Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Question on General Purpose Lenses

  1. #1

    Default Question on General Purpose Lenses

    Hello all! Newbie reporting, with a question on general purpose lenses.

    Recently, I purchased a 500D body with the 50mm f1.8 lens. This lens is amazing, but it seems slightly limited when it comes to general purpose/walkabout photography. So, I am thinking of getting another lens to complement my 50mm.

    I have several options:
    1. Get a 2nd hand kit lens (18-55 IS)
    2. Get a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8
    3. Get a Sigma 17-70mm.

    At first I did not get the kit lens as I heard reviews that it cannot exploit the full megapixels of the 500D to the best of its abilities, and wanted to go for a lens with better IQ. However, I would like to ask how do the IQ of Tamron and Sigma compare to the kit lens? Is it worth it to get Tamron/Sigma given its relatively higher prices as compared to the kit lens? Plus which lens will be able to complement my 50mm best?

    If you all have any other suggestions, please do tell me! My budget is under $700, including 2nd hand/3rd party lens. Thank you! (Pardon my lengthy post xD)

  2. #2
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    7,061

    Default Re: Question on General Purpose Lenses

    Welcome to CSGet the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Question on General Purpose Lenses

    the 28-300 or 18-200 from Sigma/Tamron can do the job if you are looking for an all rounder.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Question on General Purpose Lenses

    thanks for the recommendation, may i know why didn't u recommend canon 18-200?
    pardon my noobness, is 500d EF or EFS-only?
    Last edited by DarkPa1adin; 12th May 2010 at 02:46 PM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Question on General Purpose Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkPa1adin View Post
    thanks for the recommendation, may i know why didn't u recommend canon 18-200?
    pardon my noobness, is 500d EF or EFS-only?
    the budget constraint.

    500d can use both.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Question on General Purpose Lenses

    Welcome to CS

  7. #7
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: Question on General Purpose Lenses

    Welcome to CS
    Take the shot!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Question on General Purpose Lenses

    IMHO, the 17-50 can do most of what you need as a starting photographer. It will likely outresolve the superzooms too, and superzooms do make you somewhat of a lazy photographer. I started off with the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and it's a wonderful lens to use as a beginner.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Question on General Purpose Lenses

    Hello thanks for all your recommendations and welcomes! How would the image quality of tamron 18-200/canon 18-200 compare with the kit lens? Is there a very huge difference?

    How about the canon 17-85mm?

    Thanks!

  10. #10
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Question on General Purpose Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by summerbirds View Post
    Hello thanks for all your recommendations and welcomes! How would the image quality of tamron 18-200/canon 18-200 compare with the kit lens? Is there a very huge difference?

    How about the canon 17-85mm?

    Thanks!
    First of all, how discerning are you with regards to image quality, that you can tell the difference between an image taken by a superzoom, and one taken by the sharpest lens available (eg. a prime)?

    For example, do you think you can tell the difference if someone uses a 50mm f/1.2L @ f/8, vs your 50/1.8 @ f/8, vs a kit lens (18-55, set to 50mm) @ f/8, vs an 18-200 @ f/8, do you think you can tell the images apart? If not, I wouldn't worry so much about 'image quality', and find a lens with a suitable focal range, aperture and price.
    Exploring! :)

  11. #11
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: Question on General Purpose Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by summerbirds View Post
    How would the image quality of tamron 18-200/canon 18-200 compare with the kit lens? Is there a very huge difference?

    Some of the shots taken by the Canon 18-200mm IS lens -> http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481860

  12. #12

    Default Re: Question on General Purpose Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    First of all, how discerning are you with regards to image quality, that you can tell the difference between an image taken by a superzoom, and one taken by the sharpest lens available (eg. a prime)?

    For example, do you think you can tell the difference if someone uses a 50mm f/1.2L @ f/8, vs your 50/1.8 @ f/8, vs a kit lens (18-55, set to 50mm) @ f/8, vs an 18-200 @ f/8, do you think you can tell the images apart? If not, I wouldn't worry so much about 'image quality', and find a lens with a suitable focal range, aperture and price.
    I agree with what you have said. Perhaps in my mind, what I am thinking of is that I want to make a worthy investment from the start.
    I guess its really a balance between IQ, suitable focal range, aperture and price that I am looking for, and eventually its cost effectiveness. But having said that, I recognise my less discerning eye compared to the seniors, hence I would not get something top of the range that I can't fully utilise.

    Thanks for your valuable comments, and for everyone else's. I really appreciate all the help!! I think eventually I would get the tamron, till I become better!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Question on General Purpose Lenses

    Welcome to CS!
    and
    Enjoy shooting pictures!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •