Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Normal for macro lens?

Default Re: Normal for macro lens?

Just want to make sure you've covered all grounds...

When you shoot, I'd assume you either use a timer function (10 secs just to be safe). Or Shutter release cable attached? Either of these are very important for Macro shooting...

I'm into Macro photography too, and I'm still learning...

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Just want to make sure you've covered all grounds...

When you shoot, I'd assume you either use a timer function (10 secs just to be safe). Or Shutter release cable attached? Either of these are very important for Macro shooting...

I'm into Macro photography too, and I'm still learning...
    His problem is that his lens is not stopping down even though he has physically set the aperture on the lens. Nothing to do with timer/tripod/shutter release ba....

Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    His problem is that his lens is not stopping down even though he has physically set the aperture on the lens. Nothing to do with timer/tripod/shutter release ba....
    Okie.... You win!

Question, stopping down automatically done by the cam itself right? One just need to set the aperture only, correct?
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 15th May 2010 at 08:31 PM.

I guess one way to test your lens is what I do for mine with my D90.

If your view finder doesn't show any difference while turning the aperture ring, change it to Live Mode. A few of my manual lens does not show any difference in the view finder but when I use it in Live Mode, it actually shows it being damn bright at 2.8 and it gets darker as it goes up to 16.

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Okie.... You win!

Question, stopping down automatically done by the cam itself right? One just need to set the aperture only, correct?
    Erm, he's using a Vivitar lens which I gather from what he has written, is not chipped.
    On a Nikon you can set the lens' data manually for metering to work if your model allows.

Anyways, aperture is set physically on manual lenses............ We are not talking about your average AFS/AFD/AF lenses here (although you can set aperture by physically turning the ring on AFD and AF lenses).

If it works properly, the camera will release the prong and stop down to the set aperture when the exposure is made. It sounds like Spikey86's lens' "diaphragm prong" (don't know the technical name) is stuck at wide open with the body he's using.

Quote Originally Posted by livideyez View Post
    I guess one way to test your lens is what I do for mine with my D90.

If your view finder doesn't show any difference while turning the aperture ring, change it to Live Mode. A few of my manual lens does not show any difference in the view finder but when I use it in Live Mode, it actually shows it being damn bright at 2.8 and it gets darker as it goes up to 16.
    Good point. Sounds like a good idea.

Doubt that Spikey86 will see any difference in brightness even with liveview.

U guys rox, jus a latest update, for some strange reason my lens is now back to normal, i am now able to see the things behind using f16, hopefully it will not revert back to "f2.8" again when i'm using f16...

wait, you mean for nikon users, when you set the aperture to be stopped down, the lens will not stop down immediately?

for pentax, through viewfinder, when stopping down and lens mounted, the lens aperture will become smaller immediately. you will definitely see a difference from f/2.8 - f/16 as the view TTL will be much dimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    wait, you mean for nikon users, when you set the aperture to be stopped down, the lens will not stop down immediately?

for pentax, through viewfinder, when stopping down and lens mounted, the lens aperture will become smaller immediately. you will definitely see a difference from f/2.8 - f/16 as the view TTL will be much dimmer.
    Yes, that is true for both my DSLR and manual SLR with manual lenses that have aperture indexing and are mounted directly to the bodies.

I lose this function (on both cameras) when I use extension tubes but it's not the case with my Nikon teleconverter.

Take the lens out and shine a torchlight through it, turn the aperture ring from 2.8 to 16 and see if the blades do close down narrower. If it does, your lens is fine, if it doesn't, it means problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12