari)

Default Re: Cat says, "what are you doing?"

Quote Originally Posted by HyperHikari View Post

The yellow light is super distracting. Have seen some pictures where the cat is cute, this one looks a little evil. When I saw what are you doing, I was thinking of a blondish furry kitten, twisting its head to the side with soft lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by tkmtkm View Post
    The yellow light is super distracting. Have seen some pictures where the cat is cute, this one looks a little evil. When I saw what are you doing, I was thinking of a blondish furry kitten, twisting its head to the side with soft lighting.
    ahahah. you are right though... she did look evil here. ahhh... maybe a different tagline next time. and yeah that yellow light is distracting. didnt rly notice it much till u mentioned it. thx!
    550D/18-135mm/50mmf1.8mII(http://www.flickr.com/photos/noorahikari)

Personally, I feel that the lens (50mm f1.8 mII?) shouldn't be stopped down.

The "yellow light" as pointed out, looks very distracting. Maybe you can remove it in pp?

Also, the image can do with more sharpening of the eyes. Other than that, the crop looks too tight.

Looking at this pic reminds me that I have a photo of a cat doing a similar expression too actually.

cat doesn't look evil. it really does have that kind of expression as if it caught you doing something stupid and it's exasperate with you. i think you don't really have to stereotype cuteness to something orange and fluffy- each cat has it's own personality and character. just keep practicing and keep taking animals. =)