Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 53 of 53

Thread: Upgrading from 7D to 5DII

  1. #41

    Default Re: Upgrading from 7D to 5DII

    Quote Originally Posted by sabee View Post
    As a user that recently switched to 5D2 from 450D, I call tell you that there are no discernible differences looking at the RAW on a computer screen. There is no way to tell if I'm looking at a 5D2 or 450D RAW, shitty shots remain shitty, great shots stay great. As for your observation, I'm guessing that owners of 5D2 have on the average been shooting longer than entry level DSLR owners which leads to "better pictures". The other reason would be more experienced shooters are more likely to be better at PP as well. Again its shooter, his experience and technique, rather than the camera.

    The real advantages for me were low light performance for no flash shooting, narrower DOF for portraits and a little more leeway for cropping.
    Hi, thanks alot for the advantages portion...

    Will take note.

    Cheers!

  2. #42

    Default Re: Upgrading from 7D to 5DII

    Quote Originally Posted by CTRRR View Post
    Bro wide apperture on FF meaning to say that i have a option of a 20mm 1.8 which is a 12mm equalvalent on a Crop. Where by there is no 12mm 1.8 lens available ( Or cheap at least hehe )

    Cheers!
    I like this. It shows you know enough about differences between FF and cropped one, and its effects on lenses.

  3. #43

    Default Re: Upgrading from 7D to 5DII

    Quote Originally Posted by krazyman View Post
    I like this. It shows you know enough about differences between FF and cropped one, and its effects on lenses.
    Know enough to get myself confused again hahaha

    Now need practical advice from the experts here which i am getting alot of great advice.

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: Upgrading from 7D to 5DII

    Quote Originally Posted by CTRRR View Post
    Bro wide apperture on FF meaning to say that i have a option of a 20mm 1.8 which is a 12mm equalvalent on a Crop. Where by there is no 12mm 1.8 lens available ( Or cheap at least hehe )

    Cheers!
    I think it might be worthy to point out that the 20 F/1.8 is a terrible lens wide open when it comes to sharpness and is something I would use only from 2.8 onwards.

  5. #45

    Default Re: Upgrading from 7D to 5DII

    Quote Originally Posted by sabee View Post
    I think it might be worthy to point out that the 20 F/1.8 is a terrible lens wide open when it comes to sharpness and is something I would use only from 2.8 onwards.
    Haaa!! Great!! i seen the thread and it seems not bad

    Haizzzz PP skills again

  6. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: Upgrading from 7D to 5DII

    At F/1.8 I observed extreme vignette (often not desirable, depends on your style) and softness all the way to the centre. But hey, no harm trying it out before buying, I might have just gotten a bad copy.

  7. #47

    Default Re: Upgrading from 7D to 5DII

    Quote Originally Posted by CTRRR View Post
    Bro wide apperture on FF meaning to say that i have a option of a 20mm 1.8 which is a 12mm equalvalent on a Crop. Where by there is no 12mm 1.8 lens available ( Or cheap at least hehe )

    Cheers!
    As others have said, there is very little difference between what a 7D and a 5D2 can do and my instinctive advice would be for you to stay with the 7D, especially if you only take general photography. I also do not enjoy going around with heavy and bulky 24-70 2.8 or 70-200 2.8 lenses, when you have much lighter alternatives for crop cameras.

    But if you are doing landscape, or need ultra-wide, or want great bokeh, then FF has the advantage. The 20mm lenses for Canon are not particularly good. You should be looking at 24mm f1.4II or 35 f1.4 or Carl Zeiss 21mm if you are going FF. Otherwise a 17-55 or 11-16 should be able to give you almost all you need on crop. Crop also has a great telephoto advantage if you are doing wildlife or birds.
    Last edited by An drew; 13th May 2010 at 11:33 AM.

