Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading from 7D to 5DII

Default Re: Upgrading from 7D to 5DII

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post

with ff you can print larger print. but that is if u r a pro.
    No, depends on resolution.
    Alpha

And really..... This whole arguement about FF being better since it can take the ultra wides is moot. Cropped body users are actually getting more choices where this is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    And really..... This whole arguement about FF being better since it can take the ultra wides is moot. Cropped body users are actually getting more choices where this is concerned.
    There is some truth in it. The widest crop lens Canon has is 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 which is a 16mm equivalent. For FF, they have the 14mm f/2.8. However, not many people would find it practical to own the 14mm f/2.8 and 10mm on a crop body is usually wide enough.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    hi TS

i re read kenrockwell article on ff advantage..

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/full...-advantage.htm

now i am having second thoughts... he is saying ff givesu better pic and sharper pic at 100% ... but for me i don't view pic at 100%...

so perhaps u can ignore those 2 advantages lah...

pai seh
    The link is a bit misleading.
    the main reason why 5d mk1 is sharper is due to the weak AA filter on the sensor.
    If you compare with 5dmk2 or D700, 5d mk1 is still sharper due to the newer bodies normally come with stronger AA filter.
    If you don't believe you can try imaging resources (http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM) to compare sample photos side by side.

5dmk2 main advantage over 7d is shallow DOF and better high-iso image.
    Sharpness and details wise, they are both identical.
    Last edited by sukhoi37; 12th May 2010 at 07:34 PM.

5D Mark II and 7D is a totally different creature,
    you can't say that you're gonna miss something that 7D has

I'll make it easy for you,
    if you ever confuse whether you need to get 5D Mark II or not,
    that means, you're not ready yet, stick with your 7D would probably best for you
    EOS 1DMarkIV,
    Xwife : EOS40D, 5D, 5DMarkII, 7D, SonyA900 | seXytoys :EOS 400D, 450D, 500D, SonyA550

Quote Originally Posted by sukhoi37 View Post
    The link is a bit misleading.
    the main reason why 5d mk1 is sharper is due to the weak AA filter on the sensor.
    If you compare with 5dmk2 or D700, 5d mk1 is still sharper due to the newer bodies normally come with stronger AA filter.
    If you don't believe you can try imaging resources (http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM) to compare sample photos side by side.

5dmk2 main advantage over 7d is shallow DOF and better high-iso image.
    Sharpness and details wise, they are both identical.
    hi

tks for the info....

the other problem with kenrockwell's article is that the crop image is enlarge to more than 100% to compare to the 5d mk 2 100% crop picture..

anyway, as i said in a later post, i don't think comparing 100% crop is worth the enegry and effort... i have done it before... and the only thing i got is tired eyes....

i think the change only came recently.. with the arrival of sigma 8-16.... kenrockwell did contribute to this moot.. i was also deluded by him for some months...

but on the other hand, i am still not sure if the uwa lens on crop can give similar results as a similar uwa on ff...

it was said that it is diff to build a uwa for crop...

so after a few clarification from some seniors here, the ff advantages are left with:

better high iso
    work better with prime lenses
    dof (may not be an advanatge)
    IQ (maybe ?)

I got myself a 7D after using a 350D for some time n i love it. but somehow i feel that colours r lacking. after researching, i got a 1ds mk2. super old but super good. love the colours, even on a dull day i can get good colours. i do pp as well to enchance but thats beside the case. even the unedited pictures look much better on my 32" full hd tv.

i wanted to sell 7D but it has its strenghts as well.. although it has longer reach but using a ff with the same lens, i can crop and the image is still sharper than the 7D on my 32". of course not cropping it ridiculously small. thats the IQ diff.

if u want 8fps, stick with the 7D. its a great body. if its IQ u really want, get a ff.
    When the shooting gets tough, the tough gets shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutKev View Post
    I got myself a 7D after using a 350D for some time n i love it. but somehow i feel that colours r lacking. after researching, i got a 1ds mk2. super old but super good. love the colours, even on a dull day i can get good colours. i do pp as well to enchance but thats beside the case. even the unedited pictures look much better on my 32" full hd tv.

i wanted to sell 7D but it has its strenghts as well.. although it has longer reach but using a ff with the same lens, i can crop and the image is still sharper than the 7D on my 32". of course not cropping it ridiculously small. thats the IQ diff.

if u want 8fps, stick with the 7D. its a great body. if its IQ u really want, get a ff.

u shoot jpeg or raw for both camera? mind posting some pics to us to see? how much do u pay for the 1ds?

I suggest you stay with your 7D and wait for 5Dmk3.

Just go and buy the 5DmkII...
    Blood is Red for a reason. Liverpool for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Not a chance. mkII or 500D user, you won't really be able to tell the difference in the shots if you see them. This is where skill comes in..
    Given the pics i see online that were taken by the different camera vs your statement, then i think the MKII users either has better photography skills or better PP skills

Wide aperture has nothing to do with ff/crop. Any improvements will not come from the camera, but what's behind the camera.
    Bro wide apperture on FF meaning to say that i have a option of a 20mm 1.8 which is a 12mm equalvalent on a Crop. Where by there is no 12mm 1.8 lens available ( Or cheap at least hehe )

Cheers!

How much improvement you can yield out of the camera depends on how well you know your stuff. If your skills remain stagnant, a more expensive cameracan only do what the previous one did. Period.
    Totally agree. Just that i was considering ( Initially ) that if the skills improve, maybe a camera that gives you more vivid colors, true to live blah blah and sharpness would bring you to another level... ( LIke i said initially... when i just started the thread )

Cheers bro

It's called "hype". You can get the same results with a lot of other cameras, but people think that a brand new full frame must be better, therefore they tell themselves it's really better.

Thanks for bringing out this point. Never really thought of it from this angle.... * EGO *

Quote Originally Posted by CTRRR View Post
    Given the pics i see online that were taken by the different camera vs your statement, then i think the MKII users either has better photography skills or better PP skills

Bro wide apperture on FF meaning to say that i have a option of a 20mm 1.8 which is a 12mm equalvalent on a Crop. Where by there is no 12mm 1.8 lens available ( Or cheap at least hehe )

Cheers!
    1. It's mostly PP effort. People who buy a 5dMkII are usually paying for their shoots, and will take more care in PP. But realistically, take a 550D and a 5dMkII, take the same shot with the same lens (factoring in for FOV change) and better yet, shoot in RAW. Then go through the same workflow. I doubt you could tell the difference then.

2. For aperture, the aperture stays the same.
    Alpha

Thanks for bringing out this point. Never really thought of it from this angle.... * EGO *
    Never underestimate the powers of self-delusion or the "herd instinct". "Everyone says XXX camera is the best so it must be the best!"
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutKev View Post

Bro, this is what i thought/read that the full frame produces solid colors somehow which was why i started this thread now with all the advises from the bros here... im in consideration stage

Longer reach is not much of a problem as i still have my OC's 500D if needed and the only sports i shoot would be F1 ( Most of the time entertain clients so not much time to shoot ) secondary sports i have are track days but the cars are slow hahahaha

Thanks alot.

Never underestimate the powers of self-delusion or the "herd instinct". "Everyone says XXX camera is the best so it must be the best!"
    Yah and slowly more and more people start to say that particular is the best... thats where i start thinking Mind power not strong enough ) haha

As a user that recently switched to 5D2 from 450D, I call tell you that there are no discernible differences looking at the RAW on a computer screen. There is no way to tell if I'm looking at a 5D2 or 450D RAW, shitty shots remain shitty, great shots stay great. As for your observation, I'm guessing that owners of 5D2 have on the average been shooting longer than entry level DSLR owners which leads to "better pictures". The other reason would be more experienced shooters are more likely to be better at PP as well. Again its shooter, his experience and technique, rather than the camera.

The real advantages for me were low light performance for no flash shooting, narrower DOF for portraits and a little more leeway for cropping.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast