Thread: Think

Default Think

Something to read...

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion...i-1664368.html

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/436d73bc-3...44feabdc0.html

http://business.maktoob.com/20090000...rs/Article.htm

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle6936229.ece

Be careful if you are thinking of relocating to work in some other part of the world. Read the Canadian woman's story. Learn from other people.

It is not over. Someone generous helped it out for a while and they named the building after him. But is it sustainable for the rest of the debt.

So Greece now, then who is next.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 10th May 2010 at 10:52 PM.

Default Re: Think

Damn chim. Didn;t understand any of it. Is it something ab philosophy, socrates etc.?
    indie

Quote Originally Posted by leowyien View Post
    Damn chim. Didn;t understand any of it. Is it something ab philosophy, socrates etc.?
    Jeez. You're really epic. It's in plain and simple english and about economics.
    Alpha

Dubai was one of those places... like city of gold. Even I was tempted at one time, when friends and such were extolling how great it was, move there, get paid big bucks. Quick fortune. Hard to say "I told you so" when I don't even see some of those friends anymore but am glad for those who did well and exited early.

The problem is when things are bullish who wants to sell and exit? Easier to work hard and build things up slowly. Maybe contentment is the key, as mentioned in another thread.

interesting read on the Dubai article. it never crossed my mind that Dubai was in such a bad state. i always thought it's a haven for entertainment and work opportunities.
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

Read the comments at the bottom:

http://www.raisethehammer.org/article/781

Slavery in Dubai is already known, but hushed up not only by the Dubai government but also by the big foreign companies, and many just choose not to see it..........and there are more articles like this do a Google search

Open your eyes as some did in these articles and in ricohflex links......

Common sense would say that building these dream palaces, swimming pools, cooled beaches (!!) and what not in the desert, is just a waiting disaster to happen........where is the energy coming from? Oil is going to dry up soon, in about 50 years

Don't get mesmerized and hypnotized by all the hype and 'good stories', use your common sense!

Wake up lah!

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    You didn't know he is illiterate????

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Oooooh....Economics....

I haven't learned it yet. Anyone studied economics in university?
    indie

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    You didn't know he is illiterate????
    I did, but didn't know his reading comprehension was zero. I was giving the benefit of the doubt.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by leowyien View Post
    Oooooh....Economics....

I haven't learned it yet. Anyone studied economics in university?
    You never read the newspaper? Watch news? I learned about economics in high school.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    Read the comments at the bottom:

http://www.raisethehammer.org/article/781

Slavery in Dubai is already known, but hushed up not only by the Dubai government but also by the big foreign companies, and many just choose not to see it..........and there are more articles like this do a Google search

Open your eyes as some did in these articles and in ricohflex links......

Common sense would say that building these dream palaces, swimming pools, cooled beaches (!!) and what not in the desert, is just a waiting disaster to happen........where is the energy coming from? Oil is going to dry up soon, in about 50 years

Don't get mesmerized and hypnotized by all the hype and 'good stories', use your common sense!

Wake up lah!
    Yes and no. 50 years is a long time to come. By then we could be using portable nuclear devices the size of a car engine (think "Mr Fusion" from DeLorean Time Machine). I think the problem with Dubai was not quite expected especially back in the early 2000s when it was a very attractive place to make a quick buck. Not many of us expected the problems that started to surface with Dubai in 2007, 2008 (maybe some did, I was definitely one of the more ignorant ones) when the last financial crisis came.

In any case, like stock markets, you don't invest for 50 years; there are more immediate investments, even long term ones that are only a few years long.

And while I'm at it, must put disclaimer that I am not anti-green and promote reckless usage of oil (yes, it is going to run out... SOON! But "soon" is still a couple of decades away)