Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 64

Thread: Pentax K-X questions

  1. #1

    Question Pentax K-X questions

    Hi guys,

    a newbie here.

    i have been reading up on the K-x through a review site. and also read a few here about it too. I'm planning to get the dual kit with the 50-200mm lens from SLR Rev.

    really new to photography, and this will be my first take at DSLRs. did some readings about photography but still confused with the technology, ins and outs of the DSLR macine.

    with these opinion I've tread (and a few thinkings and imaginings), i think it would be a personal hassle for me to switch between the two lenses. so I am contemplating on getting only the K-X body and get a lens. with that, comes the question - what would be a good all-around lens for starters? is a Sandisk Ultra 8gb good enough? i'm not much of a HD video shooter anyways. can K-X handle 16 or 32GB sdcard?

    future plans include: getting flashes, tripods, remote controls. are these accessories available for the K-X?

    thanks in advance guys!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Pentax K-X questions

    Hi daughn,

    I think the kit lenses is good enough for your daily walk around.the IQ is pretty decent too.Maybe later you can add one more FA50mm F1.4 for low light indoor for portriats if u want.For the SD card if u want u can buy 2 16gb .As for the accessories everything u mention definately avaliable for K-X. So dun worry too much.

  3. #3
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,105

    Default Re: Pentax K-X questions

    Quote Originally Posted by daughn View Post
    Hi guys,

    a newbie here.

    i have been reading up on the K-x through a review site. and also read a few here about it too. I'm planning to get the dual kit with the 50-200mm lens from SLR Rev.

    really new to photography, and this will be my first take at DSLRs. did some readings about photography but still confused with the technology, ins and outs of the DSLR macine.

    with these opinion I've tread (and a few thinkings and imaginings), i think it would be a personal hassle for me to switch between the two lenses. so I am contemplating on getting only the K-X body and get a lens. with that, comes the question - what would be a good all-around lens for starters? is a Sandisk Ultra 8gb good enough? i'm not much of a HD video shooter anyways. can K-X handle 16 or 32GB sdcard?

    future plans include: getting flashes, tripods, remote controls. are these accessories available for the K-X?

    thanks in advance guys!

    A DSLR is meant for the photographer to change lenses to suit the situation. If you buy a DSLR and use only 1 lens, might as well stick to the superzooms. AFAIK, it can take 32GB. I can be wrong though. I use a Sandisk 8GB card on both my K7 & K-x and carry one spare card of 8GB.

    What is your shooting style? What do you like to shoot? From here then we can give suggestions. The kit lens is a good lens to start photography and learn from there.

    The K-x is a DLSR after all. Why will there NOT be accessories available for it if we can get for the other Pentax DSLRs?

    Start with the K-x dual kit lens of 18-55mm and 50-200mm or 55-300mm. If you are not sure, start with the 18-55mm only and grow from there. But some others who start new have got the dual lens kit and are enjoying the camera.

    Go ahead and get the K-x and then join us in our monthly outings . . .
    Last edited by felixcat8888; 12th May 2010 at 07:12 PM.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  4. #4

    Default Re: Pentax K-X questions

    if u're familiar with most of the manual settings and have plans to get better lenses then u should get the kx..

    howevery if u're very new to photography and previously only used "auto" to shoot all ur pic and u want a very versatile all rounder cam without the need to get additional lenses down the road, i'd say get a dslr-styled superzoom..
    they're much more versatile than the basic dslr kits.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Pentax K-X questions

    the package will come with 1 lens at least which is 18-55mm one and cost $782...
    if the shop willing to sell you body alone, it will $72X
    just $50+ for the kit lens, must well just buy it and use...
    for the range of 18-55mm, it is the most common range for normal user...
    i can tell you that 95% of the time it is mount on my k-x body...
    except that you already know you are purely shooting brid which is far far away or tiny object like insect then you will need something more than 18-55mm
    anyway, i seldom change lens and most of the time i don't bring the long one out of the house if i plan for random street shooting...

    of cos there are ppl like to buy those superzoom lens like 18-250mm which can shot near also can zoon far...
    heard that IQ abit lower, heavier but easy to use as no need to change lens - one lens for all...
    but personally i will still perfer the dual len kit over the superzoom lens as it is cheap and i can leave the unused part at home, so must well get it first...
    try out 1st then slowly know what you want to shoot and get the lens you need....

    Sandisk Ultra 8GB should be good enough... K-x should be able to handle up to 32GB SDHC card... anyway that is the max for SDHC standard...

    remote control can get easly within $10 online...
    Flash and tripod can buy after you got the cam or when you need... no hurry...
    get a bag...
    ppl will ask you to get a dry cabi... personal have one... so have a good place to store the k-x...
    Last edited by Moonlightsg; 12th May 2010 at 06:37 PM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Pentax K-X questions

    Don't understand what is so scary about changing lenses on slr? Newbies shouldn't be afraid of changing lenses. The whole point about slr is to allow the photographer to change to his/her desire focal length when compositing picture. Usually a two combo zoom lenses are good enough for starter to explore the photography style he/she does. At the same time it give a reasonably good image quality. A super mega zoom gives the full focal length from wide to telephoto. But it's heavy to carry around and image quality isn't something to shout about. It may well be better off using a prosumer with the image gotton from mega zoom.

    Unlike some other brand, Pentax kit lenses is a very decent lens. I suggest newbies start with this to learn... rather than jumping straight into quality constant f-stop zoom, mega zoom and even expensive prime setup.

    If one is scare of lens dropping during the change of lense. He can practises the changing of lenses on top of the bed to be comfortable with lenses switching on the move. There is just no such thing as one lenses fit all one lor.

    my 2cent worth...

  7. #7

    Default Re: Pentax K-X questions

    its not about being scared or not
    it's because when u're going on a trip, u have limited amount of time to enjoy the sceneries and shot pic.. and it's troublesome in certain situations..

    unless if u're talking about photgraphy walk walk then of coz dslr with all the lenses in the world to choose from will be the best option

  8. #8

    Default Re: Pentax K-X questions

    Hi

    I am newbie too, so I don't have any knowledge like the seniors here. I can only offer you with my experience.

    I wanted to buy the dual lens it 18-55 and 55-300 as you can see, once the 55 is reached and you want to get further, 55-300 will be there.

    Also, it is so cheap if u get the dual lens kit, compare to buy seperately.

    However, I wanted white, so couldnt get the dual lens kit and I bought it seperately. Budget is limited, so I took 50-200 instead and I am very happy with the 3. Maybe I should get an extension tube

  9. #9

    Default Re: Pentax K-X questions

    Quote Originally Posted by wazzupku View Post
    Hi

    I am newbie too, so I don't have any knowledge like the seniors here. I can only offer you with my experience.

    I wanted to buy the dual lens it 18-55 and 55-300 as you can see, once the 55 is reached and you want to get further, 55-300 will be there.

    Also, it is so cheap if u get the dual lens kit, compare to buy seperately.

    However, I wanted white, so couldnt get the dual lens kit and I bought it seperately. Budget is limited, so I took 50-200 instead and I am very happy with the 3. Maybe I should get an extension tube
    how much was quoted to u when u bought separately?
    the combo with 50-200
    and also
    the combo with 55-300

    if not convenient to tell please pm me k?
    coz i wanna buy~

  10. #10
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: Pentax K-X questions

    Quote Originally Posted by evolutioner View Post
    how much was quoted to u when u bought separately?
    the combo with 50-200
    and also
    the combo with 55-300

    if not convenient to tell please pm me k?
    coz i wanna buy~
    Don't expect to be spoonfed and check the pentax price guide.....

  11. #11

    Default Re: Pentax K-X questions

    u think i'm so noobie that i expect to be spoonfed?

    i know shops usually sell at a discounted price for buyer interested in purchase with purchase..

    and since wat i wanted do not come with twin kit lens(coz i want the white or red color), so i cant estimate how much the price will come out as a total..

    just in case if u wonder, i've emailed shops, asked on facebook and have not yet gotten a reply in qoute..
    and i'm in russia now so calling is exp..

    thanks for your concern but no thanks
    Last edited by evolutioner; 12th May 2010 at 07:06 PM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Pentax K-X questions

    Quote Originally Posted by evolutioner View Post
    and i'm in russia now so calling is exp..

    thanks for your concern but no thanks
    the question i have to ask then, is why aren't you calling back in singapore?

    btw, if you use skype, charges are very cheap.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Pentax K-X questions

    i ish dunch have skype acc coz i dont have access to credit card...
    my sis is working in sg but she's busy with her work and wedding planning..

    i hope to get all the infos down so i can go back and buy.. and get ready to take good pic of her wedding..

    thanks nightmare.. lol

  14. #14
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: Pentax K-X questions

    Quote Originally Posted by evolutioner View Post
    u think i'm so noobie that i expect to be spoonfed?

    i know shops usually sell at a discounted price for buyer interested in purchase with purchase..

    and since wat i wanted do not come with twin kit lens(coz i want the white or red color), so i cant estimate how much the price will come out as a total..

    just in case if u wonder, i've emailed shops, asked on facebook and have not yet gotten a reply in qoute..
    and i'm in russia now so calling is exp..

    thanks for your concern but no thanks
    Please lah...shops won't give you a discount just because you are getting a white/red K-x kit with a additional lens.K-x already so cheap and you still want further discount?

    Its so easy to estimate how much your total will be.$782(K-x kit)+$400-$500(50-200)=$1282

  15. #15
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,105

    Default Re: Pentax K-X questions

    Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    Please lah...shops won't give you a discount just because you are getting a white/red K-x kit with a additional lens.K-x already so cheap and you still want further discount?

    Its so easy to estimate how much your total will be.$782(K-x kit)+$400-$500(50-200)=$1282
    The thing is he is NOT in SG but in Russia. When he comes back then he can buy so the only thing he can do is to ask for the pricing. Since one of us has bought the combination he wants, there is nothing wrong with sharing the amount the combo cost . . .
    Last edited by felixcat8888; 12th May 2010 at 07:52 PM.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  16. #16

    Default Re: Pentax K-X questions

    I bought my white K-x with 18-55mm kit lens last weekend at $782. Added 50-200mm lens at $348. Bought some other accessories too... If you are interested, you can check out the price at my thread ==> http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...=692284&page=2 If you want the DA55-300mm lens, it will be ~$567..

  17. #17

    Question Re: Pentax K-X questions

    thanks guys for the information.

    i am in the Philippines and i will be asking a friend to buy me a Pentax K-X in SG. i wanna buy the navy blue dual lens kit. i'll settle for this first. practice the craft... then when i get the hang of it, realize which lens(es) to acquire next.

    i'll take your advise on the accessories, too. get at least 2 8GB memory pack, or maybe a 32GB...

    about the batteries, i've read from dpreview (or here, i'm not pretty sure) that it MIGHT not be good to use rechargeable Lithium batteries on a K-X because it has a different voltage setting (or something like that) compared to a disposable Lithium battery. How true?

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    891

    Default Re: Pentax K-X questions

    ? Really ?

    I only know the lithium(disposable ones) are the most expensive but they are the best!

    Can last dam long
    Buy Film Not Megapixels

  19. #19
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,105

    Default Re: Pentax K-X questions

    Quote Originally Posted by daughn View Post
    thanks guys for the information.

    i am in the Philippines and i will be asking a friend to buy me a Pentax K-X in SG. i wanna buy the navy blue dual lens kit. i'll settle for this first. practice the craft... then when i get the hang of it, realize which lens(es) to acquire next.

    i'll take your advise on the accessories, too. get at least 2 8GB memory pack, or maybe a 32GB...

    about the batteries, i've read from dpreview (or here, i'm not pretty sure) that it MIGHT not be good to use rechargeable Lithium batteries on a K-X because it has a different voltage setting (or something like that) compared to a disposable Lithium battery. How true?
    Card: Get 2x8GBs instead of 1x32GB
    Batteries: Get Sanyo Eneloops
    Charger: Maha CS-401
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  20. #20

    Default Re: Pentax K-X questions

    Quote Originally Posted by evolutioner View Post
    i ish dunch have skype acc coz i dont have access to credit card...
    my sis is working in sg but she's busy with her work and wedding planning..

    i hope to get all the infos down so i can go back and buy.. and get ready to take good pic of her wedding..

    thanks nightmare.. lol
    ah,

    i don't think they will give much of a discount if you buy the white k-x + telephoto zoom lens.

    quite unlikely, the package discount only applies for black k-x.

    why don't you just go for black?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •