Thread: Austria, central europe...

Default Austria, central europe...

Due to I will have a business meeting in Austria from 6/6-11/6
    However, I'm not allowed to apply too much leave to travel around. I would to know where is the worth place to visi.I will spend around 6 days. Hope u guys may give me some ideas...thanks a lot...

Default Re: Austria, central europe...

You've only 5-6 days, just focus on Austria. Read aboout the coum=ntry's history and you'll realise that they dominated Europe. The assasination of the crown prince led to the first world war and the collapse of the Habsburg Empire. 3 days Wein (ie Vienna) and 2 days salsburg, or take day trips using Wein as base. They've an Austrian train pass.

Check them out.

where is your meeting?
    it is good to just focus on Austria.
    If you are close to Slazburg (say 30 min train) it is good to visit this beautiful city. And not forget Vienna.
    If you are in Salzburg, might be good to visit Munich, as it is just 1 hour train away. If not wrong, distance of Salzburg - Munich is shorter than Salzburg - Vienna.

IMO, 5-6 days in Austria is too long. It depends on your interest. If you are not a huge fan of arts, just do 1-2days Vienna, daytrip in Salzburg then hit to Munich.
    Salzburg to Munich is just 1hour by train and it costs you about 20EUR.
    Buy the Bayern-Bavaria Day ticket and it allows you to travel to any Bavarian City for just 20EUR as mentioned. I think it includes Salzburg as well.
    So if you are in Munich, you can use the S-Bahns and all other transport.

Stay a night or 2 in Munich. It's well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by theyamb View Post
    IMO, 5-6 days in Austria is too long. It depends on your interest. If you are not a huge fan of arts, just do 1-2days Vienna, daytrip in Salzburg then hit to Munich.
    Salzburg to Munich is just 1hour by train and it costs you about 20EUR.
    Buy the Bayern-Bavaria Day ticket and it allows you to travel to any Bavarian City for just 20EUR as mentioned. I think it includes Salzburg as well.
    So if you are in Munich, you can use the S-Bahns and all other transport.

Stay a night or 2 in Munich. It's well worth it.
    Munich is 2 hours away. I made a detour there after cutting my stay in Innsbruck.
    If you are going to Salzburg, you can visit Hallstatt too.

Quote Originally Posted by xdw3irdxd View Post
    Due to I will have a business meeting in Austria from 6/6-11/6
    However, I'm not allowed to apply too much leave to travel around. I would to know where is the worth place to visi.I will spend around 6 days. Hope u guys may give me some ideas...thanks a lot...
    IMHO, don't be the typical Singaporean, and travel like a refugee, running from place to place to see as many places as possible so you can tell your friends, that you have been there, done that.

Enjoy the ambience, immerse yourself in the Austrian daily life and stop to smell the roses.

Apart from Salzburg, Vienna etc Linz is also beautiful, take a day to hike. Since you are at a business meeting, I assume you are no longer a student trying to see 10 places in 10 days.

Buy a little guide book on the city you are in, and chill. Its your week away from the busy Singapore...

Cheers.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

i was in austria more than 10 years ago...1st thing that the country attracted me is the mountains and arts. Something that is very lacking in the country we lived. If you want a simple and relaxing pace, juz concentrate on Austria alone, visit the palace, join the sound of music sites, go to some mountains, go see some museums. The people are friendly and country is beautiful...i

Hope you enjoy your trip

I have a guide book here which suggests a 2 or 3 day Vienna itinerary and indicates a menu of 16 "must see" places in/around Vienna.

The book also recommends hikes in the Austria alps in the following places: Zell Am Ziller; Seefeld; Alpach; Neustift; Kitzbuhel; Kaprun/Zell Am See; Wagrain and Badgastein. Within the places stated, there are many hiking trails, IE easy, moderate and hard.

If you happen to go Vienna....do go to this restaurant and try their Wiener Schnitzel.
    I've posted directions and pics on my travel blog.

Hi, there are a lot of things to visit around Salzburg in Austria.
    As a few people mentioned, Vienna is a very nice place to go as well as Munich.
    Here are some places you could consider as well:
    Berchtesgaden (WWII memorial, Koenigssee and Salt mine)
    If you are more into scenery i would recommend make a trip to
    Hallstatt and the nearby ice caves below the Dachstein glacier.

anyhow take your time and enjoy the trip.
    Don't rush just to see as much as possible.