Thread: must-have photography apps for iphone?

Default must-have photography apps for iphone?

hello ppl,

sorry for being a laggard but i just jumped onto the bandwagon only recently.

what are the apps that you guys think are essential to you? e.g. saw some interesting stuff like auto time-lapse, light meter etc.. browsed through the app store and the "top picks" aren't exactly impressive.. so just wondering what you guys have in mind.

p.s : i also need a recomendation for an app that blocks data connection. tried "bossprefs" and disabled EDGE + 3G but it still connected using the data connection instead of Wifi. how do i force the phone to use Wifi only (if available)?

just shoot the titles here and tell us why is it useful for you!
    Last edited by savager; 11th May 2010 at 01:58 PM.

Default Re: must-have photography apps for iphone?

my favourite free apps:

Flickr

Polarize(to convert your iphone shot into a polaroid)

Gorillacam(many features like grid and bubble and selftimer)

PS Mobile(for simple editing)

MoreLomo

The paid app I use is The Best Cam, I like how my pics turn out:

hey, the pics look pretty nice! thanks for the recommendation.

oh yah..forgot to mention - do recommend any app other than editors ( for me, it's a pain trying to edit on the phone.. and i don't feel the need to ) and those photo sharing apps that require data ( i'm not using a data plan... )

You can try Hipstamatic, it's a paid apps, but i think it's worth your 1.99

My fav are

ShakeIt
    TiltShitGen
    PerfectPhoto
    AutoStitch
    SlowShutter (but this only outputs low resolution)

I guess it's quite meaningless to find a "good" apps for taking pictures on iPhone. Becoz of hardware/design limitation (I guess), there is no way to control aperture, shutter speed, ISO, WB on the Phone.. At least, there should be some scene mode for the user to select the best fit.

If there is an App that allows more control.. then it might be more worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    I guess it's quite meaningless to find a "good" apps for taking pictures on iPhone. Becoz of hardware/design limitation (I guess), there is no way to control aperture, shutter speed, ISO, WB on the Phone.. At least, there should be some scene mode for the user to select the best fit.

haha. that depends on one's definition of "good".

for me, it simply means utilizing the hardware and working around the constraints of the phone to its maximum.
    take for e.g. the iphone 3g - the developers worked around video by doing 15fps STILLS and piece them together. that's good to me.

thanks for the advice anyway. keep the recommendations coming! need an app for stopping data usage too! please advise!

Regarding working around constraints, that's true.. but Apple never gives details about it's hardware specs.. other then MP count and video filmrate/resolution.. it maybe difficult to judge what will be the camera's behaviour. For e.g. when taking videos, once the rec button is pressed, the camera seems to stop focusing. So the video camera maybe only good for fixed distance subjects.. it will not autofocus as subject moves.

For limiting the data usage, can't you just turn off 3G in the settings?

Quote Originally Posted by savager View Post
    haha. that depends on one's definition of "good".

for me, it simply means utilizing the hardware and working around the constraints of the phone to its maximum.
    take for e.g. the iphone 3g - the developers worked around video by doing 15fps STILLS and piece them together. that's good to me.

thanks for the advice anyway. keep the recommendations coming! need an app for stopping data usage too! please advise!

The iphone is not meant to compete with advance PnS and DSLRs.

I'm just taking about the very basic functions of a "camera". For e.g. WB. Sometimes, the AI can get really wrong.. isn't it good to be able to overwrite the decision by the AI? at least, provide a few scene mode..

Not to complete with cameras, but just comparing against other camera phones, like those of Nokia, LG etc.. Most provide the basic capability..

Quote Originally Posted by zero o View Post
    The iphone is not meant to compete with advance PnS and DSLRs.

Techies / marketing and consumer would want to include as many functions as possible - cram it full . But then there is always cost / space / aesthetics constraints - and i guess in the end, apple may feel that it didn't need these to compete with the likes of LG or Nokia.

Spontaneity with the apps is so much more fun - especially lomo & polaroid apps
    Last edited by zero o; 13th May 2010 at 12:35 AM.

Regarding working around constraints, that's true.. but Apple never gives details about it's hardware specs.. other then MP count and video filmrate/resolution.. it maybe difficult to judge what will be the camera's behaviour. For e.g. when taking videos, once the rec button is pressed, the camera seems to stop focusing. So the video camera maybe only good for fixed distance subjects.. it will not autofocus as subject moves.

For limiting the data usage, can't you just turn off 3G in the settings?
    nope, the iphone doesn't work that way. the reason why alot of ppl choked up thousand dollar bills last time ( when there was no $30 cap ) was because the iphone automatically connects to 3g/EDGE whenever your WIFI is out of range or getting too weak - yes, even if you have disabled 3G via general settings.

anyway i found the solution already.. just edit the APN to some gibberish number and it will never connect to the data network. lol. okay sorry i OT-ed in my thread.

back to photography apps! more please!

If I'm not wrong, there's a setting to set a quota on data usage right? Once exceeded, should stop incoming data and incurring data charges..

Never tried it thou.. no need to.. Most data plan comes with 12GB.. even if it includes incoming and outgoing, I doubt I'll even reach 10% of that under normal usage..

Quote Originally Posted by savager View Post
    nope, the iphone doesn't work that way. the reason why alot of ppl choked up thousand dollar bills last time ( when there was no $30 cap ) was because the iphone automatically connects to 3g/EDGE whenever your WIFI is out of range or getting too weak - yes, even if you have disabled 3G via general settings.

Blog Entries

my must haves are

Photoshop
    Photobucket
    Flickr

all FREE

btw the 12GB is really alot and very difficult to use up

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    my must haves are

Photoshop
    Photobucket
    Flickr

all FREE

btw the 12GB is really alot and very difficult to use up
    lol. thanks ppl. previously i was still on the old plan without data. after much consideration i decided to upgrade my plan to smartsurf.

anyway i just got hipstamatic with the hipstapaks. it really is worth the $! extremely interesting app with all the vintage cams. my only complaint is that it "Develops" very slowly, probably because of the multiple layers it has to produce those textures. haha.

also found another app that blends HDR in phone, but too bad it's for the 3GS only. is there any 3G alternative? true blending but not merely levels adjusting/filters. i know it's much slower but i don't mind.. just snaps for fun when i don't have my camera with me..haha.

keep the apps coming
    Last edited by savager; 20th May 2010 at 01:59 PM.

Most often use
    Flicker
    Polarize

Occasionally use
    PhotoFunia
    TuzkiSnap
    Photofilters

Use this to create light trail in the dark and shoot with your DSLR
    Flashlight
    Flash for free

Hardly used.. Download and keep first... Its free
    Gorillacam
    Retrocamera
    HD Camera
    MoreNoel
    MoreLomo
    PS Mobile
    Darkroom
    PanoLab
    Tripod
    All in... Free
    HTC DHD rox 非澹泊无以明志, 非宁静无以致远 ☯ ♋ Flickr

Well, since the 12Gb of data is far too much for an average iphone user, we can use it to connect to a notebook and use the line to connect to the net. They call it tethering.

Just wonder if this 3G thingy is the same as those mobile broadband connection with the usb stick or modem.

I tried the 3G connection to notebook at home, seems to work fine, but in some locations, where the signal is weak, the 3G just dropped off. I have got better results with the Starhub usb stick.
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......

Format126 is easy to use