  8. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Jakarta
    Posts
    91

    Default Re: Upgrading from 7D to 5DII

    Considering the fact that you have change from 500D to 7D, I guess to are already into photography or into investing on photographic equipment. This is just my opinion, if you are interested in a hobby or a sport buy the best that you can afford without robbing the bank. As this can save you money in the long run and stop you from further upgrading. Example: I used to admire watches when I was young and bought many cheap ones then decided to buy one very expensive ones and I stopped buying more watches. Funnily all the cheap watches add together is more expensive than my one expensive one. In my early golfing days, I bought a cheap set of golf clubs and upgraded a few times, so decided to buy the best I can afford and I have been using the same set of clubs for the last 10 years. Save money. Just my thoughts.

    Cheers
    Chris
    5D2 / 5D3 / 16-35 2.8L II USM / 24-70 2.8L / 100 2.8L IS Macro/ 70-200 2.8L IS

  9. #49

    Default Re: Upgrading from 7D to 5DII

    Quote Originally Posted by sabee View Post
    At F/1.8 I observed extreme vignette (often not desirable, depends on your style) and softness all the way to the centre. But hey, no harm trying it out before buying, I might have just gotten a bad copy.
    Have you tried sending it in for calibration? Heard it helps. for the softness problem..

    Cheers!

  10. #50

    Default Re: Upgrading from 7D to 5DII

    Quote Originally Posted by chris0804 View Post
    Considering the fact that you have change from 500D to 7D, I guess to are already into photography or into investing on photographic equipment. This is just my opinion, if you are interested in a hobby or a sport buy the best that you can afford without robbing the bank. As this can save you money in the long run and stop you from further upgrading. Example: I used to admire watches when I was young and bought many cheap ones then decided to buy one very expensive ones and I stopped buying more watches. Funnily all the cheap watches add together is more expensive than my one expensive one. In my early golfing days, I bought a cheap set of golf clubs and upgraded a few times, so decided to buy the best I can afford and I have been using the same set of clubs for the last 10 years. Save money. Just my thoughts.

    Cheers
    Well 500D was for my CO due to its lightweight ( At first say we share ) then during F1, she brought it to australia leaving me with my sharp top of the line sony erricsson mobile phone camera After which during one track day, same thing happen. She went to hong kong.... so that was when i decided to start my own collection

    Actually price was one of the reason i bought a 7D ( GOt it very cheap ) and is also the reason i looking at a 5DmkII too...but have better use of the money instead of keeeping 3 cameras which the 500D cant be sold ( Kenna warn by CO already )

    Not into watches but i dont think i have a need to buy the best golf club ( Maruman pheonix) but just one that suits me but one thing for sure is i spend alot of money on titleist Pro V and send them into the ponds

  11. #51

    Default Re: Upgrading from 7D to 5DII

    Don't forget you also lost something...
    you lost of 7D focusing speed... 5dmk2 AF significantly slower than 7D

  12. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Serangoon
    Posts
    255

    Default Re: Upgrading from 7D to 5DII

    Quote Originally Posted by chris0804 View Post
    Considering the fact that you have change from 500D to 7D, I guess to are already into photography or into investing on photographic equipment. This is just my opinion, if you are interested in a hobby or a sport buy the best that you can afford without robbing the bank. As this can save you money in the long run and stop you from further upgrading. Example: I used to admire watches when I was young and bought many cheap ones then decided to buy one very expensive ones and I stopped buying more watches. Funnily all the cheap watches add together is more expensive than my one expensive one. In my early golfing days, I bought a cheap set of golf clubs and upgraded a few times, so decided to buy the best I can afford and I have been using the same set of clubs for the last 10 years. Save money. Just my thoughts.

    Cheers
    Good Advice Wisdom of the ages!
    Last edited by louismuhammad; 13th May 2010 at 01:51 PM.

  13. #53

    Default Re: Upgrading from 7D to 5DII

    Quote Originally Posted by archlover View Post
    Don't forget you also lost something...
    you lost of 7D focusing speed... 5dmk2 AF significantly slower than 7D
    Thks bro, i have thought about that which i stated in my first post that i do not think its any slower than a 500D unless someone tells me it is hehehe

    Cheers!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •