Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which CS members have given you the impetus ....

Default Which CS members have given you the impetus ....

This thread is dedicated to some of the brothers here, active or ex members, who have directly or indirectly given us the impetus to get interested in photography and to improve on our skills and understanding.

Kindly refrain from adding comments which will instantly transform this into a circus or a zoo party. Kindly name not more than 3 members at most, and if possible state the influencing factors. Please note that every one has difference "mentors" and as such there is no need to question any choices.

He can be anyone (but must be a current or ex-member here) who has influenced you in any small ways ....

For me, I have:
    1. Sulhan - in 2003 when I first started, didn't know much about the technical aspects of photography, joined Mr Sulhan in his "free" orientation course at the Botanical Garden for half a day. Though the class lesson was quite basic, that afternoon changed my interest. I was also impressed by him to impart and shared his knowledge on photography. Though he didn't know, those students have forever remembered him.
    The lesson I learned - we must keep teaching others what we know and never expect anything back. One day, one day , .......

2. Deadpoet - this famous member, unfortunately didn't see him around here anymore. Though most people are not in vibe with his style of c&c, but he has inspired and motivated many members here with his very harsh comments. Through them, I have learned to be critical with myself. Thanks, bro DP, I have learned much from you.

3. Bobman - this equally famous member has also given me an opportunity to appreciate the artistic aspects of the human bodies through the camera, which I thought was never possible in this conservative society, and which I thought was only available in the western world. Though there are many people who are suspicious and question his ulterior motives, my interest is only on his enterprising spirit to bring in good professional models at affordable budget prices for members to try out the artistic photography. Uncle Bob, wherever you are, we always remember you!
    always the Light, .... always.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Which CS members have given you the impetus ....

for me, i have
    me,
    me,
    me.

Why is kopitiam now turning into powderful England usage area? Dem cheem leh. I confused liao.

I repeat Canonised words...

No crap here.
    indie

Quote Originally Posted by leowyien View Post
    I repeat Canonised words...

No crap here.
    ya... i concur... * +1 *
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    ya... i concur... * +1 *
    And I.. concussed.

student - The only person in CS who influence me most. Thanks for his guidance for helping me into photography. I am glad and honour to meet him only once in the Grey Matters Exhibition. His words of wisdom still park in my brain.
    Last edited by phoakm; 11th May 2010 at 05:35 PM.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

The guys and gals from PhotoAid.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

I started getting serious about photography in early 2003 and met BraveHart in IRC. He introduced me to ClubSnap and functioned unofficially as my mentor in my fledging years. He was patient and kind to my endless questions and badgering on photography techniques, styles, equipment and others.

I felt really fortunate to have met BraveHart instead of a "laojiao" who would just screamed "You always want to be spoonfed! Go read online lah!". No matter how dumb my questions were, he always answers them as best as he could, without mocking or ridicule.

Thanks, BraveHart!

i think eikin's work brought across the fact that we can do more than just take pretty pictures overseas. his attitude towards photography, the way he critiqued works, and the passion with which he did it, that was inspiring. it is sad that we do not have more people like him.

can't say any of the portrait people inspired me, since i'm not into that.
    Last edited by night86mare; 11th May 2010 at 06:15 PM.

hahaha...nightmare...simply for his "Łnderwater" shots at sub zero degrees.
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    for me, i have
    me,
    me,
    me.
    How true.

It would be unfortunate that if I would need to depend on someone to give me impetus to be interested in photography.

The passion and the motivation have to come from yourself. The light has to shine within yourself without which the result is just a mere reflection or a mirror. It's not from the sun that radiates energy.

You have to walk the road alone yourself. You must have a sense of moment and a desire to see light.
    Last edited by Sion; 11th May 2010 at 06:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    How true.

It would be unfortunate that if I would need to depend on someone to give me impetus to be interested in photography.

The passion and the motivation have to come from yourself. The light has to shine within yourself without which the result is just a mere reflection or a mirror. It's not from the sun that radiates energy.

You have to walk the road alone yourself. You must have a sense of moment and a desire to see light.
    yep. its sorta like... if ur not motivated urself, who else can motivate u?
    remember. its a hobby, not a mimicking act. its always best to have ur own style. sure u can admire other ppl for their creativity and aspire to be like them, but once u reach their level u just stop meh? cannot be wad.

lifelong learning process. u rely on someone, and tat person will be ur limit. if u urself is ur own limit, u can realise that there are many boundaries to push past.

ps: realised this might be one of the most insightful stuff sion has ever said gonna end up in my list of quotes

1 more person. - mattlock for his maggi mee suscide
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

I still remember the first time when I saw melvynyeo's pics of a weevil in flight. Bought my first digicam in early 2005 and quickly become interested in taking macros. During then DSLRs were relatively more expensive, I couldn't afford one anyway. So was exploring macros with a Prosumer or P&S and then I stumbled upon Melvyn's photos. He was using a Fuji S602, reversed with a Minolta 50 F1.7 and Vivitar flash as slave. Simple set up, but his pics were extremely beautiful, sharp, well exposed - like nothing I had seen before. I was amazed at how much one can do with so little. It inspired me.

Every now and then I would take bad macro photos, feel frustrated and blame my equipment. And then I would remember: 3 Megapixel camera, manual lens, third party slave flash....

catchlights : for all the info dat he jot down, direct or indirectly i've learned thanz Ben

kongo: beautiful and subtle skintone to admire , love his works

night86mare : for all his a photo daily project and all his post in CS , and pls don't ask me why i like to read it,i jus like it ... hehehe

too bad it's 3 else got few more

cheers
    to continue press hex key , to return to main menu press star

hi though im still kinda new here in CS and in photography, they serves as my inspiration

1. Zeckson-simple..i love his works
    2. Draken-i dont know, though sometimes i dont understand his style im still impressed by his work (maybe because of his different pp style and diff subjects)
    3. Emptyform-though his main subject is sexy models, it helps me to see whats the difference between erotic and art work.

thanks to these CS people

hmm, starting with photography is really a personal motivation for me...but if TS is refering to "improve on our skills and understanding" I would really think most Cser are nice ppl who share willingly...ideas and technique wise...can't really pinpoint who the 3 would be...everybody...tt's 1 count right?
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

No one, not even myself.

night69mare

i prefer 69 than 86

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast