Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Price check for some items before heading to hk

  1. #1

    Question Price check for some items before heading to hk

    Hi guys, just gotten my new k-x a month ago.
    Going on a trip to hong kong soon and heard that the prices over there is cheaper than singapore.

    I am interested in the pentax smc a 50mm f1.2
    Saw it selling 2nd hand at B&S for around $800+
    Is 2nd hand price around there? Sample is too few to determine for me so require some input from long time pro!
    The bokeh from the 1.2 is

    If not, the pentax smc a 50mm f1.4 would be a good choice too.
    Saw fengwei just sold one 2nd hand at B&S for $280 and i was too slow to get it.
    Is the 2nd hand price around there too?
    Think that the price difference between a and fa is unjustifiable cause i think manual focus would be fine. And the price increase of the fa since last year is
    Unless i can find the fa hk at its old price then i think it is reasonable to purchase it.

    Just to confirm, the a 1.2 and 1.4 are not in production already? Only way to get hold of them is 2nd hand? What about the fa?

    Another thing that i wanna explore is flash photography. Have decided on the metz af58 cause it is feature rich. A check on price.com.hk shows that it retails for SGD$530 at hk. While i think the best local price is $600 from OP.
    Just wanna ask if the local set has warranty?
    Dont think that i will sacrifice the warranty for $70, considering i am talking about flash here instead of manual lens.

    Any input from fellow pentaxians here will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Senior Member wrx_sti_22b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Compassvale Lane
    Posts
    4,952

    Default Re: Price check for some items before heading to hk

    Quote Originally Posted by psydunko View Post
    Dont think that i will sacrifice the warranty for $70, considering i am talking about flash here instead of manual lens.
    I dun think a branded flash spoils easily... unless got wet or dropped... if not under normal usage condition, i dun think it spoils easily...
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

  3. #3
    Senior Member darrrrrrrrrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,208

    Default Re: Price check for some items before heading to hk

    Quote Originally Posted by wrx_sti_22b View Post
    I dun think a branded flash spoils easily... unless got wet or dropped... if not under normal usage condition, i dun think it spoils easily...
    You never know. We're talking about electronics here, and it's not easy to get a flash repaired unlike old lenses. If the $70 buys you peace of mind for 1 year, why not?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Price check for some items before heading to hk

    really depends on value of what you are buying and what you intend to do. if the price not much different, get locally for the warranty.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  5. #5
    Member scorpioh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,973

    Default Re: Price check for some items before heading to hk

    Pentax-A lenses I believe are generally out of production. You could get the ubiquitous FA 50mm f1.4. As for the A 50 f1.2, it is listed in a Japanese store new. Not sure if it is Made in Japan or Made in Vietnam though. There were some news that there are some Made in Vietnam copies going around but still rare. Anyway, it will cost like some $1.2kSGD. Coming across a 2nd hand one, especially in good condition, is imho, opportunistic, requires patience and perhaps some good karma?
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

  6. #6

    Default Re: Price check for some items before heading to hk

    Thanks for the replies and advices given by you guys here.
    Didnt know that the 50 f1.2 is so rare.
    Will try my luck around in hong kong. Who knows what i will find.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Price check for some items before heading to hk

    i notice the lens is not much different with SG for pentax... for N/C then sound cheaper over there...
    the thing that is cheap is Flash...

    FYI, K-x over there is about 10-15% more exp than here... but the lens is about the same...

  8. #8
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,108

    Default Re: Price check for some items before heading to hk

    Quote Originally Posted by psydunko View Post
    Hi guys, just gotten my new k-x a month ago.
    Going on a trip to hong kong soon and heard that the prices over there is cheaper than singapore.

    I am interested in the pentax smc a 50mm f1.2
    Saw it selling 2nd hand at B&S for around $800+
    Is 2nd hand price around there? Sample is too few to determine for me so require some input from long time pro!
    The bokeh from the 1.2 is

    If not, the pentax smc a 50mm f1.4 would be a good choice too.
    Saw fengwei just sold one 2nd hand at B&S for $280 and i was too slow to get it.
    Is the 2nd hand price around there too?
    Think that the price difference between a and fa is unjustifiable cause i think manual focus would be fine. And the price increase of the fa since last year is
    Unless i can find the fa hk at its old price then i think it is reasonable to purchase it.

    Just to confirm, the a 1.2 and 1.4 are not in production already? Only way to get hold of them is 2nd hand? What about the fa?

    Another thing that i wanna explore is flash photography. Have decided on the metz af58 cause it is feature rich. A check on price.com.hk shows that it retails for SGD$530 at hk. While i think the best local price is $600 from OP.
    Just wanna ask if the local set has warranty?
    Dont think that i will sacrifice the warranty for $70, considering i am talking about flash here instead of manual lens.

    Any input from fellow pentaxians here will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!
    My copy of the Metz 58AF-1 is local warranty . . .

    A50mm F1.2 can still get new from Japan but between SGD$1.2k to 1.3k

    A50 F1.4 cannot get new already, but I managed to get one 2nd hand in very new condition.

    The FA50 F1.4 will cost about $500+ new
    Last edited by felixcat8888; 12th May 2010 at 09:17 AM.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  9. #9

    Default Re: Price check for some items before heading to hk

    Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    My copy of the Metz 58AF-1 is local warranty . . .

    A50mm F1.2 can still get new from Japan but between SGD$1.2k to 1.3k

    A50 F1.4 cannot get new already, but I managed to get one 2nd hand in very new condition.

    The FA50 F1.4 will cost about $500+ new
    Thanks for the reply.
    Is the Metz local warranty for a year?
    How has the flash been performing for you?

    Too bad i have no cash to go japan
    From what i have been reading, the FA50 F1.4 retails around $300+ last year?
    Lenses price sure increase over the years

  10. #10
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,108

    Default Re: Price check for some items before heading to hk

    Thanks for the reply.
    Is the Metz local warranty for a year?
    How has the flash been performing for you?

    Great flash but I seldom use as I prefer to go without the flash.

    Too bad i have no cash to go japan
    From what i have been reading, the FA50 F1.4 retails around $300+ last year?
    Lenses price sure increase over the years

    As far as I know the price went up bec Japan Yen went up . . .
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  11. #11

    Default Re: Price check for some items before heading to hk

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlightsg View Post
    i notice the lens is not much different with SG for pentax... for N/C then sound cheaper over there...
    the thing that is cheap is Flash...

    FYI, K-x over there is about 10-15% more exp than here... but the lens is about the same...
    While i was lurking some time ago,
    I think i remembered you starting a thread to ask about hong kong price too.
    So what did you buy over there?

    Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    Is the Metz local warranty for a year?
    How has the flash been performing for you?

    Great flash but I seldom use as I prefer to go without the flash.

    Too bad i have no cash to go japan
    From what i have been reading, the FA50 F1.4 retails around $300+ last year?
    Lenses price sure increase over the years

    As far as I know the price went up bec Japan Yen went up . . .
    Thanks for this additional info!
    Didnt know that.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Price check for some items before heading to hk

    Quote Originally Posted by psydunko View Post
    While i was lurking some time ago,
    I think i remembered you starting a thread to ask about hong kong price too.
    So what did you buy over there?



    Thanks for this additional info!
    Didnt know that.
    plan to ask my friend to get a flash... but too rush... he informed me very last mins, so by the time i make up my mind... not enough time to buy already....

    but anyway, he will come SG again july... so see whether i have spare cash by then...(may want to buy a 100mm to play also, then my wife looks like want to get a fisheye to play... then no $$ haha....)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •