Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best answers to the typical "which DSLR do you recommend?" question

Default Best answers to the typical "which DSLR do you recommend?" question

This type of question is often asked by newbies, and the answer is usually different, based on the person and/or the mood of that person on a particular day.

Just inviting people to list down their favourite "comeback" lines to answer such questions.
    Ideally it should not be too hurtful to the newbie's fragile ego, but should get the point across that the question is a bit naive.

I used to answer by rephrasing "please recommend me a car, Honda City or Toyota Vios"

but at the recent weekend outing, I blurted out "please recommend me what type of underwear to get, G-string or boxer".

And I think that's my new favourite comeback line

what's yours?
    Exploring! :)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Best answers to the typical "which DSLR do you recommend?" question

Deregistered

I always put the usual:

Canon EOS 1000D/450D/500D/550D
    Nikon D3000/D5000
    Pentax K-x
    Sony A230/330/380
    Olympus E-450

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    This type of question is often asked by newbies, and the answer is usually different, based on the person and/or the mood of that person on a particular day.

Just inviting people to list down their favourite "comeback" lines to answer such questions.
    Ideally it should not be too hurtful to the newbie's fragile ego, but should get the point across that the question is a bit naive.

I used to answer by rephrasing "please recommend me a car, Honda City or Toyota Vios"

but at the recent weekend outing, I blurted out "please recommend me what type of underwear to get, G-string or boxer".

And I think that's my new favourite comeback line

what's yours?
    Toyota Vios. And I like Hush Puppies underwear

what's yours?
    i would like to tell them that they are spineless jellyfish who obviously are pursuing photography like headless chickens. and that if they continue in that manner, then the entire hobby will be just represented in that one thread. i would also like to tell them that knowing what you want is important in life, and that having knowledge at your hand is so that you can make decisions, not to leech on others' opinions......

but that would probably induce a load of resentment in:

a) newbies against me
    b) newbies against senior members
    c) newbies against anyone with a "high post count"
    d) kaypohs who are newbie champions, despite not helping out either
    e) kaypohs who like to add 2 cents and tell me that i'm not constructive, thereby being unconstructive as well.

so usually i just tell them that the decision is theirs.

I havent really tried but what about,

Are you paying for it yourself or someone else and if so what is the maximum budget?
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i would like to tell them that they are spineless jellyfish who obviously are pursuing photography like headless chickens. and that if they continue in that manner, then the entire hobby will be just represented in that one thread. i would also like to tell them that knowing what you want is important in life, and that having knowledge at your hand is so that you can make decisions, not to leech on others' opinions......

but that would probably induce a load of resentment in:

a) newbies against me
    b) newbies against senior members
    c) newbies against anyone with a "high post count"
    d) kaypohs who are newbie champions, despite not helping out either
    e) kaypohs who like to add 2 cents and tell me that i'm not constructive, thereby being unconstructive as well.

you are right.... ~sigh~

"please recommend me what type of underwear to get, G-string or boxer".
    In the hot and humid climate like Singapore, I won't recommend you to wear any undie.

As you sweat and the undie gets wet and you'll be growing fugus and mushooms inside your undie pretty soon.

And also if you let your zip open up a little bit, you can get some air circulating inside without an undie.

It's better then giving them nightmares from 8pm to 6am..

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

Last edited by Limsgp; 12th May 2010 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    In the hot and humid climate like Singapore, I won't recommend you to wear any undie.

As you sweat and the undie gets wet and you'll be growing fugus and mushooms inside your undie pretty soon.

And also if you let your zip open up a little bit, you can get some air circulating inside without an undie.

ohh..that's what i did..

weather is really too hot for undies...high temp is bringing a fall in mankind...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    weather is really too hot for undies...high temp is bringing a fall in mankind...
    Sure. I suggest the authority bends the law a bit to let us wear pants with holes in them for ventilation and cooling.

And of course the no undie rule applies.

Sure. I suggest the authority bends the law a bit to let us wear pants with holes in them for ventilation and cooling.

Just don't do that openly when you're shooting cats... coz they'll think they see big fat mouse tail...

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Just don't do that openly when you're shooting cats... coz they'll think they see big fat mouse tail...
    Not to worry.

Nikon will come out with a anti-cat vibrating pad.

I will tell them when they can't decide to just get 'em all.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

but dangling sausages really invites danger...
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Not to worry.

Nikon will come out with a anti-cat vibrating pad.
    Vibrating mode?? Wow, can you even concentrate??

Tell them to get Mamiya instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post

but dangling sausages really invites danger...
    Yeah you're right, we need a disguise... now where's that barbie doll?...

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Yeah you're right, we need a disguise... now where's that barbie doll?...
    Always muz take cover...

I wonder if a certain thread on the typical "which DSLR do you recommend?" question can be made sticky or FAQ such that any newbie who can't fight the urge to ask such question refers to it...something like the Teleconverter/Wide converter thread...in this way, would it be possible to reduce the amount of frustration of the senior members who have seen over tens of thousands of such posts and also allow the newbie to readup for basic info before they threw a question like "A vs B, which is better?" kinda question
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast